Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price

Steam is offering a free Unreal Tournament III Black (the original game plus the new Titan Pack) trial weekend to anyone with a Steam account, allowing the chance to sample Epic's multiplayer shooter and its new content. They are also offering a 40% off sale price on purchases of the UT3 Black through March 15. Thanks BeyondUnreal.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

28. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 5, 2009, 21:13 GT

Uh, why shouldn't paying customers get bandwidth priority?
I don't disagree with that. The problem is that Valve is such a control freak that it won't allow third-parties to mirror the files so that everyone can download it. There's no sense in having a free weekend for a game like this one which is 8GB+ in size if there isn't enough bandwidth available for people to actually download it during the weekend. If you're not going to provide enough bandwidth during the weekend, then the trial period should instead be any three days the user chooses after the game is downloaded. Steam is certainly capable of enforcing such a personalized trial period since it can already enable and disable games for individual user accounts.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 5, 2009, 21:13 StreetPreacher

+1 RP.

I seriously don't get the sense of entitlement by people who haven't paid a penny for the thing. Better yet, why not give paying customers a 24 or 48 hour exclusive for downloads, and THEN let everyone and their brother in (while still giving paying customers priority)?

I'm at least glad to see that they thought ahead enough to give priority to actual customers.

26. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 5, 2009, 21:04 RP

Uh, why shouldn't paying customers get bandwidth priority? I bought the game back in December so I sure as shit expect better download speeds than some free weekend guy.

Ideally, there'd be enough bandwidth for everyone, but if there's not, customers come first. And I agree: using bittorrent for free weekend downloads is better than having the servers melt down. But as a paying customer, I'm getting the service I expect. I can't speak for others who've actually purchased UT3, though.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2009, 21:10.

25. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 5, 2009, 20:57 GT

Well I figured out the reason for the crappy downloads from Steam by reading Steam's connection log. Apparently Valve gives users who haven't paid for the game the lowest priority quality of service (QoS) for downloads and when the connection times-out (which it frequently does given the low QoS), the retry is delayed by 260-380 seconds. It's no wonder the damn thing keeps stalling out.

So thanks a lot, Valve, for the shitty service and for no third-party mirrors. The fucking pirates provide better service than that.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2009, 21:06.

24. Re: Don't bother with the whole download. Mar 5, 2009, 20:08 GT

Where are you downloading from?
A better question is where haven't I tried downloading it because I have tried just about all of the U.S. locations. They all eventually stall (like right now). I suggest you leave Steam's bandwidth monitor open so you can see for yourself.

Steam needs to take a page from Blizzard and use bittorent.
Yeah, Steam needs to have its customers subsidize its bandwidth in addition to paying for the games. Sure, Bittorrent is fine for freeloaders like me, but if you paid for the game you sure as hell should be getting premium quality downloads and not have to use your own upstream especially with more U.S. ISP's starting to impose usage caps and overage charges.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2009, 20:16.

23. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 5, 2009, 20:06 GT

I haven't even bothered to install it as I know it'll run like shit...

For those who care:
P4 3.2
2 GB pc3200 ram
800mhz bus speed
Geforce 7800 256mb AGP

Cry for me...just a little.

You'll get no sympathy from me because you can run the game on that rig. Just set the video resolution to 800x600. You don't even need to turn off all of the effects. Medium (3) settings should work for most things, but don't dare use AA or AF. I've run UT3 on a lesser video card than yours (7600GT) although the CPU was dual-core Pentium D instead of just the single-core version like yours. So long as you don't have too many bots or player characters in the game at one time (10 or 12 is about the limit), the game should stay above 30fps at that resolution on the official maps. UT3 is surprisingly CPU intensive so overclocking can significantly improve performance on really low-end setups like yours. Going from 3GHz to 3.6GHz on Pentium D made 14-16 player botmatches possible in my testing.

22. Re: Don't bother with the whole download. Mar 5, 2009, 20:00 RP

Where are you downloading from? The Northwest server is providing me with a consistent 700 KB/s download rate.

Steam needs to take a page from Blizzard and use bittorent.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2009, 20:05.

21. Don't bother with the whole download. Mar 5, 2009, 19:52 GT

Download speeds on this from Steam are terrible, and they periodically stop altogether. I've changed download locations in Steam four times now over the past six hours (and had to restart Steam each time because Valve doesn't know how to design a download client worth a damn), and still I can't get a consistent and decent download speed. The damn weekend will be over before I download all 8GB+ of this from Steam.

Valve, this is why other game developers and publishers have third-parties mirror their game files. Five plus years into Steam and this is still a problem at every popular game release and update. Crytek and EA did this the right way for the free Crysis Wars multiplayer week by having all the major game websites mirror the game files.

My money says the Pirate Bay version plus manual download patch and Titan pack will also work for the free weekend since UT3 uses Gamespy and not Steam for its multiplayer functionality anyway.

20. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 5, 2009, 19:51 Nameless Again

I actually already have UT3 as it was given to me by a friend, but my computer is so outdated, I haven't even bothered to install it as I know it'll run like shit. I've never even played the demo...

For those who care:
P4 3.2
2 GB pc3200 ram
800mhz bus speed
Geforce 7800 256mb AGP

Cry for me...just a little.

(looks down sad, crawls back into hole)

19. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 5, 2009, 19:33 Morgan19

From today's earlier thread, since this one seems to be the focus now:

Just installed the patch.

I'm not sure what "UI tweaks" they've implemented (haven't seen a full list of the changes), but it only seems like it's a different color (dark grey instead of red) and you have more setting options like graphics and sound. The UI itself is still the same bizarre "some options on the top left, some options on the bottom right of the screen" layout.

Just found this: "Major visual and menu flow overhaul for improved useability." I really question that. The graphics of the menu might be different, but otherwise the UI seems exactly the same (except for the aforementioned options changes). Am I missing something?

(EDIT-) The new maps, especially DarkMatch, look fantastic and play really well.

m19

18. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 5, 2009, 19:27 Bhruic

Wow, with all their talk about "improving" the UI, I expected some serious changes. Instead, it simply doesn't auto-track your mouse, you actually have to click on things. And I can't even say that's a change for the better. The menus are still horrible, button placement is haphazard, text looks poor, etc. Still a prime example of what not to do for UI. If they spent more than 5 mins "changing" it, someone was overpaid.  

17. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 5, 2009, 19:20 swaaye

A million? Where is everyone? Why aren't they playing online?
My friends and I who own UT3 much prefer playing LAN games. Never got into the impersonal online play.

16. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 5, 2009, 18:43 Overon

A million? Where is everyone? Why aren't they playing online?  

15. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 5, 2009, 18:11 elefunk

I think what's going to happen is that UT3 is going to make more money selling at 11.99 than it ever did selling at 30+.
Yeah, that could be the case. Though surprisingly, early last year it was announced that Unreal Tournament 3 sold more than a million on PC+PS3 combined. Surprising number considering the tiny community.

14. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 5, 2009, 18:08 Wowbagger_TIP

I'll be thrilled if this makes UT3 take off. It really is a good game underneath the crappy UI. I bought it a while back and had fun with it, but there's just been hardly any decent servers to play on. Hopefully that will change now.

I do think they need to narrow the focus a bit with this type of game though. As much as I like having options, when you have so many, there's bound to be some serious fracturing. I actually play several of the variants (CTF, VCTF, Warfare and TDM), so I don't have a problem with any of them, except that so many of the servers out there implement a lot of crazy features that IMO screw up the game.

I love instagib CTF, but not instagib VCTF or Warfare. I hate lowgrav games. I hate when they jack the speed up to some insane level, etc. Right now though I'd be happy to find a couple servers where i get a decent ping

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2009, 18:10.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

13. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 5, 2009, 17:51 Overon

I think what's going to happen is that UT3 is going to make more money selling at 11.99 than it ever did selling at 30+.  

12. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 5, 2009, 17:21 theyarecomingforyou

The netcode seems a LOT better and the experience was very good. The new menu screen looks very nice and the buttons no longer "zoom" as you mouse over them, though require double clicking (retarded). Not only that but the advanced setting screen allows scrolling but when you get to the bottom is jumps to the top. It's things like that which make you think Epic have lost touch with PC gaming a bit, even if they may seem rather trivial.

The game itself hasn't really changed all that much. I like it and straight-forward deathmatch is a blast but it's still not great. Still, this update is enough to get me playing it a bit more so I'm happy.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

11. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 5, 2009, 16:34 Caveman

Also, as confirmed by the Mythbusters, you can indeed polish poop.  

10. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 5, 2009, 16:33 dubfanatic

I skipped UT3 but I'll be giving this a try since it looks like Epic are trying to make up for their past indiscretions.

9. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 5, 2009, 16:05 MattyC

You can't polish a turd, it's that simple.

The online numbers will spike briefly, but they will then quickly return to the abysmal numbers that UT3 has enjoyed since release, once people realize, that while it may have a new coat of gloss, a shiny turd is still a turd, just a shiny one.

UT3 was hardly a 'turd'. It was just an ok game released in the midst of some awesome ones. If you are refering to the titan pack as 'polish' it is more like what epic has always done with PC games; free mini-expansions. I happen to think that is pretty cool and wish more developers did stuff like that (or at least supported games better after launch)

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo