Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

TF2 Cheats Disciplined

The Team Fortress 2 Website has another scolding from the TF Announcer, who is dismayed to learn players are unlocking Team Fortress 2 achievements by cheating, forcing a few week-long suspensions:

This time it seems a number of you used an external application to unlock all of your achievements in order to get items unfairly. Coming as a surprise to no one with the ability to retain memories of the recent past, I have taken these items from the perpetrators for one week.

Can I trust that this episode has finally taught you a lesson? I should live so long. Having watched how the sorry lot of you comport yourselves on the battlefield and in the forums, I would consider it a small miracle to trust one of you enough to lick stamps without asphyxiating.

View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

82. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Mar 3, 2009, 18:32 xXBatmanXx

Suspensions? How about wiped Steam Accounts?  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

81. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Mar 2, 2009, 03:22 CreamyBlood

I like the way both games that I like do it. Of course they are class and objective based.

They simply let you get your unlocks for about four maps, then everyone is reset to zero. It's pretty simple. You can be the king of the mountain for a few minutes to a few hours, depending on the campaign, but then we're all back to a level playing field.

I think it's cool.

The new version let's you brag about your 'skills'. Wee-haaa!

80. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Mar 2, 2009, 01:38 Krovven

Offering one player choices of weapons and not offering it to another gives an advantage to the one that has the choices.

WHAT? Offering to one player but not another? Are you seriously fucking retarded? They are available for EVERYONE to unlock. They aren't even difficult to get, nor do they take much time to get.

Quake, Quake 2, any of the old games...players start out with basic weapons and you have to figure out where those weapons are and collect them. For a new player, that can be a daunting task because you usually have the veteran players camping them or have timed the respawn of the good weapons. There is little difference in the fundamentals here, except one is unlocked permanently, the other you have to keep going back for constantly.

I've played dozens of multiplayer games where other players have access to things that other players do not. CoD4, CoD WaW, BF2, etc and pretty much ever MMO ever made. People praised Infinity Ward for adding leveling and weapon/item unlocks to CoD4. Now Valve does something similar, and the same fucking asshats that rip on Valve no matter what they do, are the same ones ripping on Valve for weapon unlocks in TF2.

79. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Mar 1, 2009, 23:58 Bhruic

Actually now you are the one finally getting it. Some of us have been been saying it this whole thread...the weapon unlocks are not giving an advantage to players that have them, it merely offers choices. Moron.

Wow you're clueless. Seriously, seriously clueless. Offering one player choices of weapons and not offering it to another gives an advantage to the one that has the choices. Because they get to pick the weapon that best fits the situation they're going to be in.

I'd say you'd have to be a fucking idiot not to understand that, but you've already proven you are one.

78. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Mar 1, 2009, 23:12 Tanto Edge

Well, you can split a hair and say Gears of War uses said QTE's in it's reload sequence.
Press button at correct moment to reload faster. Mess up and jam your gun.
Some QTE's are better designed than others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

77. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Mar 1, 2009, 22:57 CreamyBlood

In the God of War series you have to press a sequence of buttons to accomplish a particular task, typically the killing of a creature, or defense against an event.
Another example may be in Resident Evil 4 when they roll the boulder at you in the introductory stages, and you're forced to tap A furiously, until it suddenly asks for either both A and B or both shoulder buttons.

Well, I understand what you mean but I haven't had a console since the Intellivision days.

I'm sure there's an equivalent in some PC game, like a platform puzzler?

76. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Mar 1, 2009, 22:21 Krovven

having access to one of the weapons limits your choices.

Actually now you are the one finally getting it. Some of us have been been saying it this whole thread...the weapon unlocks are not giving an advantage to players that have them, it merely offers choices. Moron.

75. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Mar 1, 2009, 22:18 Tanto Edge

In the God of War series you have to press a sequence of buttons to accomplish a particular task, typically the killing of a creature, or defense against an event.
Another example may be in Resident Evil 4 when they roll the boulder at you in the introductory stages, and you're forced to tap A furiously, until it suddenly asks for either both A and B or both shoulder buttons.

Edit: As Yahtzee would put it, press X not to die.

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2009, 22:19.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

74. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Mar 1, 2009, 21:58 CreamyBlood

Excuse my ignorance but what is a QTE? I understand that it means 'Quick Time Event', but can you give me an example? I haven't played many new games lately.

73. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Mar 1, 2009, 20:12 Bhruic

The old weapons are situationally better.

No shit. But apparently you are too stupid to understand that only having access to one of the weapons limits your choices.

It's not like you can switch to them on the fly, they have to be selected before spawning. But I'm guessing you didn't know that, otherwise you (or many others) wouldn't make the stupid arguments that you do.

Of course you can't switch on the fly. But you can switch based on the map you are playing.

72. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Mar 1, 2009, 19:40 Jerykk

We're not game designers, and pointing out that many FPSes have unlockables just shows you plenty of actual game designers feel they do belong in certain FPSes.

That doesn't mean much. Game design isn't a science. The only real prerequisite to being a game designer is the technical ability to design levels, write design docs, etc. The actual design aspect is completely subjective. Most designers think it's a good idea to put QTEs in their games. Most gamers either dislike or don't care about QTEs. Why then would developers spend the time and resources into implementing a feature that nobody actually likes? It's because game design is entirely driven by sales charts these days. If a game sells well, designers copy it. God of War sold well so developers started putting QTEs in games. Halo 2 sold well so developers started putting regenerating health in games. Gears of War sold well so developers started putting cover systems in games. RE4 sold well so developers started using that stupid shoulder cam. It's not really about the merits of any given feature; rather, it's about their presence in best-selling games.

71. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Mar 1, 2009, 19:30 Krovven

The new weapons are situationally better.

The old weapons are situationally better.

And if you don't have access to those weapons, then you can't use them in the situations for which they are better.

It's not like you can switch to them on the fly, they have to be selected before spawning. But I'm guessing you didn't know that, otherwise you (or many others) wouldn't make the stupid arguments that you do.

70. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Mar 1, 2009, 18:41 Muscular Beaver

PC gamers using cheats to circumvent idiotic and childish console style achievements that, besides the natural low skill, gimp new players too.
Yup. Very bad offense! Hang em! Or better, force them to play on a console!

POS dumbed down game. Still waiting for someone to make a TFC mod for TF2. Until then it stays uninstalled. FF sucks.

BTW, theres a similar thing happening in Savage 2. People not being able to access good units. It totally destroys balance, gameplay and thus fun.
Whoever invented this unlocking and achievement crap in multiplayer needs to die a horrible death. It was prolly some dumbshit console freak.

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2009, 18:46.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

69. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Mar 1, 2009, 17:31 Bhruic

The new weapons aren't better, they're different.

That's just an evasion. The new weapons are situationally better. And if you don't have access to those weapons, then you can't use them in the situations for which they are better.

68. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Mar 1, 2009, 16:18 elefunk

Why give experienced players an advantage and give noobs gimped weapons? It doesn't make sense to me.
The new weapons aren't any less "gimped" than the old weapons. The new weapons aren't better, they're different.

67. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Mar 1, 2009, 14:59 Krovven

They seem oblivious to the common sense idea that enjoyment of the game is what is supposed to keep people playing.

This still rings true, whether there are achievements or not. The players are the ones ruining it, not Valve or any other developer. Play games for enjoyment, regardless of achievements. Don't grind or disrupt normal play to gain them.

The problem is entirely of some players mindset, not the design of the game. There will ALWAYS be mouth-breathing jerkoffs willing to break intended gameplay for their own benefit, regardless of the existence of achievements.

While I think the achievement unlocks are perfectly fine...I'd rather they devote a year for a proper expansion to TF2 to add all the achievements and unlocks. Right after they add the ability in L4D to select a specific server from a game Lobby.

66. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Mar 1, 2009, 12:45 StingingVelvet

Why give experienced players an advantage and give noobs gimped weapons? It doesn't make sense to me.

There seems to be a recent developer mindset that you need to offer unlocks and rewards in multiplayer to keep people playing. They seem oblivious to the common sense idea that enjoyment of the game is what is supposed to keep people playing.

65. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Mar 1, 2009, 05:34 CreamyBlood

I haven't actually played TF2 for more than ten minutes even though I got it with the Orange Box over a year ago, so I won't comment on this particular case.

I was a big BF1942 fan (and still am) but when I went to play BF2 at my brothers, I felt I was at a disadvantage for being a noob. I played as medic and for hours, and despite being quite good (in my own mind) at other online FPS's, I couldn't hit anyone for shit.

Eventually I got my first (last and only) unlocked weapon and suddenly I was hitting and killing people with ease. I'm not sure if that new gun was any better or if I'd just gotten better. But if the gun was better, why would they do that?

I'm not saying that's what is happening here as I haven't played TF2 but I understand the argument against linking rewards with achievments. Not that I've ever understood achievements. I remember finishing HL2 (or one of the episodes) and seeing a list of them. I didn't know they existed. Many seemed rather stupid but most were something you'd do in the game anyways, or have to do just to complete a particular level. Anyways, some people like them so I don't really care.

I prefer the way both Wolf:Enemy Territory and QW:Enemy Territory do it. You get minor XP and unlocks (advantages) over the course of a Campaign. A Campaign is usually four maps, then everybody is reset back to zero. So, you might be at a disadvantage jumping into map four or something, but it'll reset and everyone will be on a level playing field again.

And for those that like 'achievements' and ranks/medals/whatever, they give you those too and you can go look them up on a website and brag to your friends. Although they give you absolutely no benefit in-game. Which is as it should be.

If you've spent a million hours playing a game, your reward is your own personal skill.

64. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Mar 1, 2009, 04:17 Yifes

Uh, the fact that other games have unlockables doesn't automatically mean that they "belong" in FPSes. If his position is that they don't belong there, simply pointing out that they are there doesn't refute his point. And it doesn't excuse TF2 for having them.

My whole point is that yes you can give good reasons why unlockables work or do not work in TF2. BUT it's stupid to say something slike what "belongs" and what doesn't in FPSes in GENERAL. Genres aren't set in stone, and if something doesn't work for TF2 it doesn't mean that it cannot work for all FPSes.

We're not game designers, and pointing out that many FPSes have unlockables just shows you plenty of actual game designers feel they do belong in certain FPSes.

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2009, 04:19.

63. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Mar 1, 2009, 00:18 Jerykk

Free Mumra is completely right. Achievements and unlockables are not conducive to game balance or the optimal experience in online shooters. As TF2 has shown, as soon as a class upgrade is released, people will all play as that class and do stupid shit to get the achievements. Achievements and unlockables are simply a cheap and easy way to add replayability to your game. Quake, UT, Tribes and all the classic shooters didn't need to resort to this to keep people playing for years.

if that's all an fps to you is....go newb it up in QuakeLive with all the other newb-driven decisions from Id.

Uh, how has Q3 been newbified in Quake Live? Last I played, it was pretty much the same Q3 we all know and love, with some tweaks taken from CPMA. And ads. Newbs will still get utterly annihilated by veterans.

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2009, 00:21.

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo