Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Saints Row 2 Mar 5, 2009, 20:09 Sphinx

Bill Borre, I am playing the game on the PS3 rather than the PC. A 50" HDTV almost can contain my pimptastic suits and cars.  
-Sphinx
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Game Reviews Mar 5, 2009, 13:11 Ecthelion

Word of warning, and for some this might keep them from buying...the voice acting is beyond horrible.

It reminds me of the old Saturday morning Kung-Fu movies on USA (or whatever TV network that was).
I've come to expect as much from games made outside the US or UK... unfortunately they are rarely able to get convincing voice talent for the English translation.

It sounds like the game is a good buy (I'll only play it for SP), but it can't come close to the bargain that FoW was for me. I found it for abut $5 on Circuit City's website (back before they went bankrupt), and I was pleasantly surprised by the number and length of the SP missions.

11. Re: Men of War mission count Mar 5, 2009, 12:27 JaguarUSF

23 missions. But they each take a long time (hour or so each). The SP campaign is too hard for my tastes, but MP is fun as heck. Just waiting for the patch where everyone'll be using the same version.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2009, 12:28.

10. Re: Game Reviews Mar 5, 2009, 12:20 dagger

I will do a count when I get home. I have only finished the Russian one so far.

The other two have some tough missions I am stuck on for the moment.

Word of warning, and for some this might keep them from buying...the voice acting is beyond horrible.

It reminds me of the old Saturday morning Kung-Fu movies on USA (or whatever TV network that was).

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2009, 12:22.

9. Re: Game Reviews Mar 5, 2009, 12:12 Ecthelion

1) 3 Campaigns (russian, german, allied), and a bonus campaign.....just with bonus missions.
Any idea how many missions are in each campaign?

It sounds promising from what you and JaguarUSF have said so far.

8. Re: Game Reviews Mar 5, 2009, 11:57 dagger

If you did not like Faces of War you probably will not like this game.

This game is better than FoW by a mile though, and I like it a lot.

1) 3 Campaigns (Russian, German, allied), and a bonus campaign.....just with bonus missions. A lot of missions and SP game play.....which I like.
2) The game feels more polished and I have not seen any bugs so far. For instance repairing tanks, or laying mines seems easier.
3) Another thing I noticed is it seems a lot harder to rush tanks and gun emplacements now, which is good.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2009, 12:16.

7. Re: Game Reviews Mar 5, 2009, 11:29 JaguarUSF

Men of War is similar in many ways to the previous two games in the series, espeically Faces of War. In fact, it's really an expansion-of-sorts to FOW (at least it was in Russia), a streamlined and fully awesome expansion. My review is going up Monday, the day before the U.S. release.  

6. Re: Men of War Mar 5, 2009, 10:10 Ecthelion

hmmm this direct control stuff sounds great
It was also in Faces of War and I think Soldiers: Heroes of WW2 (which I didn't play), the developer's previous games. I haven't found a review yet that compares Men of War to their two previous games, and I'm curious what's new in it. Anyway, it was a cool feature in Faces of War, but I wonder what has changed. I'll probably still get this even if it's just more of the same, but I'd most likely wait until it's cheap.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2009, 10:11.

5. Re: Men of War Mar 5, 2009, 09:50 Charlie_Six

hmmm this direct control stuff sounds great  
Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

4. Re: Saints Row 2 Mar 5, 2009, 09:33 Ecthelion

Maybe there is a memory leak somewhere in the code causing the problem?
It seems like the slowdowns mostly occur while driving. It's not just loading new areas though, because flying doesn't seem to cause the same slowdowns.

3. Re: Saints Row 2 Mar 5, 2009, 08:46 Bill Borre

I read your review, but I assume you were not reviewing the PC version, as there was no mention of the various technical problems. I'm running the game on a PC that is under spec, but I've gotten through 30% of the game before being stopped by missions with a timed element. Because my FR will often drop so badly I can't complete missions like Red Asphalt or shooting down the six helicopters since I need a minimum FR to aim or move fast enough to get to the end goal. This is really strange since a great deal of the time my FR is perfectly adequate on a P4 with a 7800 vid card. Maybe there is a memory leak somewhere in the code causing the problem?  

2. Re: Men of War Mar 5, 2009, 06:40 Sphinx

Thanks for posting the link, Blue and thanks to anyone who reads the review.  
-Sphinx

1. Men of War Mar 5, 2009, 05:17 LittleMe

Looking forward to the US release soon. Satisfies my RTS cravings where CoH and WiC didn't.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo