Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price

Steam is offering a free Unreal Tournament III Black (the original game plus the new Titan Pack) trial weekend to anyone with a Steam account, allowing the chance to sample Epic's multiplayer shooter and its new content. They are also offering a 40% off sale price on purchases of the UT3 Black through March 15. Thanks BeyondUnreal.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: UT3 Free Weekend Mar 11, 2009, 15:53 Ecthelion

It's Vista64 I'm using... the notification I was talking about was the one asking whether you want to postpone the restart or not. Why should that popup take precedence over a game? It just doesn't make sense. It should apply common sense, so that if a user is running a full screen app then it won't disturb them until after they finished using it.
I remembered that you are running Vista. As I said, they improved restart notification in Vista... in XP, it didn't give you the option of postponing for several hours - it would just pop up again a few minutes later, potentially interrupting a full-screen app multiple times.

But, like I also said in my post, there is still a lot of room for improvement. There should be a place in the Control Panel where you can set it to not notify you at all after applying updates, but simply put the icon in the notification tray to let you know a restart is required. This wouldn't require any tricky-to-program common sense, it would just be a simple checkbox to tell Windows you don't want games interrupted.

So yeah, I was agreeing with you... but I also took the opportunity to point out the restart notification was improved in Vista (but not enough).

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2009, 15:54.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: UT3 Free Weekend Mar 11, 2009, 14:03 theyarecomingforyou

They improved that a lot with Vista (for instance, allowing you to postpone for several hours before the notification pops up again)
It's Vista64 I'm using... the notification I was talking about was the one asking whether you want to postpone the restart or not. Why should that popup take precedence over a game? It just doesn't make sense. It should apply common sense, so that if a user is running a full screen app then it won't disturb them until after they finished using it.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

46. Re: UT3 Free Weekend Mar 11, 2009, 10:13 Ecthelion

PS - Microsoft can fuck right off with their automatic updates prompting restarts. I was in the middle of a game of UT3 when it minimised out... by the time I got back I was dead. Thanks a fucking lot.
They improved that a lot with Vista (for instance, allowing you to postpone for several hours before the notification pops up again), but they need to go a step further and provide an option to disable the pop-ups altogether.

45. Re: UT3 Free Weekend Mar 10, 2009, 23:08 theyarecomingforyou

I've been having great fun with UT3... I'd forgotten how much fun it was, plus they've made a lot of improvements.

PS - Microsoft can fuck right off with their automatic updates prompting restarts. I was in the middle of a game of UT3 when it minimised out... by the time I got back I was dead. Thanks a fucking lot.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

44. Re: UT3 Free Weekend Mar 10, 2009, 21:08 Elricsi

A bunch of people must have had problems with the DL because they are giving it another go. If you liked any previous version of UT, you have to try this one.

Unreal Tournament 3 Steam Sale Extended
March 10, 2009, 4:18 pm - Valve - Product Update
Free Weekend Encore Begins Friday

Unreal Tournament 3 Black, the fully updated version of UT3 with the Titan Pack, has enjoyed an increase of over 2000% in simultaneous player numbers since its March 5th release and last week's Free Weekend on Steam. In addition, UT3 Black has claimed the number one spot on Steam's bestseller list.

To celebrate the game's overwhelming success and meet the huge demand, the UT3 Black 40% off Steam sale has been extended through Sunday, March 22, and an encore Free Weekend of play begins this Friday via Steam. Pre-load for the encore Free Weekend begins today.

43. Re: UT3 Free Weekend Mar 10, 2009, 14:22 StingingVelvet

Count me in as a convert... game is pretty slick now, and forcing AA through enhancer works, which I didn't know. Game looks and plays extremely well now...

Props to Epic.

42. Re: UT3 Free Weekend Mar 8, 2009, 14:38 GT

GT, your post was great stuff! using bit torrent to counter steam problems with UT3 download was something I recommended to a friend but it was too much of a hassle for him...plus by the time he would do all that it would already be sunday so yea....
Thanks. I would still recommend that he go to the trouble of doing it because it would give him an opportunity for some offline play on his own time after the weekend is over. Since UT3 never got a real demo other than that poor beta, this would be a great substitute. Plus if he buys the game afterwards for online play, he won't need to reinstall it. He can simply change his CD key to the good one by making one change to the UTEngine.ini file.

41. Re: UT3 Free Weekend Mar 8, 2009, 07:06 KilrathiAce

GT, your post was great stuff! using bit torrent to counter steam problems with UT3 download was something I recommended to a friend but it was too much of a hassle for him...plus by the time he would do all that it would already be sunday so yea....  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

40. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 7, 2009, 17:44 The Magician

First poster with the shitty PC:

It should run just fine on your hardware, I ran it fine on far slower hardware. It scales really well.

It might also be the last game that came out that doesn't require Shader 3.0 ..

39. Re: UT3 Free Weekend Mar 7, 2009, 12:08 Tumbler

Servers still too buys. I was interested in trying this game, sadly it doesn't look like that is going to happen. 8gb is a lot. Maybe they should have chopped it up a bit more. I guess some people are playing it...

I am thinking that offering the game at 4.99 would have been a smarter choice because at least you'd get everyone on board who is willing to pay money and instead people who want to play and decide if they want to spend 11.99 on it won't be able to... (1/2 of them maybe?)

Oh well. Better luck next time.

Edit: Hey, world of goo is $4.99! There's my $5 game of the week! Thanx steam!

Oh and it downloaded immediately if you're curious. No busy server message. But the download came down about 50% of it's normal speed for me. I wondered if Steam and Epic agreed to dedicate a certain amount to download or if perhaps bandwidth for this type of thing and limited to a point where it would impact paying customers service.

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 2009, 12:24.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

38. Re: UT3 Free Weekend Mar 7, 2009, 11:26 GT

(Removed because the free weekend is over. But, count yourself extremely fortunate if you followed my instructions because you got yourself an unexpected bonus. Make sure you send Epic your regards and some future business.)

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2009, 17:07.

37. Re: UT3 Free Weekend Mar 7, 2009, 10:08 KilrathiAce

Free weekend on steam is a huge failure it seems as many people either cannot start the download or getting it very slow...

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817630

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

36. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 7, 2009, 02:15 Jerykk

I really hope the game picks up in popularity..cause anyone who can hang with the boys on DM servers can basically school anyone in any other FPS.

I'm sure Quake and Tribes players would have something to say about that ;p

35. Re: UT3 Free Weekend Mar 6, 2009, 14:47 LittleMe

I love VCTF, and this new mod sounds a lot like Devastator for Q2, which was only the best mod ever.

Or the head hunting mod for Quake1 where you captured skulls

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

34. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 6, 2009, 13:52 4D-Boxing

On my end DM seemed to be the only game type where I have access to the best servers and the players are really good.. elix1, Spidey, Dances..JUNgle & many more etc...

I really hope the game picks up in popularity..cause anyone who can hang with the boys on DM servers can basically school anyone in any other FPS.

I've always been a DM player but I really wanted to get into vCTF with UT3 but I ran into the same problem as you did. No populated servers at least none where I had a decent ping.

I'll have to test warfare again with the tweaks see it's more fun than before.

PS. To bad the new DM maps are not very good...the Barge is the only one that will get any real action.

33. Re: UT3 Free Weekend Mar 6, 2009, 08:57 Jack

Dang! I'd like to play my copy of UT3 right now, but I can't because the steam servers are too busy?

This is BS.

Fortunately you can apply the patch, which overwrites the EXE allowing you to play without steam at all.

32. Re: UT3 Free Weekend Mar 6, 2009, 01:25 Nameless Again

and this new mod sounds a lot like Devastator for Q2, which was only the best mod ever.

QFT

31. Re: UT3 Free Weekend Mar 6, 2009, 00:57 Elricsi

The game is fun, peeps have no excuse not to try it now.

I love VCTF, and this new mod sounds a lot like Devastator for Q2, which was only the best mod ever.

30. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 5, 2009, 23:51 B

Definitely true, the numbes will return to low values. But UT3 was supposedly an excellent game and I was sorry I didn't get a chance to try it out when it came out...
It's too late for them to gain me as a customer, I'm sorry this 2 year old hit and miss title isn't going to distract me from a 1 month hit or miss title (Farcry 2, Fear 2, TF2 or something)... But it might restore my faith in a franchise that's been missing as much as it's hit and doesn't have characters or a story to really keep people curious.
I plan to go in, enjoy getting fragged by experienced players and see how deep the combat goes. See if this franchise, which is built on the idea of deep arcade style gameplay, let's see if they're still innovative.

29. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 5, 2009, 21:16 GT

I seriously don't get the sense of entitlement by people who haven't paid a penny for the thing
Then you are seriously stupid or at least don't comprehend the meaning of the word "free." The whole purpose of a free weekend is to give those who haven't paid for the game the opportunity to try it. That's why I am entitled to it. There's no disclaimer on the website which says "supplies are limited" or "first-come, first-serve". If you're going to make something available for free for a limited period, then truely make it available during that period. There's simply no valid reason not to mirror the files or make the trial flexible enough that bandwidth capacity isn't a prohibitive issue.

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2009, 01:42.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo