Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment

Stardock announces the Entrenchment "micro-expansion" for Ironclad's Sins of a Solar Empire is now available for online purchase and download on Stardock's Impulse service. Here's a description: "Entrenchment adds a host of new features including starbases, defense upgrades, a new defense technology tree, mine fields, and hundreds of enhancements to both the gameplay and graphics of the game." Of course, the original Sins of a Solar Empire is required to play. Word is Ironclad has plans for further micro-expansions over the next year.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment Feb 26, 2009, 09:45 Prez

Wow! I got sucked in to the age old strategy game trap of "only going to try it for a few minutes". I started a game to see the new material, expecting to play maybe 20 minutes or so. 4 hours later ... you know the story.

Once again, Stardock hits a home run. Love the added features and changes - definitely worth the ten spot in my opinion.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment Feb 25, 2009, 23:03 Wowbagger_TIP

If you've never installed an Entrenchment beta, then you shouldn't have to reinstall anything. The starbases are pretty awesome It may still need some tweaking for balance issues, but that'll probably take a while to determine for sure. All I know is that it's just what Sins needed and they've made a huge number of improvements (AI improvements, game options, bugfixes, other conveniences) that will eventually make their way into patches for vanilla Sins. Definitely worth the price if you like Sins.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment Feb 25, 2009, 22:42 Z9000

Awesome! Was looking for something to do after this play through on TLR. Guess I found it.  
PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment Feb 25, 2009, 22:24 Creston

I admit I haven't really followed the news on the SoSE expansion, I though they were going to do a single player campaign? Is that idea entirely gone again?

Sigh.

Creston

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment Feb 25, 2009, 21:16 Bluesfanboi

Some Starbases are mobile as well...dangerous!  

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment Feb 25, 2009, 19:26 Keith

You can build multiple starbases; which leads to one of my biggest gripes so far. They build pretty quickly and are tough to get rid of. Plus they aren't very expensive, relatively speaking. So far I've had good success with the somewhat cheesy tactic of dropping a starbase (with some support, of course) in to enemy held space. While they don't win in-and-of themselves, they are a royal pain and take far more than they cost to destroy. I haven't tried it, but one of them also moves within a single system. Seems like this tactic would work even better. Still, they are cool. All those lasers, missiles, and ships launching from them to crush their enemies. Kind of Death Star-ish, although they look more like a square Cylon basestar.
As far as Demigod goes, I did say that my comparison to Sacrifice wasn't quite accurate. Just in the control of the demigod. And I can't think of anything else to compare it with. Maybe a chess-Sacrifice-hybrid? You directly control a demigod, a 3rd person avatar (like Sacrifice here). He or she can be upgraded with items (boots of +15% speed, armor, etc.). You have to capture control points around the map by standing next to them; each one can do something different (add troop health, -15% conversion time, etc.). Some of them deploy troops. You can't directly control these troops; they just head for the nearest enemy and start whacking. You can help them considerably though. You can also capture gold mines that allow you to purchase upgrade for your troops, for your avatar, etc.

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment Feb 25, 2009, 18:32 starmonkey

While I don't agree that Demigod is like Sacrifice I do agree that Sacrifice was fucking awesome.

I loved Sac! Great fun, but MP scared me I remember using some tornado power against my mate's land-based creatures on maps that had edges that dropped away to nothing, and they all just died there and then

Wouldn't mind playing sac again - perhaps it's on gog.com?

edit: yep: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/sacrifice

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2009, 18:32.

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment Feb 25, 2009, 18:24 Kamakazie

Anything that gets compared to Sacrifice gets at least one try from me.

While I don't agree that Demigod is like Sacrifice I do agree that Sacrifice was fucking awesome.

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment Feb 25, 2009, 17:53 Ventura

So, my questions about Entrenchment must be...

How cool are the starbases? Are they worth building? If an opposing player were to warp into your system and then spot one, would he pretty much go "oh shit!"??

Oh yeah, and you can only build one in a game, right?

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment Feb 25, 2009, 17:38 Mikus_Aurelius

I think the closest thing I can compare it to is "Sacrifice"

Anything that gets compared to Sacrifice gets at least one try from me.

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment Feb 25, 2009, 17:13 Keith

Also had to reinstall Sins and Entrenchment beta to get the retail version of Entrenchment. Likely everyone will have to. All told, took just over an hour to download both.
As I have been playing the beta, I will also add that if you like Sins, you'll probably like Entrenchment. It adds a few new features and at $10 you get a decent bang for the buck.
I also got the Demigod beta by pre-ordering through Impulse. It's not likely to whet everyone's whistle, but I've sure been enjoying it. I think the closest thing I can compare it to is "Sacrifice", but that's not wholly accurate. In any event, worth a try when the regular demo comes out if you like Stardock/Gas Powered Games.

1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment Feb 25, 2009, 16:28 Bluesfanboi

One slight issue...my (latest incremental beta) copy of Entrenchment stated "You can't update this version, you have to uninstall Entrenchment to install it."

So I uninstalled Entrenchment but not Sins, but it actually uninstalled Sins as well and I have to reinstall them both. Bleh.

Watch out for that!

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo