Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Duke3D a Good Old Game

The good old gamers at GOG.com announce that Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition is now available from their DRM-free marketplace, updated to work properly under Windows Vista and Windows XP. They also announce the coming weeks will see the addition of Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project, Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold, Blake Stone: Planet Strike, and Rise of the Triad: Dark War, recalling the heyday of Apogee releasing games, and this forum post says one purchaser of Duke Nukem 3D will be selected to receive the entire Apogee catalog for free.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Duke3D, Good Old Game Mar 1, 2009, 19:09 Muscular Beaver

I want Blood!
Too bad they never released the source code of it, so there are no mods for it. And since Atari and Monolith share the IP now, I doubt it will ever be released.
Too bad, one of the funniest game I've ever played.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: DN3D a Good Old Game Feb 27, 2009, 10:35 InBlack

Space Hulk 2: Vengeance of the Blood Angels!!!

Common DOW2 is out, this is the best time for GOG to offer this game

I have a nifty blue line!

46. Re: DN3D a Good Old Game Feb 27, 2009, 02:46 Jerykk

Then why, pray, is the PS:T IP not available for short money if it is so unvalued?

How do you know how much is being asked for it? Or that it's even available? Interplay licensed the Planescape setting for the PC game but they don't own the franchise itself. TSR/Wizards of the Coast owns it because it's a D&D setting. It's also nowhere near as popular as Forgotten Realms, which is licensed left and right, so I don't really see how it could be worth much. For comparison, here's a list of all published material using the Planescape setting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planescape

And here's a couple of lists of Forgotten Realms books and games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Forgotten_Realms_novels
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_video_games

As you can see, Forgotten Realms is far, far more popular and as such, far more valuable.

No, I'm going to stand my ground and assert the PS:T value is higher than you think it is and that 'they' (Acti/Vivendi? Black Obsidian Isle?) are holding out for more rather than less...why else is it not available...principle?!

I think it's just that nobody cares. Planescape simply isn't a highly sought-after license. Torment was a fantastic game but it didn't suddenly make the setting popular. PS:T was great because of Black Isle. The setting is interesting but not enough to sell a game.

There are a lot of classic videogame series that have been left to rot. Carmageddon, Interstate '76, Tribes, System Shock, X-COM, Ultima, Monkey Island, Full Throttle, No One Lives Forever, Arcanum, Baldur's Gate, Sacrifice, Earthworm Jim, MDK, Giants, Grim Fandango... the list goes on and on. These franchises have been buried because publishers don't think they'll sell to a mainstream audience and I'm inclined to agree. Consumers, as a whole, are pretty stupid. If it doesn't feature space marines, Nazis, terrorists or other familiar elements, it probably won't sell.

45. Re: DN3D a Good Old Game Feb 27, 2009, 02:21 Bluesfanboi

Then why, pray, is the PS:T IP not available for short money if it is so unvalued? It would be the biggest seller on GOG or elsewhere for that matter by popular vote, and that would only increase as the word got out of its renewed availability. Though it has been available freely for some time but it's still a bit nerdy to get running perfectly.

No, I'm going to stand my ground and assert the PS:T value is higher than you think it is and that 'they' (Acti/Vivendi? Black Obsidian Isle?) are holding out for more rather than less...why else is it not available...principle?! I haven't seen principles in gaming since Ultima IV.

44. Re: DN3D a Good Old Game Feb 27, 2009, 01:16 Jerykk

PS:T's cachet has only increased with time and the Planescape Milieu is a self-contained, well fleshed out multiverse with nearly infinite possibilities for story-telling.

I agree completely. However, none of that really has anything to do with sales. Planescape is a weird setting. Weird things don't sell well. Planescape: Torment has already surpassed most RPGs in terms of acclaim. However, sales are a different matter entirely. An IP is only valuable to a publisher if they can make money from it. A Planescape game would never sell as well as more familiar and traditional games.

43. Re: DN3D a Good Old Game Feb 27, 2009, 00:34 Bluesfanboi

I'm going to have to disagree with your points that are not just repeating my prior post with a different wording.

PS:T's cachet has only increased with time and the Planescape Milieu is a self-contained, well fleshed out multiverse with nearly infinite possibilities for story-telling.

Another well-done Planescape would surpass Oblivion in sales and acclaim.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2009, 00:35.

42. Re: Duke3D, Good Old Game Feb 27, 2009, 00:16 meezookeewee

Awesome. It's been forever since I've played Blake Stone. Awesome game. Rise of the Triad was one of my ABSOLUTE favorite games back in the day. I've been a member of GOG for a while now, and I have to say they have done an impressive job so far. It's going to be a while, but I hope they get access to Crusader: No Remorse and No Regret. Those two games were awesome.  

41. Re: DN3D a Good Old Game Feb 27, 2009, 00:02 Jerykk

You have good taste in games and I need not remind you that those two titles are uber valuable to those who own the IP rights.

I don't know who owns the rights to Planescape videogames but I'm pretty sure it's not very valuable to them. Planescape: Torment, despite its awesomeness, is a very obscure, niche game that didn't exactly set the charts on fire.

The Planescape setting isn't very milkable either. Very unique, very strange. The reason PS:T was so awesome was because of Chris Avellone and Black Isle. If some other developer makes a new Planescape game, nobody will care.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2009, 00:03.

40. Re: DN3D a Good Old Game Feb 26, 2009, 23:58 ViRGE

agreed, I really liked MP.
It doesn't hurt that it was one of the only games where we (HomeLAN Fed News) were mentioned on the box.

39. Re: DN3D a Good Old Game Feb 26, 2009, 22:08 CrimsonPaw

Guys, don't forget to vote for games in the wishlist <cough>Tie Fighter<cough>  
~~Crim~~

38. Re: DN3D a Good Old Game Feb 26, 2009, 21:35 Kxmode

Check out the spiffy wishlist
http://www.gog.com/en/wishlist/

It's rad!

37. Re: DN3D a Good Old Game Feb 26, 2009, 21:16 AhrimaaN

I can'te even find Sub Culture on torrent sites so would love it ig GoG got that.  

36. Re: DN3D a Good Old Game Feb 26, 2009, 20:48 Nameless Again

If were throwing around names for the GOG wishlist, I'll throw Blood on the pile. It's a damn shame that Atari is just sitting on the source code. Oh well, their loss.

Still have ROTT, SS, SS2, D3D:Atomic Ed., etc, etc. Oh and I'd love if they got SubCulture up their too. That was a really fun one; relaxing at times.

35. Re: DN3D a Good Old Game Feb 26, 2009, 19:01 Kxmode

You should try eDuke32 and the HRPs from the links i posted in post#7. They don't turn DN3D into a modern shooter, but make it very enjoyable.

You're missing the point of GOG...

34. Re: DN3D a Good Old Game Feb 26, 2009, 18:40 shponglefan

Does this mean we can expect to see Commander Keen on there at some point?  

33. Re: DN3D a Good Old Game Feb 26, 2009, 17:50 nin

Wow, I'd completely forgotten Rise of the Triad.

I'm definitely getting that when it's available. I remember downloading the shareware from a local BBS back in the day. I never played the full version though.

Rise of the Triad! Fuck yea! Time for some randrott!

GOG, I LOVE YOU!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

32. Re: DN3D a Good Old Game Feb 26, 2009, 17:41 Asmodai

I still have SS, SS2 and PS:T original disks all in mint condition but I've tried getting Torment up on Vista and haven't had a bunch of luck (same with SS2).

Would love if they got them but *shrug* they can only publish what people agree to allow them to. Still, great work to the GOG guys for putting great games back in the realms of possibility for the current generation.

31. Re: DN3D a Good Old Game Feb 26, 2009, 16:48 Bluesfanboi

"System Shock games and Planescape Torment."

You have good taste in games and I need not remind you that those two titles are uber valuable to those who own the IP rights.

Don't let the fact that GOG doesn't have the rights to sell them deter you from playing them. I had to dl an image of PS:T, complete with fix-packs and other goodies and then burn it all on 5 CDs to get a working copy.

The originals are near impossible to come by even on Ebay collectibles and I wouldn't put it past Chris A. and Fergus U. and Ken Lee to someday get back together and create another Masterpiece in the Genre.

From what I recall, PS:T had sales of 400K. Very small numbers for universally admired works that stand the test of time.

30. Re: DN3D a Good Old Game Feb 26, 2009, 16:43 wusel

I've played it under XP using this Win32 binary for it, but it should work under DOS BOX.

You should try eDuke32 and the HRPs from the links i posted in post#7. They don't turn DN3D into a modern shooter, but make it very enjoyable.

29. Re: DN3D a Good Old Game Feb 26, 2009, 16:25 Ecthelion

I know there is a high-res mod for DN3D, but is there one for RotT? I played the demo a little back when it came out, but if I were going to try to get back into it now a graphical update (maybe even with widescreen support) would help a lot.  

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo