Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

As February draws to a close, I want to give the broadcast professionals of the world something to work on for next year. Look at the way the month is spelled, and take note of the "r" in the middle there. Not the one at the end; most of you have that one down cold. No, I'm talking about the first one, which makes the pronunciation of the word "February," not "Febuary." You have 11 months to practice that so hopefully we can get some progress on this for February 2010.

February Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Altair.
Speedway Tower Defense.
Slammings.
Links: Inside The Inboxes of 15 Fictional Villains.
Stories: NBC orders Jerry Seinfeld reality series.
Secret Lives of Comic Store Employees.
Auction: Up, up and away- Rare Superman comic for sale. Thanks Digg.
Media: Elevator. NSFW.
VCR Hack.
Flying car reaches new milestone. Thanks Slashdot.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: My own pet peeve Mar 1, 2009, 12:49 Enahs

I highly recommend polish women, they are incredibly freaky in bed.

Cary on.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: My own pet peeve Mar 1, 2009, 11:40 Dan =0)

Now I occasionally hear people saying (again, TV and radio) "visit site-address dot com FORWARD SLASH directory" instead of "visit site-address dot com SLASH directory. I think this is just going to confuse people, because people know what a slash is, and if you start saying "forward slash" it sounds like something different.

I've had instances where I'm giving a website address to someone verbally, and the word "slash" is interpreted as the backslash... some times, they're smart enough to ask "which one?"

Dan =0)

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

18. Re: My own pet peeve Mar 1, 2009, 11:27 Jim

I don't mind dubya-dubya-dubya, except that it would actually be shorter to say the entire words that it stands for. World wide web has three syllables. Dubyadubyadubya has six. Double u double u double u has nine! The abbreviation takes three times longer to say than what it stands for!

I've often thought the same thing-its far easier to speak out the whole thing than the abbreviation. I've heard someone once say "triple-dub" to shorten it.

If you have your web server configured properly, the www is not necessary, but people still do say and type it out of habit. I think most browsers will default to www subdomain if not provided as well.

Several years ago I commonly heard people only give 2 doubleyou's when vocalizing a URL "doubleyou doubleyou dot site-address dot com. I don't know why (perhaps they lost count?), but people would say this on TV and radio and it drove me nuts because this would obviously end up in a site not found.

Now I occasionally hear people saying (again, TV and radio) "visit site-address dot com FORWARD SLASH directory" instead of "visit site-address dot com SLASH directory. I think this is just going to confuse people, because people know what a slash is, and if you start saying "forward slash" it sounds like something different.

Jim

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2009, 04:39 Hoop

Ugh......QuakeLIVE owns me....

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2009, 04:39.

Um .. Behind you...

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2009, 03:43 Cutter

When the (ex)leader of the free world can't even pronounce nuclear properly, don't you think you're aiming a little high, Blue? We go from where we have been before. Thanks to the proliferation of texting the semi-literate graduates of today will only serve to continually knock our advacements down the evolutionary scale seveal notches.

But hey, the upsdie is that it won't be long ebfore we revert back to the state where we just point and grunt at something and hope people can understand us. The clubbings shall follow shortly thereafter.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2009, 03:20 Creston

What more annoying is saying AXE instead of ASK. WTF!?

Snoop Dogg's on line three, he wants to have a word with yo' ass.

Creston

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2009, 01:43 PHJF

What more annoying is saying AXE instead of ASK. WTF!? Or ValentiMes Day instead of ValentiNes Day.

Well axe is a black thing, and I've never heard valentimes day.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2009, 00:44 SirKnight

What more annoying is saying AXE instead of ASK. WTF!? Or ValentiMes Day instead of ValentiNes Day.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2009, 00:43 SirKnight

I don't pronounce the first r and never will. HAH! Take that sucka!  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2009, 23:03 sorted

heh...

"You've heard about the pyramids? This is like the pyramids times ten."

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2009, 19:17 skyguy

I personally have never heard anyone pronounce the first [r] in February.
Just out of curiosity, where are you from?
Southern Connecticut
Oh yeah, I don't pronounce the 2nd [c] in Connecticut, either. Freaky, huh?

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2009, 18:50 skyguy

Southern Connecticut

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2009, 17:49 PHJF

The English language has enough problems without introducing the "silent r."

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2009, 16:25 mag

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2009, 14:52 skyguy

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/february

February

The common pronunciation [feb-yoo-er-ee], with the first [r] replaced by [y], is the result of dissimilation, the tendency of like sounds to become unlike when they follow each other closely. An additional influence is analogy with January. Although sometimes criticized, this dissimilated pronunciation of February is used by educated speakers and is considered standard.

5. Re: My own pet peeve Feb 28, 2009, 14:22 Ratty

Ha! Good catch mag.

Tim Berners-Lee, the inventor of the www, said in hindsight he regretted several things:

Web creator regrets addressing system

Tim Berners-Lee has said that if he had his time again Web addresses would be simpler, and arguably more logical, than the http://www.name.com we are all familiar with.

In an interview with the BCS (British Computer Society), the inventor of the World Wide Web said that he would scrap the double-slash, simply because, as he says, 'there's no need for it'.

He also said that he would have put domain names the other way round and drop the full points and unnecessary 'www'. The example above would simply become http:com/name/.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/85579/web-creator-regrets-addressing-system.html

4. Re: My own pet peeve Feb 28, 2009, 14:14 PHJF

I'm fairly sure modern web browsers have made moot www.

website.com is more than fine.

3. Re: My own pet peeve Feb 28, 2009, 14:03 mag

I don't mind dubya-dubya-dubya, except that it would actually be shorter to say the entire words that it stands for. World wide web has three syllables. Dubyadubyadubya has six. Double u double u double u has nine! The abbreviation takes three times longer to say than what it stands for!  

2. My own pet peeve Feb 28, 2009, 13:37 Ratty

Never noticed "Febuary." My own pet peeve is "dubya dubya dubya." Really, a broadcast professional should be able to handle "double u double u double u" without any problem at all. For us normal people, dubya is just fine--I'm no purist. Double u is hard to say three times fast without it sounding stilted. But people who talk for a living should be able to master it so that it sounds natural.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2009, 13:10 PHJF

It's more likely you'll just see an act of Congress hereby changing the month of February to Febuary. They'll need something to do when they are done fucking around with Daylight Saving Time.  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo