Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dawn of War II Patched

A note on Steam has word that a patch is available for Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II, fixing a problem that caused missions to stop populating. It looks like this was posted Friday, so apologies for missing it at the time, though by virtue of the game's use of Steamworks, presumably most users got the update automatically anyway.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Dawn of War II Patched Feb 24, 2009, 22:38 Creston

Creston is my favorite user on Bluesnews.

Hey, sad little human is still around too.

So, do you have that post of mine bookmarked? Or do you just spend hours on hours going through old posts trying to find it again? Must be really lonely now that your ass buddy Zeph deserted you huh?

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Dawn of War II Patched Feb 24, 2009, 14:36 Jow

that's exactly how i felt about primarch - not difficult per se, but really, really annoying trying to babysit marines that are supposed to be badasses but instead are tissue-paper. It just didn't have the right feel to me, at all. Captain (hard) definitely feels better in that vein but I wish they'd come up with a different way of increasing difficulty.  

14. Re: Dawn of War II Patched Feb 24, 2009, 12:50 Tumbler

I'm pretty fed up with the SP game at this point. The unit upgrades are a lot of fun, all the abilites each unit can have make it possible to customize how you want to use your units. The gameplay on the missions feels like an after thought. I enjoy the boss battles some of the time but moving across the map is a chore. I'm on primarch difficulty and my units get cut down regularly.

Seems like all my units die at the hands of everything. Hormaguants, guardians, shootie guants, everything kills my marines as is they are wearing no armor.

It seems safe to say that this highest difficulty is just you against units that do extreme damage and have extreme health... It's not a lot of fun to see 4 of your marine squads butchered by 2 guardian squads. Or 2 squads of shooty guants.

I regret choosing primarch difficulty. It sucks. It forces you to focus on one enemy, kill him, retreat, inch forward, repeat. I wouldn't say it's harder, it just takes WAY longer to complete missions.

The only reason I'm taking the time to do these missions is to see the wargear and rank ups I get after the missions. I think I'd prefer some more complex missions where you can build armies at least, all you do is run around with these specific units and die a lot.

Feels like the missions are just an excuse to use all these toys your equipping on your units. It's a little frustrating that some of the stuff didn't make it into the MP game as upgrade options.

And why aren't these SP maps available for MP games? It can't be that hard to place some energy and req points.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2009, 12:59.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

13. Re: Dawn of War II Patched Feb 24, 2009, 11:39 PHJF

No I got fed up and quit playing somewhere around LVL 14. I got sick of spending 30 minutes clearing a map only to get nuked by the boss's inevitable one-hit-kill AOE attack. The single player game is just shit. I'm much happier going back and playing Dark Crusade where I can at least BUILD THINGS in my highly repetitive, skirmish-only single player maps. I'm not interested in multiplay.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: Dawn of War II Patched Feb 24, 2009, 05:08 OpticNerve

I've found that every character has a big use, especially as the difficulty ramps up. Cyrus is insanely useful on Primarch difficulty just for being able to scout areas ahead of you to plan an attack, to blow up secured enemy structures and most importantly, to stealth-res your other squads when a boss slaughters them (which is often on Primarch difficulty). He's also great for basically doing a Starcraft Ghost and targetting areas for bombing strikes.

Tarkus is not a main damage dealer at all. His role is that of support. Having his unlimited grenade ammo makes him invaluable for clearing out grouped infantry (which happens a lot), structures and once you stack on Terminator armor and a flamer and he just supresses the hell out of everything and deals a decent amount of aoe damage. Unlock the trait which makes his buff apply to your other squads and that makes him an awesome support class.

Thaddeus requires a ton of good gear to be able to withstand a lot of damage but I never thought of him as a tank type of class compared to the FC or the Dreadnaught. Like his class name implies, he's there to assault a group of enemies, cause havok and to move back to find another chance to strike. A lot of people I've played co-op with seem to treat him as a tank like the FC which is really just going to be frustrating cause he simply doesn't have the HPs like the FC to take a ton of damage. He's there to make surgical strikes and when done, it can just seriously fuck up the enemy.

Terminator armor can be pretty good given that it has an inherent bonus of not ever being able to be knocked back and being able to run through the cover that an enemy squad is taking cover behind. Tarkus and Avitus are good squads to equip with Terminator armor. I never put it on the FC though since he loses so much of his functionality when he equips it.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2009, 05:11.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

11. Re: Dawn of War II Patched Feb 24, 2009, 04:53 human

Mere weeks around the announcement of HL2, Creston gave us his thoughts on the franchise:

"Seriously, I expect NOTHING to come out of Valve, and with nothing I mean absolutely a big fat zero. After all, if they WERE to release something at some point in the ongoing space time continuum, they will lose their Biggest VaporWare Producer challenge with 3dRealms."

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=41225&id=81006&view=threads

Creston is my favorite user on Bluesnews.

10. Re: Dawn of War II Patched Feb 24, 2009, 03:17 Creston

Single player is incredibly boring/repetitive

I thought so too, but once you reach level ~ 12 or so, it does seem to open up. It uses the same lame bullshit leveling system that Oblivion does, so your enemies are ALWAYS one level above you (or more, if you're fighting against an Elite or Heavy Elite enemy.)

If the Orcs REALLY had that many level 20 nobs, wouldn't they have fucking obliterated the universe by now?

So that's pretty goddamn annoying for the first 10 levels or so, because even a unit of pissant trash will wipe the floor with your "Veteran of a thousand battles" tactical space marine squad.

Your Force Commander continuously gets nailed so you can barely use him, and Avitus is irritating because he deploys/redeploys so slowly.

I was about to give up, but played on for a few more missions. I got lucky with some loot drops, that bumped Avitus' damage up by 200 or so, got a VERY good weapon for my Force commander (recovers health on hits) and suddenly I could move my squads around a bit more freely without having to worry about getting ganked by a trash mob.

Eventually my items got good enough that I was heavily outpacing the level curve, allowing me to deploy a single squad to block off a chokepoint, thereby herding the enemy more to a certain area where I could unleash more tactical attacks on them. That made it a ton more fun. My Force Commander is currently so awesome that I can almost clear entire maps with him by himself. He is immune when I activate his To Victory rush, he has jump jets so he can extricate himself from battle, has 78 armor, recovers health on every hit AND recovers health for every enemy he kills, plus when I activate his battle cry, he pretty much kills every enemy with a single hit anyways. At the same time, I finally got Avitus to the point where he deploys instantly, making him a veritable death machine and I finally got the Dreadnought (with its super awesome Hail of Explosive Slaughter or whatever attack every 20 seconds.)

There are still some irritating things though.

- Thaddeus is worthless. Just worthless. In DoW1, assault marines were just good enough because they had 10 guys in a squad and could overrun an entrenched position. Here there's 3 guys in the squad, and they die from a 4 year old child pissing on them. Great unit...

- Tarkus (tactical marine), really is no better. He briefly got up to useful level during levels 13-15, when his items allowed him to outpace the level curve, but he has since fallen DRAMATICALLY behind my other teammembers. My force commander does 700 DPS. the Dreadnought does 850. Avitus does 1950. Tarkus does 120.
Which of these does not belong?

Cyrus is a good unit in the early levels because of his one shot one kill sniping ability, and with det packs and infiltration he can wipe out entrenched positions fairly easily. However, he completely loses all usefulness once you go above level 12 or so. His DPS is just pathetic.

- Terminator armor fucking SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKSSSSSSSSS. When I finally got it, I hopped around in glee, only to see that when I equipped it, my DPS went down by 200 in most cases, AND my armor ratings went down because you can't use most of your accessories. Oh well, it's still TERMINATOR Armor, right? I mean, Terminators in the first game were so fucking pimp, two of them could clear an entire map.

Switch Avitus to terminator. With the right Terminator Assault cannon, he lost about 50 DPS. Okay, that's not so bad.
Yeah.
1) Avitus the bolter guy shoots continuous streams of heavy bolter death. Avitus the terminator guy shoots a single assault cannon shot, which does... 200 damage or so against an enemy with 2400 health?
2) Terminators apparently do not believe in cover. If you order them to stand behind cover, they instead smash it. Great guys. Good job.
3) They die quicker than Cyrus does. Shit, they made THADDEUS look like he's the toughest motherfucker to ever put on a space marine suit.
Ehm hello? These are terminators?

I had stupidly trashed my old items for Avitus, so for about three levels, he was just fodder. He never did anything, basically, besides destroy cover. My force commander killed 80% of the level, the dreadnought killed 18%, and Tarkus killed the remaining 2%.

I finally got a ridiculous drop on a Heavy Bolter (standard damage is 235), when I equipped it on Avitus he went from ~ 680 damage last time he had been a bolter guy and ~ 590 as a Terminator to 1950. he's now back to being useful.

It's retarded that Terminators suck so bad. I'm giving my force commander a try as a terminator since I found a terminator teleport thingy. Not AS useful as a jetpack, but terminators can't use jetpacks.

- Warp Spiders are apparently now all Avatars of Khaine. A single warp spider unit (A fucking ELDAR unit!) will gladly murder two squads of space marines. That's three warp spiders in a unit. I've seen the fucking thing wipe out Tarkus and Avitus in very little time.
That's just bullshit. It's an Eldar!

All in all, I think they made some very very VERY poor decisions in this campaign and if they truly believe that this is the future direction of RTS, I hope to God they're wrong.

That said, once I breached that curve and my squads actually started doing something, I started having tons of fun with it. Raping whole armies of Orcs with my Force Commander is glorious.

It's a bit stupid that you apparently have to sit through 6-10 hours of suck before it gets fun, but at least it IS there. Somewhere. If you're lucky.

Creston

9. Re: Dawn of War II Patched Feb 24, 2009, 00:55 Caveman

Update, Relic just released another patch addressing the out of memory bug. Next up is the pop bug which is aimed to be released by the end of this week.

8. Re: Dawn of War II Patched Feb 24, 2009, 00:50 Caveman

I wouldn't know, I don't play Space Marines. Stompy ftw.  

7. Re: Dawn of War II Patched Feb 24, 2009, 00:46 Charlie_Six

o_O how do you defend such a bug? Pretty freakin major.  
Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

6. Re: Dawn of War II Patched Feb 24, 2009, 00:41 Jow

Caveman, I'd say playing Space Marines where most of your squads only have three members to begin with makes it pretty unplayable right now.  

5. Re: Dawn of War II Patched Feb 24, 2009, 00:30 PHJF

Single player is incredibly boring/repetitive  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: Dawn of War II Patched Feb 23, 2009, 23:25 Caveman

Yes, and it's easily avoidable, all you have to do is not reinforce your squads to the max. Hardly unplayable...

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 2009, 23:26.

3. Re: Dawn of War II Patched Feb 23, 2009, 22:28 Warskull

Overall though,this game is really well polished and I love it!

Game is unplayable in multiplayer. They have a huge bug that causes units to permanently eat up pop-cap making it so you cannot produce units.

2. Re: Dawn of War II Patched Feb 23, 2009, 21:54 Caveman

Overall though,this game is really well polished and I love it!  

1. Re: Dawn of War II Patched Feb 23, 2009, 21:21 Jow

too bad there are still 1 or 2 real gamekiller bugs floating around out there.  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo