Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve on Improving the TF2 Experience

The Team Fortress 2 Blog has an update on how they are addressing the problem of finding a good server on which to play. They have implemented a scoring system that allows them to get an idea of which servers are not providing a good user experience based on the frequency of player disconnections. Word is: "Our first step in improving this part of the player experience has been to delist all the really bad servers. The master server will simply stop giving these to you when you fire up the serverbrowser. After that, we're going to keep improving our ability to measure this kind of problem."

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Valve on Improving the TF2 Experience Mar 13, 2009, 19:43 Number6

I'd rather read "Valve On: Where The F Episode 3 Is"  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Valve on Improving the TF2 Experience Mar 13, 2009, 18:13 everyone

Now all they have to do is put in an option which bans all the Scout upgrades, and makes it enabled by default!  

14. Re: Weekend Sales Mar 13, 2009, 10:09 Armengar

At GTFO we dont have additional empty slots, if an admin joins then it kicks someone else off. A bit nasty but then again we dont have a slot open (which tricks your "exclude full servers" box)

Plus this is a bit turd for us admins. I regularly drop out of one server to join another to swing the banhammer only to rejoin the game I was on.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2009, 10:10.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

13. Re: Valve on Improving the TF2 Experience Mar 13, 2009, 04:22 Flatline

Is there room for abuse on this though?

Could a clan sink/delist a server they have a grudge with by simply connecting and disconnecting frequently for say a week or so?

It'd be interesting if they track unique IDs and also the interval between connect and disconnect. An algorithm that takes these two factors into account would be far less prone to abuse.

12. Re: Valve on Improving the TF2 Experience Mar 13, 2009, 03:04 Wilson

I can honestly say I've never had the problems that you guys are discussing. My problem with reserved slots is that all kinds of servers these days are really actually full as far as unreserved slots, but because of reserved slots they don't look full and don't act full. I've just learned to ignore every nearly-full server that has an odd number of player slots or is two people short. It's an annoyance since it subverts a number of the nice features of the Steam server browser.  

11. Re: Weekend Sales Mar 13, 2009, 01:42 Dev

Hmm good point about the reserved slots.

JaZeeL: Is it possible to hide reserved slots on server from the browser? If so, then I agree.

Otherwise I'm not sure, I don't currently, but I used to play on some good CS servers that had reserved slots and I'd hate to see good servers go away from the list.

10. Re: Valve on Improving the TF2 Experience Mar 13, 2009, 01:00 Prez

Make... a... favorites list?

I'd rather make an exclusion list. I play on dozens of different servers, as I like variety. It would be a great help to be able to block the ones that infuriatingly lie about the player totals and the ones with the asinine reserved slots.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2009, 01:00.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Valve on Improving the TF2 Experience Mar 12, 2009, 23:43 rist3903

About time, valve. Do it for l4d too.  

8. Re: Valve on Improving the TF2 Experience Mar 12, 2009, 23:22 JaZeeL

Awesome. This is one of my biggest peeves; attempting to join that server with 2 slots open only to find they're both reserved. The jackasses should hide the slots like a responsible administrator would.  

7. Re: Valve on Improving the TF2 Experience Mar 12, 2009, 22:56 PHJF

Make... a... favorites list?  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Valve on Improving the TF2 Experience Mar 12, 2009, 22:50 Caveman

It's about fucking time, I hate joining servers with fake populations and then leaving right away, hopefully these will teach those assholes a lesson.  

5. Re: Valve on Improving the TF2 Experience Mar 12, 2009, 22:46 Riker

Outstanding! I hate running into those shitty servers, along with servers that look like they have an opening, which turns out to be a reserved slot. It's nice to see Valve doing something about the first problem, at least.

What's the point in tricking people to join your empty server? If you're going to do that, why have a server at all? Losers.

(And I agree, it sounds like a router problem.)

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 2009, 22:48.

4. Re: Valve on Improving the TF2 Experience Mar 12, 2009, 22:46 theyarecomingforyou

I think this is a great idea. I hate the servers that pretend they have players on only for me to join and be the only one there.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

3. Re: Valve on Improving the TF2 Experienc Mar 12, 2009, 22:21 human

"crashing the internet" = thumbs up  

2. Re: Valve on Improving the TF2 Experience Mar 12, 2009, 21:49 Fang

It sounds like its a problem with your router, not Steam. This is a well known problem with certain routers that have started coming out in the last few years. Verizon Fios was giving away a router that was notorious with this problem.

Or do other server browsers not crash your "internet".

My guess is that any other server browser will cause your router to lock up, and having bittorrent running for a long time, or anything else that creates multiple connections (100+) with other computers.

1. Re: Valve on Improving the TF2 Experience Mar 12, 2009, 21:42 Valcor

My biggest problem with their server browser is the fact it crashes my internet whenever I need to refresh it. Because of this, I've been stuck using the server history tab with the same 5 servers on it for months.  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo