Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioWare Montreal and Mass Effect 2

BioWare Sets Up New Montreal Team to Work on Mass Effect 2 on GameDaily has word that BioWare has established a development team called BioWare Montreal within EA Montreal, with the team's first project being Mass Effect 2. The team will ultimately include about 30 developers, with half the staff to come from BioWare's Edmonton studio (including part of the original Mass Effect team), and the other half coming from new hires, so they encourage interested parties to head over to the Careers at BioWare page to apply. They also learn from BioWare co-founder and CEO Ray Muzyka that the company has a couple of "super secret projects" that they are not able to discuss right now.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. What? Mar 2, 2009, 22:36 Creston

They're only now forming a studio to START on Mass Effect 2? When will it come out then, 2011?

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: BioWare Montreal and Mass Effect 2 Mar 2, 2009, 21:13 Caveman

Yes, Fallout 3 and Crysis run fine, but Mass Effect doesn't.  

21. Re: BioWare Montreal and Mass Effect 2 Mar 2, 2009, 20:58 Kxmode

Q6600@2.4ghz
MSI 8800GTX 768mb
ASUS P5N-E SLI
X-Fi Gamer edition
4g DDR2 RAM @ 667mhz
Windows XP SP3

Nice! I'm going to assume you have the latest drivers.

Last I checked I didn't have SP3 and SLI on my Laptop so perhaps the combination of both might be the cause. I'm not one-hundred sure of course. Otherwise your beast should be able to run the game flawlessly. Did you try Fallout 3? Crysis? Any of the latest benchmarking software?

20. Re: BioWare Montreal and Mass Effect 2 Mar 2, 2009, 20:24 PropheT

lol. That was a bug? I just thought that I couldn't figure out how to get it to cool off. It happened to me in the end-game boss fight and I was just running around avoiding his blasts yelling at my group-mates to hurry up and pick him off.

No, that's not a bug. It's a special ability that someone is using against you. When it wears off your gun will go back to normal.

19. Re: BioWare Montreal and Mass Effect 2 Mar 2, 2009, 20:21 Kxmode

Am I the only one who thought the game was sorta dull? I guess the main story was ok, but I thought exploring the planets was pretty yawn-inducing. Hopefully they'll put more work into the exploration aspect in the sequel.

Yeah the side quests sucked. I ignored them after a few. I did like the main story though. In my humble opinion the ending is epic. That long run outside of the Citadel to reach Sovereign was very exciting. Loved the massive claws in the background constantly wrecking havoc!

18. Re: BioWare Montreal and Mass Effect 2 Mar 2, 2009, 20:17 Caveman

Q6600@2.4ghz
MSI 8800GTX 768mb
ASUS P5N-E SLI
X-Fi Gamer edition
4g DDR2 RAM @ 667mhz
Windows XP SP3

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2009, 20:18.

17. Re: BioWare Montreal and Mass Effect 2 Mar 2, 2009, 20:17 PHJF

mass effect was fucking terrible  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

16. Re: BioWare Montreal and Mass Effect 2 Mar 2, 2009, 20:03 Kxmode

Right, it's my problem that the game is chock full of bugs and glitches. You know that bug where the gun never cools down forcing you to restart that was present from the first day? Yea, it STILL hasn't been fixed.

I've tried everything I can to get this game to work, I've tried every workaround, rolling back drivers and all that bullshit. Then I came to the conclusion that the game is simply too buggy. I'm not gonna take my chances with Mass Effect 2 PC because it will be done by Demiurge. I'm gonna play it safe and go with the 360 version because I know it will work and it won't be outsourced. I also don't feel like waiting 6 months.

The Mass Effect PC port was really poorly done. Sure the UI changes were nice, but what good is it when the game doesn't fucking work?

Before you flame back, my machine exceeds the recommended requirements, no spyware or viruses or any of that BS.

There's a reason why the PC help section of the Bioware forums has more threads in it than any of the other ones.

Very unfortunate you had problems Caveman. Except you didn't post your system specs. Had you posted you're system specs we could've learned a lot; for example can your system actually handle the game in the first place....

Thank you for "listening".

15. Re: BioWare Montreal and Mass Effect 2 Mar 2, 2009, 19:54 Bill Borre

You know that bug where the gun never cools down forcing you to restart

lol. That was a bug? I just thought that I couldn't figure out how to get it to cool off. It happened to me in the end-game boss fight and I was just running around avoiding his blasts yelling at my group-mates to hurry up and pick him off.

Am I the only one who thought the game was sorta dull? I guess the main story was ok, but I thought exploring the planets was pretty yawn-inducing. Hopefully they'll put more work into the exploration aspect in the sequel.

14. Re: BioWare Montreal and Mass Effect 2 Mar 2, 2009, 19:52 Narf2029

Have to agree with Caveman here. The port could have been done much better. Before I get Mass Effect 2, I'm gonna wait a couple weeks and see what the tech support forums look like because if I had looked before I picked up Mass Effect I would have passed. There are still a lot of people, myself included, having problems with bugs that are still there and have been there since the day the port was released. I'd love to try new characters but every time I start over I have to play with a Bible in one hand and a dead chicken in the other and just hope I can make it off of (or even get to) the Citadel without a hard lock. And before anyone says it, yes I've tried driver set after driver set, tried better ventilation, tried lower/minimum detail, etc etc. The only "fix" I've found is to play in windowed mode. At least that way I can force a normal shutdown instead of just pushing the magic button for 5 seconds.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2009, 19:57.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

13. Re: BioWare Montreal and Mass Effect 2 Mar 2, 2009, 19:42 Caveman

Right, it's my problem that the game is chock full of bugs and glitches. You know that bug where the gun never cools down forcing you to restart that was present from the first day? Yea, it STILL hasn't been fixed.

I've tried everything I can to get this game to work, I've tried every workaround, rolling back drivers and all that bullshit. Then I came to the conclusion that the game is simply too buggy. I'm not gonna take my chances with Mass Effect 2 PC because it will be done by Demiurge. I'm gonna play it safe and go with the 360 version because I know it will work and it won't be outsourced. I also don't feel like waiting 6 months.

The Mass Effect PC port was really poorly done. Sure the UI changes were nice, but what good is it when the game doesn't fucking work?

Before you flame back, my machine exceeds the recommended requirements, no spyware or viruses or any of that BS.

There's a reason why the PC help section of the Bioware forums has more threads in it than any of the other ones.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2009, 19:47.

12. Re: BioWare Montreal and Mass Effect 2 Mar 2, 2009, 19:28 NKD

So people are idiots because nVidia released broken drivers?

They are idiots if they sit there and bash a game, the game developer, and the guys who did the port, instead of taking a little initiative and fixing their own god damned problem. It's the American Way (TM). Why fix a problem when you can whine and whine that no one is fixing it for you.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

11. Re: BioWare Montreal and Mass Effect 2 Mar 2, 2009, 19:19 StingingVelvet

Game ran great for me on PC and looked/played about a 1,000 times better than on the 360. People who go 360 for ME2 to avoid technical issues will really wish they hadn't.  

10. Re: BioWare Montreal and Mass Effect 2 Mar 2, 2009, 18:34 Kxmode

use stable, compatible drivers

My $3,700 Dell XPS gaming laptop has shitty driver support. I don't think its Dell's problem as it's more an industry problem. But I've been relying on the laptopvideo2go.com for driver support. The drivers I used from there made MEPC run flawlessly on my system. The game never crashed once for me.

I also never encountered any problems with Fallout 3 and that game was based on the Oblivion engine; an engine that caused tons of BSODs on my prior system.

Not saying this could be the problem with your system but crashes are probably happening because of:
- poor performing RAM
- malfunctioning RAM
- overloaded video card
- out-dated video drivers
- overheated system
- some obscure code bug that's somehow triggering with your system configuration

Out of curiosity Caveman could you post your system specs?

Also do you use this site to see if your system will be able to handle the game?
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

I use that site religiously even if I think the game will run with no problems. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

9. Re: BioWare Montreal and Mass Effect 2 Mar 2, 2009, 18:30 theyarecomingforyou

Nah, some idiots just couldn't figure out how to use stable, compatible drivers. Nvidia broke something in later driver versions.
So people are idiots because nVidia released broken drivers? That really doesn't make sense. As a habit I always stick to the latest drivers, even beta drivers where available, and haven't had a problem with that, though I'm currently using an ATi card.

I keep hearing people complaining about nVidia and ATi drivers but I haven't had any problems with my 4870 or the 8800GT and 8800GTS 320MB I have before that.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

8. Re: BioWare Montreal and Mass Effect 2 Mar 2, 2009, 18:11 NKD

Hm, I must be in the minority then.

Nah, some idiots just couldn't figure out how to use stable, compatible drivers. Nvidia broke something in later driver versions. Mass Effect for PC ran great for me as well.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

7. Re: BioWare Montreal and Mass Effect 2 Mar 2, 2009, 17:56 Bucky

Hm, I must be in the minority then. Mass Effect was one of the most stable games I've played in a long time. I don't recall ever having a single crash.

Maybe I'll reinstall and give it another whirl, seems like it's about time.

6. Re: BioWare Montreal and Mass Effect 2 Mar 2, 2009, 17:56 Fion

Same here, game ran great, but crashed at least 3 times in an hour. I did eventually get through the game but not without a lot of frustration.

They have said they want to get a PC release out much sooner this time so maybe.. just maybe.. it won't be outsourced to that pathetic Demiurge(sp) again.

5. Re: BioWare Montreal and Mass Effect 2 Mar 2, 2009, 17:39 Caveman

MEPC was heavily modified to work better for PC gamers (e.g. higher resolution textures, enhanced UI, improved KB+M support, et all). In the entire time I played I never encounter problems.

I wish I was lucky as you because I couldn't even get off the ship without the game crashing one way or another.

4. Re: BioWare Montreal and Mass Effect 2 Mar 2, 2009, 17:29 Z9000

I agree with Caveman, 360 for sure.  
PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo