Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

On Op Flashpoint Sequels

Concerned that plans for Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising will confuse fans, Bohemia Interactive Studios has issued a statement to make it clear that they are not the developers of this sequel to their first military shooter, and they object to it being marketed as such, saying their ArmA games are the true sequels to Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis. The statement quotes an attorney for Bohemia Interactive saying: "In the license agreement, Bohemia Interactive expressly reserved the exclusive right to develop sequels to the original OFP game," saying: "Codemasters also acknowledged that Bohemia owns all the intellectual property in the game – except the words 'Operation Flashpoint'." The quote included from Bohemia Interactive CEO Marek Spanel indicates they don't feel having rights to the game's name does not give Codemasters the right to claim their upcoming shooter is an OpFlashpoint "sequel," saying: "Since Codemasters has no right to use the Bohemia Interactive game engine or any other component of the Bohemia-developed game, how can it rightfully claim to produce a ‘sequel’?"

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: On Op Flashpoint Sequels Feb 27, 2009, 11:34 Joss

Yeap, the 1.15b patch is running great on my Vista box. They fixed memory handling.

I judge a game for how long it merits hd space (as mentioned before) and ArmA is sweet with the A.C.E. mod. If OFP2:Dragon Rising cannot show me what I've seen in ArmA/ArmA2... they lose. Simple. AND NO JETS?? WTF? They need to step up!

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2009, 11:34.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: On Op Flashpoint Sequels Feb 27, 2009, 03:10 Dmitri_M

I have no problems running it.  

30. Re: On Op Flashpoint Sequels Feb 26, 2009, 21:20 Donkey_Punch

so your saying they fixed Arma to actually RUN ok?

Not yet. They finally released after almost 1.5 years a beta patch that fixes most of the major issues. It is still a beta patch though and BIS is known for screwing up and suddenly releasing buggy untested changes in the final patch.

Time will tell.

We still need a Linux server patch. As usual the community is split between different versions because they take forever to update the dedicated servers.

29. Re: On Op Flashpoint Sequels Feb 26, 2009, 21:08 Wildone

I had the same experience, so your saying they fixed Arma to actually RUN ok?  

28. Re: On Op Flashpoint Sequels Feb 26, 2009, 18:33 Karl_L

MTechnik
The ArmA demo was horrible too. It ran like shit and I couldnt even manage to finish the mission.

Luckily I went ahead and bought it anyway.
If you liked Opflash, then you missed out on a great game buddy

27. Re: On Op Flashpoint Sequels Feb 26, 2009, 17:42 Overon

Well I understand both sides. But purely logically speaking, a game called operation flash point and a game called operation flashpoint 2 is a sequel. You own a name, you put a 2 after it and it's a sequel.  

26. Re: On Op Flashpoint Sequels Feb 26, 2009, 16:34 MTechnik

Even so, they shouldn't be airing their grievances in public.
yeah, festivum is LOOOOONG over

25. Re: On Op Flashpoint Sequels Feb 26, 2009, 16:19 theyarecomingforyou

Even so, they shouldn't be airing their grievances in public.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

24. Re: On Op Flashpoint Sequels Feb 26, 2009, 15:16 Jerykk

Yeah, but my point was that they were tolerated by Valve - they weren't discredited but weren't mentioned either. Monolith, on the otherhand, went out of their way to state that the expansions to FEAR weren't canon.

Well, there's a pretty big difference there. Valve approved of the HL expansions. If they hadn't, the expansions wouldn't have been made. Monolith had nothing to do with the FEAR expansions. It was Vivendi's decision all the way and the expansions messed with the story in ways that conflicted with Monolith's vision.

23. Re: On Op Flashpoint Sequels Feb 26, 2009, 14:16 Fartacus

Codemasters was shrude enough to know that the masses dont in most cases associate likes or dislikes with developer or publisher names, they associate with the name of the Game itself.

Yep, as demonstrated by Guitar Hero. For ignorant consumers, it's all about the product's brand.

22. Re: On Op Flashpoint Sequels Feb 26, 2009, 13:26 DangerDog

Well, in the case of the FEAR expansions - they really should be ignored but not just because of the story more because they're pretty awful.

If this effort by BIS doesn't do anything more than stop Codemasters from plastering "From the makers of Operation Flashpoint" tag lines all over marketing videos and the boxes then it'll be a good thing, lets see if Codemasters can make a combat game without needing to rest on the laurels of other peoples work, so far I'm not all that impressed with what they've shown.

On the flip side, I hope BIS can finally release a stable version of ArmA and that they fix most of the complaints that people had with the game / sim.

21. Re: On Op Flashpoint Sequels Feb 26, 2009, 12:37 theyarecomingforyou

Doesn't Valve own the HL brand? I thought they outsourced the addons themselves.
Yeah, but my point was that they were tolerated by Valve - they weren't discredited but weren't mentioned either. Monolith, on the otherhand, went out of their way to state that the expansions to FEAR weren't canon. It's basically saying to the fans of the series that the time and money they spent on the expansions was worthless. They should only be ignored as a last resort and even then it's best not explicitly mentioning it, like in interviews. It's like ordered a five course meal but being told to ignore the fourth course because it was cooked by a different chef.

20. Re: On Op Flashpoint Sequels Feb 26, 2009, 12:34 Dmitri_M

New tactical shooters = good

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2009, 12:37.

19. Re: On Op Flashpoint Sequels Feb 26, 2009, 12:13 Old_Geezer

Who gives a toss? Probably all the customers who played and loved the original Operation Flashpoint, and who'll blindly and droolingly buy the "sequel" coz it has that name on the box, only to find out it's a relatively dumbed-down and far less complex/tactical shooter than it should have been.

I've been waiting forever for Operation Flashpoint 2, and only recently learned that it going to be one of those cursed multi-platform releases, probably designed with console controllers in mind and absolutely nothing like the original game (ala Ghost Recon). Another example of weasely corporate a-holes using an established name or title to sell something completely different.

Oh well, maybe it'll turn out to be a complex and tactical shooter after all, even if different in every way from the original OP. I'm still hoping. But really, it would have been more appropriate for the developers of ARMA to use "Operation Flashpoint 2" as the title since the game really is an improved clone of the first OP and plays identically.

18. Re: On Op Flashpoint Sequels Feb 26, 2009, 12:08 Jerykk

Valve didn't whine about the Half-Life add-ons done by Gearbox.

Doesn't Valve own the HL brand? I thought they outsourced the addons themselves.

17. Re: On Op Flashpoint Sequels Feb 26, 2009, 11:47 Hump

both look like good games. Who cares....  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

16. Re: On Op Flashpoint Sequels Feb 26, 2009, 11:30 Jackplug

what I like to know is, who actually gives a toss abt who made what aslong as its a frecking good army shooter!!  

15. Re: On Op Flashpoint Sequels Feb 26, 2009, 11:18 theyarecomingforyou

What a bunch of fucking babies! It's just like Infinity Ward whining about the marketing for COD: World At War. The point is they don't own the name. Full stop.

The reality is that a publisher isn't going to want to invest tens of millions on a brand only to have it walk off when the developers get a better offer. Crytek did the clever thing by selling off the brand and just getting on with it. Monolith did a similar thing with FEAR, though were fortunate enough to be able to repurchase the brand - still, I didn't like them moaning about the add-ons not being canon ; Valve didn't whine about the Half-Life add-ons done by Gearbox.

Wow, this all reminds me of crysis/far cry. crysis is really the successor to far cry, where far cry 2 has nothing to do with far cry but share the name.
And, despite its flaws, I still believe that Far Cry 2 is the better game. The engine ran incredibly well, looked better (imo) and actually learnt from the mistakes made in the original game (rather than simply replacing mutants with aliens) - it tried to do something new but was a bit too ambitious.

The gaming industry is a business. If they made a bad decision then that's THEIR problem. They shouldn't air their dirty laundry in public.

14. Re: On Op Flashpoint Sequels Feb 26, 2009, 10:26 BigShot

One last point I'd like to make (since some of you here have brought up things you like/dislike about arma/ofp)...

Arma's strong points have nothing to do with its campaign or its included missions out of the box (which all are done poorly IMO). The grandness of Arma is what the community has made out of it themselves with addons, mods and 3rd party missions for free download. There are countless weapon and vehicle addons, sound addons, weapon addons, tons of missions and gametypes, maps etc all for download which make the game what it is and why it keeps going for so many years for some of us.

Arma and OFP are essentially open architecture shell games...somewhat like MS Flight simulator, where you dont expect the greatest content out of the box initially but KNOW and wait for what will be forthcoming from the community which will make it worth more than its weight :-)

As with all games there are many annoying faults with it, but all in all when you take into consideration how there is NO other game title that offers such complete dynamics/changing outcomes with maps large enough to take hours to drive across from one end to the other, it becomes a no brainer to see how that can vastly increase a games replay value, and HAS.

Some of you should try playing some of the missions that were made using the 3rd party DYNAMIC AI (ive made a few mission myself with this)...you can play these sorts of mission over and over and you wont know where the enemy will be comming from or how many you will come across while completing objectives...theres no other game that offers this on such a land scale like this. On the crap side of things the AI is pretty stupid most of the time, the player movement and aim is slow and clunky in feel (both said to be vastly improved in arma2 by the devs themselves) and fps performance can be low with too many AI running around or if you have an older machine.

If you can get passsed its short comings its really hard to find a simulation type game like this which offers such huge value and years of playtime...even if it does still make me curse all the time, lol.

13. Re: Codemasters on Op Flashpoint Sequels Feb 26, 2009, 10:25 everyone

i'm suprised that anyone's suprised by this. as mentioned above for farcry, ubisoft are currently doing this a lot. taking an established name that they have the rights to and using that name on a new product that only has loose ties to the original (see: rainbow six, ghost recon, new prince of persia). it's nothing to do with the quality of the game being sold, but that it'll sell more with a big name on the box  

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo