Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dawn of War II Patch

Steam News announces a new Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II patch is now automatically available via Steam. Here's the problem it addresses: "Improved memory heap management to reduce 'out-of-memory' crashes that were plaguing certain systems, including 32-Bit Vista on High and Ultra settings. Often reported as 'error 183 failed to create to create dump'."

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Feb 25, 2009, 13:54 kimbambaman

enjoying it so far, but man...is it too much to ask to include a key layout in the manual?! i must be spoiled by...well, pretty much every other game manual in every other game i've bought in recent memory.

Here ya go: http://cdn.steampowered.com/QuickRefs/15620/02_DOW2_PC_14486_UK_KEYS.PDF?t=1235584928

"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Feb 24, 2009, 23:49 ^mortis^

enjoying it so far, but man...is it too much to ask to include a key layout in the manual?! i must be spoiled by...well, pretty much every other game manual in every other game i've bought in recent memory.

^m^

28. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Feb 24, 2009, 21:15 OpticNerve

Relic is a weird company. Great artists, but apparently they got some pretty bad programmers. The net play in Company of Heroes was so frustrating, despite Relic having 2+ years to fix the it. I uninstalled COH a couple nights ago because of it. It's frustrating because the game is really fun to play.. when it works.

Yeah, Relic kind of reminds me of Troika. Both Arcanum and Vampire: Bloodlines (and The Temple of Elemental Evil to some extent) were unique and really good RPGs but man were the retail versions broken as hell and filled with bugs.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2009, 21:18.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

27. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Feb 24, 2009, 20:11 Charlie_Six

Relic is a weird company. Great artists, but apparently they got some pretty bad programmers. The net play in Company of Heroes was so frustrating, despite Relic having 2+ years to fix the it. I uninstalled COH a couple nights ago because of it. It's frustrating because the game is really fun to play.. when it works.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

26. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Feb 24, 2009, 19:45 Jow

That's a pretty big issue. Is it really that hard for them to maintain compatibility?

Who knows, but in the first month with patches galore coming best not expect any replays you save to be viable for long.

25. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Feb 24, 2009, 19:10 TangoBaker

DoWII reminds me a lot more of Freedom Force than it does the first DoW.

24. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Feb 24, 2009, 17:43 theyarecomingforyou

THE ONLY ISSUE IS, now that game is at version 1.1.2 on steam, the replays have to be recorded using same version, otherwise you cannot watch them.
That's a pretty big issue. Is it really that hard for them to maintain compatibility?

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

23. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Feb 24, 2009, 16:56 KilrathiAce

No at this time you cannot spectate multiplayer games, however you can download replays, a lot of them are uploaded to http://www.gamereplays.org/dawnofwar2/replays.php?game=47&

THE ONLY ISSUE IS, now that game is at version 1.1.2 on steam, the replays have to be recorded using same version, otherwise you cannot watch them.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

22. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Feb 24, 2009, 16:06 elefunk

Thanks for the insight everyone. I did play and enjoy World in Conflict, although I never finished it. Sounds like its that kind of gameplay with some RPG elements thrown in. Is that about right? If so, that sounds interesting...
hmm, somewhat. I'm in the same boat as you - never been that great at strategy games, but often interested in trying new ones. I bought World in Conflict last year and played through the whole campaign, really enjoyed it. I just bought Dawn of War II yesterday and played the first couple missions - it's quite different from World in Conflict.

I do see similarities between them, but mainly because they're each independently so different from standard RTSs. World in Conflict is different because of the free-roam camera, strong focus on support attacks, unique multiplayer setup, a lack of base building, and the way you reinforce units. Dawn of War II shares the lack of base building attribute, but its campaign doesn't even have mid-game unit deployment - it's all about using the units you choose before the mission starts in an Action RPG-type setup.

With all the loot gathering, character leveling-up, and loadout customizing of Dawn of War II, I really enjoy it more than most other RTSs I've played.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2009, 16:12.

21. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Feb 24, 2009, 15:40 Kxmode

'error 183 failed to create to create dump'

Patched!

20. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Feb 24, 2009, 15:25 verybad

Got it as a reward to myself after doing my taxes. (I owe bigtime so I needed a pick me up). So far no crashes, playing on Vista 64, max graphics settings, GT 260 vcard, 4g ram. I'm about 2-3 hours of play in and it's defineately fun. You get pissed when your squads get killed, and distributing the lewt is fun. I can see replay and mp in the future with this one.  

19. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Feb 24, 2009, 15:19 LittleMe

Does DoW II have built in spectating of multiplayer games?  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

18. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Feb 24, 2009, 15:14 Warskull

Would you guys recommend this game to a non-RTS player? There are a lot of interesting elements and positive buzz about this game, but as someone who traditionally doesn't enjoy RTS games (due to micromanagement and such) I'm afraid of getting burned. Thoughts?

It depends on what you want to play. Single player is more a real time, tactical RPG. You fight through a stage, get some item drops, and kill a boss. Each stage usually has a simple objective and they are varied enough to keep it interesting. In single player you only have 4 squads, 2 per player if you do Co-op (2 player.)

Multiplayer requires a bit more micro. Problem is Starcraft and a lot of other RTS games give micro a bad name. Starcraft has very high micro demands and a lot of unnecessary micro (yes, it was about as good as you could get back then.) A lot of other RTS games blindly follow it and in turn have a lot of pointless micro. The micro in DoW II is almost all focused on your units. You will rarely have more than 10 selectable units on the field, but all of them have abilities. I think entry level play in DoW II is more accessible than most RTS games.

Still I would wait on getting it to see if Relic cleans up their act a bit. There are still a few game breakers floating about that they claim will be fixed in 1-2 weeks. Until these are fixed multiplayer is essentially dead in the water.

17. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Feb 24, 2009, 14:49 KilrathiAce

Relic still haven't fixed multiplayer population cap bug even though they said they had a build that fixes this bug at release. Why? Because they are waiting for MS certification which can take up to another week. Its funny that Relic wanted to use steam partially so that they can roll out updates fast, yet due to usage of games for windows live, every time they apply code changes or plan to they have to wait 1-2 weeks for ms certification. Idiotic. This game has a lot of potential, but the release been not as well done as it should.

Game is not worth $50 at release, but $40 at most. $50 would imply that they actually tested day0 patch, which they clearly did not.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

16. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Feb 24, 2009, 14:39 Jow

I'm not overwhelmed by the awesomeness of the campaign like some are, but given how ambitious Relic was trying to be with this title I'm willing to forgive some of the wrinkles. There's a lot of good stuff here that I think will be ironed out with player feedback, etc. Really looking forward to the popcap patch so I can play multiplayer again and then beyond that what they have up their sleeves in terms of DLC.  

15. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Feb 24, 2009, 14:38 Lord Tea

error 183 failed to create to create dump

game suffers from constipation on high and ultra settings...

UPSA = United Police States of America

14. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Feb 24, 2009, 14:33 SpectralMeat

I don't know... whichever is the default. The main missions are definitely better than the optional missions, which largely revolve around repetitive tasks. The RPG-like elements were definitely the best aspect of the singleplayer, making it worthwhile to capture optional structures like communication arrays for orbital bombardment. It did something new and felt fresh. At the end of the day it was fun. Not particularly deep. Just fun.

You should try it on Captain difficulty for a bit of a challenge. I found that the default difficulty a bit too easy and that it rarely required too much tactics. Just charge and wade through gunfire and your powerful Force Commander would just soak up all the damage and you'd still win out. In Captain or Primarch difficulty, there's a noticeble difference in that doing that type of tactic would get your squad easily killed over and over again. You need to scout ahead, time your attacks and to use cover to win a lot of the missions later on.

I am playing it on captain difficulty and my finger is on the "x" button all the time to quick retreat. That is probably the most used feature by me so far

Especially the boss battles takes a few run at them to complete them. It is definitely a lot more tactical than your average RTS games. So much depends on your load out, weapons you use against what type of enemies and which squads you take with you on each missions. Couple of trial and error scenarios there.

Steam: SpectralMeat

13. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Feb 24, 2009, 13:53 kimbambaman

Thanks for the insight everyone. I did play and enjoy World in Conflict, although I never finished it. Sounds like its that kind of gameplay with some RPG elements thrown in. Is that about right? If so, that sounds interesting...  
"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

12. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Feb 24, 2009, 13:35 OpticNerve

I don't know... whichever is the default. The main missions are definitely better than the optional missions, which largely revolve around repetitive tasks. The RPG-like elements were definitely the best aspect of the singleplayer, making it worthwhile to capture optional structures like communication arrays for orbital bombardment. It did something new and felt fresh. At the end of the day it was fun. Not particularly deep. Just fun.

You should try it on Captain difficulty for a bit of a challenge. I found that the default difficulty a bit too easy and that it rarely required too much tactics. Just charge and wade through gunfire and your powerful Force Commander would just soak up all the damage and you'd still win out. In Captain or Primarch difficulty, there's a noticeble difference in that doing that type of tactic would get your squad easily killed over and over again. You need to scout ahead, time your attacks and to use cover to win a lot of the missions later on.

In that regard, it almost reminds me of Left 4 Dead because the game doesn't really show it's depth until you try out a harder difficulty and it forces you to use tactics to overcome tough odds.

And like L4D, co-op's awesome if you have a buddy to play it with, otherwise it can get frustrating to play with pubbies who seem intent on screwing up your squad's stats and think that the best way to play Primarch is to charge headfirst into a firefight.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

11. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Feb 24, 2009, 13:29 Dr. D. Schreber

Would you guys recommend this game to a non-RTS player? There are a lot of interesting elements and positive buzz about this game, but as someone who traditionally doesn't enjoy RTS games (due to micromanagement and such) I'm afraid of getting burned. Thoughts?

It's still an RTS at heart, but the idea behind the design is to get rid of the more annoying parts of RTS micro-managment. In multiplayer, everything is done from one structure, and in singleplayer, there isn't even that, you have a persistent army between missions. Decisions don't come in the form of "what order do I build my infrastructure in?" but "what order do I build my army in?" and how to place your squads around the battlefield (areas of cover, inside buildings) so they're the most effective at what they do.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo