Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Game Release Dates Spreading?

EA: We've learned our lesson on release dates on GamesIndustry.biz talks with Glen Schofield of EA's Redwood Shores studio, who indicates that he thinks the industry finally agrees with game fans who have been saying for years that targeting the holidays for every major game release doesn't make much sense:

"I think the industry has finally gone, 'Wow, we could probably just come out just like the movies do'. Movies launch on Christmas day, they launch blockbusters during the summer, and we're now learning that we could probably launch a game at any time, and if it's a good game it will be well received.

"I think that we traditionally thought that people only buy games at Christmas or around holiday time, and now we're looking back and going, 'You know what, GTA launched in May; Resident Evil comes out in March'."

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Game Release Dates Spreading? Feb 26, 2009, 14:14 Kxmode

Uh, suck my left nut, CJ.

I don't do half-assed shit. I want the whole hairy nutsack.

Umm... leaving this toxic thread

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Game Release Dates Spreading? Feb 26, 2009, 09:12 CJ_Parker

Uh, suck my left nut, CJ.

I don't do half-assed shit. I want the whole hairy nutsack.

The word is the game is done as is.

Whose word exactly? Someone from high up the chain of command who would have real good insight as far as the status of the whole project is concerned? Or are we talking about the "word" of some dumbass tinfoil hat wearing nerd brigade who smell a conspiracy theory any time EA decides on anything?

It's only being held back for a simultaneous release.

Stop being a parrot of the tards who believe unconfirmed stupid shit like that.

They don't need more time for polish, nor will it be used for such, but for working on the console releases.

Yeah, of course. They have frozen the PC gold master in carbonite so it can't be touched until the console versions are finished. Ho-hummm.

Shit, they've only been working on it for 5 or so ears +/-. This flys in the face of their bullshit statement.

Err... what exactly flies in whose face and ears? Are you on drugs? Could we at least try to make sense?

But if you want to whore for EA it's your sphincter, not mine.

Sorry to disappoint you but I don't do the passive part. However, if you want to get a taste of my fucking skillz dial 1-800-CJS-COCK-IS-DA-MONSTAH .

Just don't bitch when you're forced to take it without lube as they always like to deliver it. Because if you think they'll spend an iota more of time on the PC version getting right than they will on the console versions you're high, very high on the marijuana.

Yeah right. Feel free to provide a link to a credible, veritable, and reputable source from inside EA/BioWare that confirms the stupid crap that you are claiming.
As for bitching, you and your anti-corporate commie bros would be the first and loudest to bitch and moan if they released the game in March as originally planned and if it had even a single bug like a minor spelling error. You'd be all over EA and BioWare and how Bio sold out and how EA is this evil corporate asshole company and all that useless shit and drama. Yawn. People like you who live inside their paranoid pipe dream worlds bore me.

30. Re: Game Release Dates Spreading? Feb 26, 2009, 06:53 Cutter

OK, so where's your brain? Douchebag.

Seriously, would you really prefer being abused as a PC beta tester for the console versions? I know I wouldn't. I'm glad they pushed it back. The additional time can only do the game good. It will be a richer, more polished experience with another six (or even more) months of dev time and testing. It's all good.

Uh, suck my left nut, CJ. The word is the game is done as is. It's only being held back for a simultaneous release. They don't need more time for polish, nor will it be used for such, but for working on the console releases. Shit, they've only been working on it for 5 or so ears +/-. This flys in the face of their bullshit statement. But if you want to whore for EA it's your sphincter, not mine. Just don't bitch when you're forced to take it without lube as they always like to deliver it. Because if you think they'll spend an iota more of time on the PC version getting right than they will on the console versions you're high, very high on the marijuana.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2009, 06:55.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

29. Re: Game Release Dates Spreading? Feb 26, 2009, 04:23 CJ_Parker

Ok, so where's Age of Dargons? Douchebags.

OK, so where's your brain? Douchebag.

Seriously, would you really prefer being abused as a PC beta tester for the console versions? I know I wouldn't. I'm glad they pushed it back. The additional time can only do the game good. It will be a richer, more polished experience with another six (or even more) months of dev time and testing. It's all good.

28. Re: Game Release Dates Spreading? Feb 26, 2009, 01:51 Cutter

Ok, so where's Age of Dargons? Douchebags.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

27. Re: Game Release Dates Spreading? Feb 26, 2009, 01:41 Mostly_Harmless

The way games are currently released does have some advantage to me as a time poor gamer with a big backlog of games that I want to play. When several triple A titles are released together I generally have to just grab one and leave the rest for later, by the time I get to play most games they are usually discounted and have been patched, I rarely have to pay more than 20 for any PC or PS3 game.

I don't see how spreading out game releases through the year will mean we see more finished and polished games though, they will still be working to a release schedule and the suits will still want them pushed out of the door as soon as possible.

26. Re: Game Release Dates Spreading? Feb 26, 2009, 01:35 Tanto Edge

It's like Newell said: It's a service issue.
I know I'd buy ME on PC if it was twenty bucks, through Steam or some other online service.
Half the price, triple the profit.
Funny thing that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

25. Re: Game Release Dates Spreading? Feb 26, 2009, 01:03 RP

Why should I spend $50 on a DRM'd console port that offers ~6 hours of gameplay? I can rent the console version for a few bucks.

Where's the incentive here?

24. Re: Game Release Dates Spreading? Feb 26, 2009, 00:40 Jerykk

I'm guessing Mirror's Edge hasn't sold too well on NPC, as I haven't seen it in any of the top-selling PC charts. It's a shame because I do like the game except it's ridiculously short and it has Securom DRM. I suspect it would sell a lot more at $30 with no DRM. They really should have included the DLC map pack with the game too. If you delay a port, you need to provide bonus incentives to compensate for the lack of hype.  

23. Re: Game Release Dates Spreading? Feb 26, 2009, 00:28 StingingVelvet

I wonder how Mirror's Edge sold on PC, compared to most games of that type. It came out in January a month or so after the other recent AAA titles, and I know a lot of people on my forums bought the game, many of them probably because there was nothing else coming out in January.  

22. Re: Game Release Dates Spreading? Feb 26, 2009, 00:00 Tanto Edge

Shit like this pisses me off because it just reminds me of when I was in my 'Game Design' school (read: institution for the suckered and hopeful) where I explained that if the game is good, the marketing will let it sell well no matter the season.

Of course I was 'wrong' then, and now I'm not, along with so many other little points that have finally come full circle.
I hope all the narrow minded fiscally charged asshats running this industry spontaneously implode like a Stephen King novel come to life.

While I would agree that it is a bad idea to release next to a large IP (as in, don't release your game the same day as GTA4, or 5, or an expansion therein), overall, if your game is different enough and would address a market aside whichever big name is releasing, you should be fine.

It's appalling when these little nuggets of wisdom hit the mainstream. It's appalling that it took this fucking long.

Christ this industry is ridiculous some days.

Edit: Agreed with ShadowOnline. Release the game 'When its Done', and stop trying to sell me unlockables.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2009, 00:02.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

21. Re: Game Release Dates Spreading? Feb 25, 2009, 23:58 Blatz

How about they just release the games "When it's done"... but actually do finish and release them  

20. Re: Game Release Dates Spreading? Feb 25, 2009, 23:45 Acleacius

I really think there has been more of an arrogance since the 1980s, corporations have been only worried about short term bottom line for those bonus based jobs. Corporate management has become stifling competition, putting the competitor out of business, buying them up and liquidating them.

Instead the old days there really was competition against other companies, trying to one up the competition by doing a better job, a long term strategy of customer first.

I have posted this in the past, as it's relevant often times.
http://www.maniacworld.com/Zappa-explains-the-decline-of-music.html

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

19. Re: Game Release Dates Spreading? Feb 25, 2009, 23:28 Dr. D. Schreber

1) People have limited time.
2) People have limited money.
3) The economy sucks.
4) Games with the most hype sell a lot more than games with less hype.

I would wager that a large part of the reason upper-class greed flourishes as well as it has for centuries on end is genuine ignorance about these things we consider obvious. Out of sight, out of mind. Businessmen are still human, and humans are prone to pretending the world is the way they want it to be, rather than the way it actually is. The way you want the world to be when you have money is in a state of being where people will keep giving you more money no matter what.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

18. Re: Game Release Dates Spreading? Feb 25, 2009, 23:11 Jerykk

Pretty depressing that this seems to be a revelation to EA or anyone in the industry for that matter. Gee, let's look at the facts here:

1) People have limited time.
2) People have limited money.
3) The economy sucks.
4) Games with the most hype sell a lot more than games with less hype.

Add it all up and hey, what do you know? Releasing all your games at the same time as the greater-hyped competition isn't such a bright idea after all!

If Eidos hadn't rushed TR:U for the holiday season, the game would have been a lot more polished. They might have even been able to make the combat less crappy. And if they had released it later, they wouldn't have had to worry about ultra-hyped competition like Fallout 3 and GoW2.

I guess the way I see it is that Halo 4 and Gears of War 3 are games that sell to both core players and to the mass market.

I'd consider both Halo and GoW to be mass market. When a large portion of your audience consists of pre-teens, then you know your game is mainstream.

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2009, 23:14.

17. Re: Game Release Dates Spreading? Feb 25, 2009, 22:52 PHJF

The plus side of releasing games between Nov-Feb is that we northerners find ourselves indoors quite often.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

16. Re: Game Release Dates Spreading? Feb 25, 2009, 22:27 Bone43

I think the industry has finally gone, 'Wow, we could probably just come out just like the movies do'

Wow! fucking rocket scientist or what?

15. Re: Game Release Dates Spreading? Feb 25, 2009, 22:24 Z9000

If you think back, most of Blizzards stuff hit in the spring. You know that giant dead zone of gaming. The reason EA is shifting now is that there are 5 major gaming devices (PC, DS, PSP, Xbox, PS3) that people buy for. Many are all in one home for each buyer (I would bet at least 2 per average gamer). You add that up during the holidays and it's become just as much cross platform competition as it has been same platform competition. People go back and catch up on some titles but they have already dropped in price. Spreading it all out will provide much better yearly income from first week sales, no doubt.  
PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

14. Oh dear God... Feb 25, 2009, 22:21 Creston

It's like someone finally listened to me.

*cries*

Creston

13. Re: Game Release Dates Spreading? Feb 25, 2009, 22:20 Aero

I'd make a point of shooting for a May release. There usually isn't a glut of releases, but it also isn't an uncommon release target. Most importantly, it's when those tax returns show up. I know quite a few people right now planning on using their tax returns to buy a console. It's like free money--from a certain perspective anyways, one often held by the mid-twenties, male, typical gamer-types.  

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo