Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Patched

A new patch for Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II is now automatically available via Steam to fix three bugs in Relic's sci-fi RTS sequel. There is a fix for problems with Population Caps during reinforcement, for a problem that prevented owners of high-end graphics cards from selecting the Ultra graphics settings, and "a Fatal Scar error in Mission D (Angel Forge)." They note the fix for the Pop Cap bug is to be followed by a more complete fix, but the remaining instances of the issue are "rare and require intended exploitation in order to recreate."

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Patched Mar 12, 2009, 09:46 KilrathiAce

Yea obviously they just test to make sure gfwl is not affected in negative ways with every patch, thats all they care about.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Patched Mar 12, 2009, 02:48 Jerykk

Pop Cap bug was fixed completely with code changes but that build is not available yet for a patch because its delayed by waiting for MS certification.

I really have to question the point of MS certification. All the patches introduced thus far have fixed some things and broken others. If a patch has to be certified, shouldn't it fix everything? Or is MS just testing whether or not the patch breaks worthless crap like GFWL?

17. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Patched Mar 11, 2009, 05:45 KilrathiAce

Further, Relic put in another undocumented change into this patch:

Upkeep used to kick in after 30 pop-cap, it now kicks in instantly. To make up for that, req had to be increased, otherwise it would have slowed the pace of the game down drastically. Spamming T1 units will not give anyone a particular advantage -- as your pop-cap increases your req rate decreases.

Furthermore, all original functionality will be restored with the code fix for the pop cap issue. I think the vast majority of us can agree that the current balance is better than the existing bug, particularly for the short term.

This is a temporary change that had to be put into effect to work with the pop-cap fix. No permanent/intentional balance changes were "snuck in" with this patch.

Once the code fix for pop-cap goes live the original way will be restored.

http://community.dawnofwar2.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=15486

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"

16. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Patched Mar 11, 2009, 03:10 KilrathiAce

The patch is out already, and you people still bitch. I hate all of you.

Because its not a complete fix patch, read Relic explaination first before you jump to conclusions. Pop Cap bug was fixed completely with code changes but that build is not available yet for a patch because its delayed by waiting for MS certification. So the patch we have out right now fixes the bug through data modification and supposedly not completely. Plus it took nearly 3 weeks to get this, so dont say "already".

Further, someone mentioned patch is 150MB as it states on Relic blog. This is funny becuase when I checked my steam bandwith monitor it listed 75MB downloaded when the game patched itself.

15. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Patched Mar 10, 2009, 23:14 theyarecomingforyou

Yeah. People seem to forget that the Warhammer universe doesn't have base building... DOWII is a lot more faithful to the franchise than DOW. It's a shame that people are too resistant to change to appreciate it for what it is. Oh well, let the moaning continue.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

14. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Patched Mar 10, 2009, 23:03 Fausticle

There's not a lot of games I really truly enjoy. Every once in a while a game comes out, in spite of it's flaws, that I'll play to death. This is one of those games

Battlefield 1942 was another one of those games that had a ton of bugs but I played the hell out of.

I think it took some balls for Relic to get rid of base building and I like the game more for that.

All those people who wanted "Dawn of War 1 but prettier" can choke on a dick.

13. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Pat Mar 10, 2009, 21:49 Caveman

The patch is out already, and you people still bitch. I hate all of you.  

12. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Pat Mar 10, 2009, 21:28 Warskull

The beta was a disaster. They are past that and I think this is their first test dealing with problems in the field. And you're unhappy because they didn't start working on this approx 1-2 weeks before the problem was found?

No, he's unhappy because they failed to test their product. The pop-cap bug wasn't some crazy obscure bug. It was something that all you had to do was reinforce a squad to full. Players discovered it and reporting it in less than 24hrs after release.

So either their QA department is terrible or relic knew about this and decided to go ahead without trying to fix it pre-release.

It was easily reproduced, it was easily found, this isn't some crash bug that took a specific set-up to trigger. This is a bug that affected every single multiplayer game.

They did poor testing and/or pushed a bad patch when they knew they had a terrible support system in place. Sadly, it looks like this sort of behavior is becoming standard for Relic.

This all boils down to one giant warning sign that says if you have not purchased DoW II do not purchase it and avoid Relic products in the future.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2009, 21:29.

11. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Patched Mar 10, 2009, 19:37 Tumbler

So, please dont tell me the timeline is fine. There was a week wasted during pre release beta.

They're going to be fixing other bugs in the future, they can't travel back in time and fix things, so they have to troubleshoot and fix as things come up.

The beta was a disaster. They are past that and I think this is their first test dealing with problems in the field. And you're unhappy because they didn't start working on this approx 1-2 weeks before the problem was found?

Ok then.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

10. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Patched Mar 10, 2009, 18:50 MMORPGHoD

LOL, it's only a 150MB patch. Seems, like we're going backwards from the old days. Just click on one of the many mirror links, download in seconds, and apply. Easy. No certification, no special delivery systems. Not so easy when your options are limited...

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2009, 19:01.

9. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Patched Mar 10, 2009, 18:24 Overon

Yeah I think GFWL slows down the patching process tremendously. It completely makes makes useless steam's ability to patch quickly. I think other than the matchmaking system which is superior to steam's, I think it's a mistake. If only steam has a better peer to peer matchmaking system. I know left4dead was valve's first attempt at this. But hopefully they will make it's superior to gfwl's system and then there will be no reason to use gfwl in future games (other than getting kickback from microsoft for using it).

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2009, 18:27.

8. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Patched Mar 10, 2009, 18:10 KilrathiAce

Here if further proof how usage of GFWL is hindering Relic with DoW2 support, just read Relic dev post explaining this patch:

http://community.dawnofwar2.com/viewtopic.php?p=265234#p265234

Notice how they spent a lot of work and time on fixing this bug using data only fix, while code based fix is quick and easy, but they cannot release code fix until it passes certification etc....

7. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Patched Mar 10, 2009, 17:20 KilrathiAce

Tumbler... this release day-0 patch that actually introduced the pop cap bug was available 8 days before game was out, and during open beta Relic decided not to release the day-0 patch to the open beta players because they were lazy and didnt wanna bother with the effort. Now, if they actually released the patch to open beta, players would catch this bug within first day, this would speed up entire process of getting this pop cap bug out of the way. So, please dont tell me the timeline is fine. There was a week wasted during pre release beta.

Further this is just data patch and not actual code fix. This is why they call this patch "1 of 2" and why this bug may not even be fixed correctly. Why? Because code changes require MS certification which can take about 2 weeks. In fact they supposedly had code fix in certification process but pulled it back since they most likely want more issues addressed with the real patch. Since any code changes require certification they cannot simply roll out patches quickly. It's been nearly 3 weeks since pop cap bug was found. Its critical bug as far as multiplayer is concerned.

6. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Patched Mar 10, 2009, 17:18 Tumbler

save mid game? I never had a mission that lasted more then 30 mins, most were around 15 min. That's a non issue for me as its a design call. Saving mid game would "cheapen" the the whole game anyway.

Playing on the hardest difficulty level ramps up the time needed to finish a mission. I think I was level 10 or so and the missions would take 45 min to work my way around the map and complete it properly. I've had multiple times where I couldn't stick around long enough to finish the mission so I'd lose that progress and have to do it again.

Would love a save feature. Dieing right around the end of the mission then having to do the whole thing over isn't fun.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2009, 17:21.

5. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Patched Mar 10, 2009, 17:09 Dr.Hamstring

save mid game? I never had a mission that lasted more then 30 mins, most were around 15 min. That's a non issue for me as its a design call. Saving mid game would "cheapen" the the whole game anyway.

Not being able to bind keys is really annoying. But after awhile I got used to it. Then having totally different keys for MP is just frustrating. That alone made me quit out and buy Total war.

4. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Pat Mar 10, 2009, 16:56 Tumbler

The bug was pretty darn obvious, but they just released with it in there anyway. That's just releasing a half finished game in my book. Call me crazy, but my standards say that when you put the game on sale it should be free of game breaking bugs.

I don't think the bug was there in the beta so I don't think they released it that way, I thought it was part of the zero day patch which was never released to the beta folks...

I could be wrong? I just don't remember hearing anything about this pop cap bug until after the game launched. (and I encountered it 1 time during my online games so far so it was never that big an issue for me, but plenty of people talked about it...) And when a bug surfaces like this is takes some time to identify it and put it above others for priority so time line seems fairly good.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2009, 16:59.

3. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Patched Mar 10, 2009, 16:54 Grobschnitt

I wish I did not waste my money on this game. It requires Steam AND GFWL it took me almost 2 hours jumping though hoops to install and get it going. Played about a dozen SP missions and a bit of multiplayer and wished I never bought it. Game crashed a few times and had to start a few missions over and over again from the start because of the stupid GFWL save system. Why can't we save half/part way though a mission like almost all PC games ever?

I hate that feeling when you buy a dud and are stuck with it and out good $$. God must love the software/media industry.

No Refund! Thanks and free beta test for us again please.

2. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Pat Mar 10, 2009, 16:41 Warskull

The fix the did was a half-fix that never went through MS (and probably never through steam.)

That still a game breaking bug that pretty much destroyed multiplayer in the game for nearly a full 3 weeks.

The bug was pretty darn obvious, but they just released with it in there anyway. That's just releasing a half finished game in my book. Call me crazy, but my standards say that when you put the game on sale it should be free of game breaking bugs.

1. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Patched Mar 10, 2009, 15:27 Tumbler

This seems like the first patch addressing issues that were discovered after launch...right?

So turn around on patches is...

Game launched on February 18.

I'll say it took a week to really notice and get enough attention to look at this problem in detail....

So approx Feb 25th and today is March 10... so that is 13 days... of which 9 were working business days (25,26,27,2,3,4,5,6,9).

That is pretty friggin good in my book. It sucks that today is effectively 3 weeks later but when you really look at the numbers I think Relic did a great job.

I was all ready to harass them about taking so long to patch this but 9 days isn't that fucking bad. You could even shave a day off for submitting it to steam and MS. ( AT LEAST )

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo