Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

H.A.W.X Interview

There's a Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X interview on Student Life talking with Shane Bierwith about the upcoming aerial combat game. The conversation covers the game's more accessible approach than a full flight simulator, but they also discuss ways of achieving a more realistic experience: "There are also settings in the game where you can switch...to expert mode, and itís more of a realistic, simulator-type experience. Iím not going to say that this is a flight simulator, because thatís not what it is, but if you use a flight stick, if you change the settings to expert mode [and] if you play in the cockpit, all these different elements will definitely give you more of a simulation experience. We donít want to count out the hard-core guys, because I think theyíd love this game as much as newcomers would." Thanks Chris.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: H.A.W.X Interview Apr 28, 2009, 00:47 seismic

Fencer you @#$^(* !!!! its "Seismic" from back in the FA/JOGC days. WTH happened to all of the missions from the "Fighters Anthology Mission Exchange" ? It's a decase later and I still miss those stupid things.

Check Six

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: H.A.W.X Interview Mar 11, 2009, 04:06 Craig

Hey guys, I wrote the interview over at Student Life (Wash. U.'s student newspaper). Thanks for reading!

It's a little hostile in here, but I think the choice of modes is really a matter of preference. I like playing in Assistance OFF because I feel much more in control (dodging missiles in ON mode is just turning randomly and praying for me ). But one of my floormates loves to use ERS (the blue gates that you can use as guidance in ON mode) so he played mostly in Assistance ON.

26. Re: H.A.W.X Interview Mar 7, 2009, 11:35 Cutter

Holy shit does it ever sound like their are some viral marketers at work in this thread. No amount of your lies will convince serious sim users that this game is anything but pure arcade. And no, they most certainly will not love it, much less even like it. So stfu with your BS already.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadÖ Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

25. Re: H.A.W.X Interview Mar 7, 2009, 08:29 StingingVelvet

I'm pretty sure that new Helicopter sim... Black Shark? Black Hawk?... comes with a 400 page manual, going by the PC Gamer review. They also state it is a hard core sim. You have a bunch of games like that coming out, as well as FSX mods and add-ons.

The sim market is alive and well, just not mainstream, and no one should expect it to be. HAWX is a mainstream game, and thus not a sim... Sim fans act like they do not get any games anymore, but their genre is actually alive and well, as are hardcore RPGs, you just have to look for them and look outside the normal Best Buy stock.

The only old genre really absent from today's market at all is true tactical shooters.

24. Re: H.A.W.X Interview Mar 7, 2009, 00:22 Charlie_Six

no no, the game was totally playable without reading the 200 page book. Fighters Anthology was a very simple and fun game, very casual friendly. Not QUITE as casual friendly as HAWX or Ace Combat 6, but still very easy to play.

The 200 page book was just something I read because I loved the game so much, and that I found helpful for creating missions in the editor with.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

23. Re: H.A.W.X Interview Mar 6, 2009, 17:26 Wildone

Well in the ass view, the planes doing loops and higher G turns with pressure clouds coming off it and seems alot more free'er in what it can do and they even say that the limiters are off so you can do more, stall ect. When I played in the dumbass mode, I was not able to produce the pressure clouds or do high G maneuvers, I doubt they would add the effects just for the sake of the view so I concluded indeed the flight model is nerfed with assistance on (not surprisingly)  

22. Re: H.A.W.X Interview Mar 6, 2009, 17:22 GeneralAdmission

It really is a shame that tutorial level is so terrible... it really turned a lot of people off the game. I know I was yelling at it and calling it shite until I tried the actual first mission.
Same experience I had. The developers really shot themselves in the foot with that tutorial.
What difference do the planes make?
From what I've played there are some different armaments and some minor variations in speed/maneuverability. The game is most definitely NOT a sim, though, so flight dynamics and such don't come close to realism.
Why is the plane SO much more maneuverable in that view?
I haven't found any limitations imposed on the other views. Maybe there are, but it hasn't felt that way to me.
the external camera is a lot of fun and definitely my preferred way to play.
After adjusting to how it works, it actually can feel like playing a movie, which is a pretty cool experience, and it should make for awesome screenshots/videos.

21. Re: H.A.W.X Interview Mar 6, 2009, 17:16 Wildone

Oh yea and the remark about sim guys not wanting it easy is nonsensical.
People who play sims want the challenge of experience the plane/car/whatever as REALISTICALLY as possible given that they're sittin infront of a PC monitor, that aside..its the challenge of learning how the plane handles, its particular flight characteristics (of which there is absolutely NONE in Hawx, well they threw in the stall
which happens a bit too easily for a high performance jet) and knowing you face some of the issues real pilots might face in that jet.
Does that translate to "difficult"? For some maybe it might, but its not difficult for its own sake. Having a CHOICE over if you want to play in 3rd or 1st person is certainly not asking too much, and they tout the "full" mode and "assistance on" for HAWX as 2 different things, presumably the FULL mode is for us SIM heads, but they also restricted it to a completely useless tactical view with no option to change it? THATS RETARDED.

20. Re: H.A.W.X Interview Mar 6, 2009, 17:11 Wildone

Your missing the point, what irks me and a lot of people, is that the plane actually handles quite well in this view..SO WHY NOT ENABLE THAT FOR COCKPIT VIEW TOO??! You must be one of the few who find it easy or 'fun' to play in because its totally retarded, odd, weird & not much of an advantage worth the hassle. They're excuse being that people cant figure out whats going on from an inside view is complete crap. MS Flight sim is no good example as their so called 'flight model' isn't much more than an arcade game to begin with actually.  

19. Re: H.A.W.X Interview Mar 6, 2009, 15:38 Ataneruo

I just tried the demo, and I don't know why all of you are whining so much about the external camera. This game definitely feels like an arcade style game, not a sim, so don't buy it if you want a sim. With that said, the external camera is a lot of fun and definitely my preferred way to play. Yes it's not a terribly EASY view to use, but isn't that exactly what you sim guys want? It kind of brought me back to the early days of MS Flight Sim, I would use the external view whenever possible...  
~~~~~~~~~~~~

18. Re: H.A.W.X Interview Mar 6, 2009, 15:25 Wildone

Obviously thats a joke just to sell books, theres no way it could have 200 pages of strategy for an ARCADE shooter WTF!!  

17. Re: H.A.W.X Interview Mar 6, 2009, 14:11 Lord Tea

I loved reading over the 200+ page strategy guide/reference book

welcome to 2009 then. People DON'T read 200+ page manuals anymore, they want fast food, served on their consoles.

UPSA = United Police States of America

16. Re: H.A.W.X Interview Mar 6, 2009, 13:56 Wildone

Right because thats pretty much all its good for, doing wacky uncontrollable maneuvers to dodge missiles..

Why is the plane SO much more maneuverable in that view, dont you feel cheated when you get back to cockpit view (assistance ON) the flight model is even more nerfed???! Basically you have a massless 3d camera that shoots rockets. WHERES THE SKILL?!?

"I occasionally switch to 3rd or "Assistance Off" for defensive maneuvers.
"

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2009, 13:57.

15. Re: H.A.W.X Interview Mar 6, 2009, 13:54 Wildone

What difference do the planes make, I saw a video of someone flying around an SR71 like a FIGHTER JET, it was ridiculous. Might as well have been a giant banana for all the difference it makes. The plane actually can OUTRUN the missles all the while pulling Gs and what not..I know its arcade but thats really taking the piss!  

14. Re: H.A.W.X Interview Mar 6, 2009, 12:47 StingingVelvet

It really is a shame that tutorial level is so terrible... it really turned a lot of people off the game. I know I was yelling at it and calling it shite until I tried the actual first mission.  

13. Re: H.A.W.X Interview Mar 6, 2009, 12:15 GeneralAdmission

There is a cockpit view as well as a HUD-only 1st person view (much better for offense). I occasionally switch to 3rd or "Assistance Off" for defensive maneuvers.

This mod unlocks a number of features for the demo, including several planes:
http://gib.me/hawx/instructions.html

From what I've seen of the demo, this game won't get $50 from me. At half that price I might pick it up. It does look very nice in Triplehead.

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2009, 12:16.

12. Re: H.A.W.X Interview Mar 6, 2009, 12:00 Charlie_Six

I was really hoping HAWX would follow in the footsteps of the Jane's Fighters games. (Advanced Tactical fighters, Fighters Anthology). Those games were not realistic, but they had enough depth to them that they were more than just arcade flight games. I loved reading over the 200+ page strategy guide/reference book, too.

Buuut.. nope, HAWX is very arcadey. I didn't think the Tom Clancy name would be put on such an arcadey game.

I'm surprised you say it's better than Ace Combat 6. The demo did not give me that impression at all. But I haven't played the full game yet. So maybe I will enjoy the campaign when I do get it.

Did anyone here visit my Fighters Anthology Mission eXchange website (FAMX)? I went by "Fencer" back then

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2009, 12:01.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

11. Re: H.A.W.X Interview Mar 6, 2009, 11:22 Wildone

Come on lets hear him blab about the 'expert mode' I wanna hear the genius thinking behind this..!!!!!  

10. Re: H.A.W.X Interview Mar 6, 2009, 10:37 theyarecomingforyou

I didn't have any desire to play past the infuriating tutorial mission. The third-person camera was poor as well and it never gave me the opportunity for cockpit view. All I know is that I played the demo and hated it. If the rest of the game is actually good, and I have my doubts, then it's their own fault for releasing a bad demo.

Regardless, I have no intention of buying it. It's £35 on Steam and £18 at retail. I don't buy games at retail so there's no fucking way I'm paying twice the price I have to because Ubisoft wants to fleece Steam customers. Idiots.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

9. Re: H.A.W.X Interview Mar 6, 2009, 10:11 GeneralAdmission

Aside from the tutorial mission, the external camera (Assistance Off mode) is entirely optional. The external cam mode suffers from a horribly confusing name...it should have been called a 'Dogfight Cam.'

Plane control has Normal and Expert modes. Expert mode is realistic. Normal "helps" players by making turns a one-step action: push left and the plane will rotate 90 degrees and bank left automatically. Play on Expert mode.

Once I got past the very poor tutorial mission the game was a lot of fun.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo