Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

PennLive.com - Gamefly - Buyer Be Aware.
"I can't recommend Gamefly to anyone. It is a great concept but if I pay $23 a month, I want a guarantee that I will get 2 games at a time which is what I would be paying for. I had 16 games in my queue and they had none of those titles available, despite most of them being marked as 'High Availability.' It is entirely possible that you could pay $23 and receive nothing for an entire month and Gamefly will still charge you. They will claim your titles were unavailable and as they promise nothing, you will be unable to legally dispute the charges."

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2009, 20:24 House

I've been using GameFly for almost 5 years and don't have many complaints. The turnaround time is usually 4 days for me, but it used to be only 2 days when I lived downtown, closer to our central post office.

If there's a new game coming out, and it's at the top of my queue, I always get it mailed to me on the day it came out. If something has recently come out, and it's popular, it's true that it'll take a while to get it mailed to me. I usually plan ahead before games or released, or else I just rent other stuff until the games I want become more available.

Their purchase prices are very reasonable. I bought GTA IV on the day it came out (so it was essentially new) and only paid $45 for it. Looking at my account history, I've bought 14 games from them, most for $10-$15.

I used to get burned on so many purchases, or feel compelled to play crappy games just because I'd dropped $50-$60 on them. With rentals I can just give something an hour (or sometimes even less), pop it in the mail, and in a few days have something else to play. I also like that they still have big libraries of PS2 and GC games - several times I've wanted to revisit an old favorite or something I missed when it came out.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2009, 17:04 Tumbler

I've been using Gamefly for a couple of years, and I've never had this problem. Their turn-around time certainly isn't great, but it's never taken more than about 5 days.

I checked my account, and I've spent around $600 total and rented 57 games. That averages to around 2.5 games per month and $10 a game.

This sounds like my experience as well. The total cost per year isn't that big a deal in my eyes. $25 a month or so is the key. The monthly cost needs to be acceptable and for me it is.

Certain times of the year where new games are rare don't end up being a good value but other times where there is a new game every week it feels really nice not to have games sitting on your shelf laughing at you after you paid $60, played it for 2 days, and never looked back. Gears 2 comes to mind. If I'd paid for that game I'd have been PISSED. I know paying $23 is probably a little more than the service is worth but the bitter hatred that grows inside me every time I've bought a new game only to find it's crap is overflowing. I'm done buying games new. I rent. And much later I buy if I still want to play the game.

GTA4 I picked up for $20. Probably 6 months after I rented it? (From gamefly!)Love that game.

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 2009, 17:07.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

11. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2009, 16:19 Kxmode

"A fool and his money are soon parted"
1587 J. Bridges Defence of Government in Church of England xv. 1294

It was true over 500 years ago; it's true today.

10. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2009, 15:18 Bodolza

I've been using Gamefly for a couple of years, and I've never had this problem. Their turn-around time certainly isn't great, but it's never taken more than about 5 days.

I checked my account, and I've spent around $600 total and rented 57 games. That averages to around 2.5 games per month and $10 a game.

9. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2009, 08:42 dryden555

FINALLY someone tells it like it is. I had nothing but problems with gamefly and I'm a pretty patient guy. The service is over-priced. I typically had one game every 3-4 weeks and good luck if one of those games never arrives.  

8. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2009, 07:33 necrosis

The Consumerist has ripped into Gamefly once or twice IIRC.  

7. Re: Op Ed Feb 22, 2009, 23:42 Grooves

Yeah, if you only play half a dozen or so games a year.

So you think it's a deal to play $276 and at the end of the year you don't own anything you have played? If you are telling me you are buying games AND subscribing to Gamefly you aren't very smart. End of story.

6. Re: Op Ed Feb 22, 2009, 23:38 Grooves

Yep, $275 is about 6 very high quality games at release.

Don't give your money to Gamefly. Terrible idea. I just can't believe people pay that much money for a rental subscription.

5. Re: Op Ed Feb 22, 2009, 23:36 Wowbagger_TIP

$276 should be able to buy all the games you want without Gamefly, regardless of the hassles being reported.

Yeah, if you only play half a dozen or so games a year.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

4. Re: Op Ed Feb 22, 2009, 22:53 Bluesfanboi

$23/mth is $276/year.

$276 should be able to buy all the games you want without Gamefly, regardless of the hassles being reported.

3. Re: Op Ed Feb 22, 2009, 18:43 Stanly Manly

Back when I first tried Gamefly (cant recall how many years ago), it was a decent service. They had something called "Fast Turnaround", where they sent your next game as soon as they recieved notification from the post office that your game was in the mailing system. Games that were labeled "Available Now" were actually available. I got just about every game at the top of my queue.

I ended up cancelling the service when I had played all the games I wanted at the time.

When I next started up the service, I was really apalled at how the service had degraded. I didnt get the top games in my queue, and there was about a 2 week turnaround between games. I cancelled quickly. The service is nearly a scam these days, if you ask me.

You would be better off buying and then selling your game on ebay when you are done, or just renting from your local video store.

This comment was edited on Feb 22, 2009, 18:47.

2. Re: Op Ed Feb 22, 2009, 17:27 ldonyo

Still it's far cheaper than buying all those short games. If you play a lot of them.

It isn't cheaper if they never have the games you want, short or long.

1. Re: Op Ed Feb 22, 2009, 14:27 Paranoid Jack

The exact reason why my friend stopped paying for two games and then quit.

My brother was using it but I think he has also quit. Of course he was two years behind on his games so most of the sports games he wanted to play were actually available.

I only used the service for a month or three over the past three years. And I always cancel it quickly after starting it up. Funny how you pay for a month yet when you cancel they tell you they need their games back within days... not by the end of your subscription.

Still it's far cheaper than buying all those short games. If you play a lot of them. I keep going back to the PC on the other hand.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo