Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Legends of Zork not an MMORPG

Activision and Jolt Online Gaming sent out their first newsletter for Legends of Zork looking to expand their beta group and promising that more details about the game will be released in the next few days (thanks Kxmode). One thing they want to clarify right now is that the game will not be an MMORPG, as has been speculated:

Now, a word about LoZ (as we affectionately call it). I've been reading a lot of speculation about what kind of a game this will be and I really want to set expectations correctly. LoZ is a casual adventure game. We've designed it to be the kind of game that sneaks into your soul and steals about 20mins of your time each day. It's not an MMO (collective sigh of relief, I'd imagine). We genuinely think it's a worthy addition to the Zork universe but at the same time we know that some of you won't agree. You'll have the opportunity to try it out very soon though.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Legends of Zork not an MMORPG Mar 11, 2009, 14:49 Kxmode

You are standing outside a small white house.

> get yee flask_

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Legends of Zork not an MMORPG Mar 10, 2009, 21:10 Elricsi

The writing was top notch on the first 3. It's more like reading a book (in whatever order you like) than a current game.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2009, 21:10.

7. Re: Legends of Zork not an MMORPG Mar 10, 2009, 19:36 LittleMe

> open mailbox_

Perpetual debt is slavery.

6. Re: Legends of Zork not an MMORPG Mar 10, 2009, 15:50 Cutter

Can't say I'd want to play a text only adventure

Ahh you missed great times MUDding! whilst Zork wasn't a MUD it was still good times. The whole text based/ANSI/ASCII games of yor were pretty awesome because they had to rely on creativity to keep you hooked, and not just pretty artwork which is the schlock that is most of todays games.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

5. Re: Legends of Zork not an MMORPG Mar 10, 2009, 15:06 kimbambaman

I am compelled to do the following anytime Zork is mentioned, so I apologize in advance...

> _

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2009, 15:06.

"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

4. Re: Legends of Zork not an MMORPG Mar 10, 2009, 14:20 Mangrove

Aero: Yeah I was thinking more about the later incarnations. Can't say I'd want to play a text only adventure, although I have played Legend's Gateway series recently, but they did have some quite nice graphics as well as text.

Might have to check them out. If only for the novelty of playing an fmv game for the first time in about a decade Only ones I can recall having are The 7th Guest and Spycraft, which were pretty good.

3. Re: Legends of Zork not an MMORPG Mar 10, 2009, 14:00 NKD

We genuinely think it's a worthy addition to the Zork universe but at the same time we know that some of you won't agree.

Which of course means "Everyone who likes Zork will hate it but some other people might like it. Sorry guys, we're shitting on your franchise."

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

2. Re: Legends of Zork not an MMORPG Mar 10, 2009, 13:28 Aero

That depends. The original games were all text based adventure games (similar to MUD's), so they'd be a little hard to swallow these days. I actually had a giant floppy version of the first one when I was a kid, I forget which size, but much bigger than 5.25's, but it was a relic at that point--I'm not that old.

Return to Zork had graphics, kind of pointy and clicky like Myst or The 7th Guest, and was likewise near the beginning of the whole FMV thing, and lord knows that was sort of a dark time in computer gaming history. It was okay though I guess, at least I thought so at the time.

There were others following, I've never played any of those.

I imagine they're all going to feel pretty dated no matter which you play. They were definitely cool in their way though.

1. Re: Legends of Zork not an MMORPG Mar 10, 2009, 11:59 Mangrove

Never played any of the zork games. Worth a blast?  

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo