Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

QUAKE LIVE Open Beta Next Week

The QUAKE LIVE Website now launches into a splash screen saying open beta testing of id Software's free web-based game based on Quake III Arena will begin on February 24 (next Tuesday). According to Shacknews, launch of open beta testing will result in a stats wipe from the closed beta, and accounts will be closed for testers who haven't accessed their accounts in the previous 28 days.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Quake Live Beta Nears Feb 22, 2009, 12:29 KilrathiAce

snoozefest  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: QUAKE LIVE Open Beta Next Week Feb 21, 2009, 08:21 CreamyBlood

It's Quake 3 launchable from a browser. And it's free. What more do you want?

If you don't like it, don't go to their website.

I use it to warm up before killing people online. Often, I get absorbed and continue playing the game all night because I think it rocks. Other opinions may vary.

26. Re: QUAKE LIVE Open Beta Next Week Feb 21, 2009, 06:08 Yakumo

Does it let you record demos, watch demos or spectate games? yes, yes and yes.  

25. Re: QUAKE LIVE Open Beta Next Week Feb 21, 2009, 04:54 Jackplug

I just hope that when the grapple gets in there they will of made it look like the old Q1 style as it looked far better.

Thats all I would want!

24. Re: QUAKE LIVE Open Beta Next Week Feb 21, 2009, 03:52 LFace

Ive been in the beta test for a while, though dont go on it much due to work and world of crackcraft.

When I have played, it has been great going back to a game I played religiously for a very long time back in the day. No gibs is fine - you notice it instantly but it doesnt detract from the gameplay whatsoever and is still fun.

In regards to Mods, there is "some" mods already including in the browser, but nothing major. Ive seen instagib on there but cant remember if that was built into Quake 3 vanilla anyway?

As a free game, you really cant knock it. It plays flawlessly, running from a browser window doesnt bother me at all and the option of full screen is a handy bonus.

Its a shame I cant play this at work though, our internet-enabled computers have some proprietary(sp) frontend rubbish on which shells the whole OS and locks out every function possible to block any dodgy going ons including plugins/java etc.. Nevermind though..

23. Re: QUAKE LIVE Open Beta Next Week Feb 21, 2009, 02:54 Jerykk

Quake 2 is the least favorite game amongst competitive Quake players. The game simply had too many rapid-fire weapons and lacked the speed of Q1. I think both Q1 and Q3 were much better than Q2.  

22. Re: QUAKE LIVE Open Beta Next Week Feb 20, 2009, 23:55 Animals for Crackers

Q3 was a good game but IMHO there has never and will never be a better shooter then Quake 2.

Q2 railgun > everything in existence

21. Re: QUAKE LIVE Open Beta Next Week Feb 20, 2009, 23:25 Beamer

The point is nit wits like you can click OK and be playing in 30 seconds. Then in the future its just as easy as going to a web page to play. Its compatible with anything that can view a web-page also in any OS.

Grow a pair.

You come across as an idiot. Really, the point is "nitwits" can play in 30 seconds? How long does it take to launch Q3 on a modern computer? With a full server browser?

I'm pretty sure it IS a browser based game. My girlfriends PC is an awful and old piece of shit that struggles with the most basic 3d games from the '90's and it can play Quake Live no problem. Further, its just a plug-in that gets installed, not a full game-type install. Graphically it isn't up to par with the original but its good enough.

That doesn't really make sense.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: QUAKE LIVE Open Beta Next Week Feb 20, 2009, 22:03 Fion

No modding bites. I'd like it to at least support pre-existing mods (there's been some great ones over the years.) Also support for pre-existing maps would be nice too.

Above all else, I'd like to see them do this with Quake 2 with support for Lithium 2 or at the very least, threewave CTF!

Anyone ever load up these two games anymore? Wonder how many are still playing? Q3 was a good game but IMHO there has never and will never be a better shooter then Quake 2. I used to rape playing Lithium

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 2009, 22:03.

19. Re: QUAKE LIVE Open Beta Next Week Feb 20, 2009, 20:31 Hump

Can you play on existing Quake 3 servers?
No
Can you mod it?
No
Can you customise graphics/input/sound/rendering options?
somewhat
Does it support UPnP/NAT traversal/proxies?
huh?
Does it let you record demos, watch demos or spectate games?
spectate, yes, the rest? Not sure.
I have a hard time believing Quake Live was worth developing, but I'm open to enlightenment. I just don't see why you'd want to play it over normal Quake 3?
First and foremost, its free. That makes it worth playing right there. The game tracks stats and closely matches your skills with other players so you get (hopefully) an optimal playing experience.

Much like the music industry the whole way of doing business for PC games is changing and this is one way they're trying to address that. I forget how they're going to monetize this but iD is a bright bunch so I'm sure it'll be an interesting experiment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

18. Re: QUAKE LIVE Open Beta Next Week Feb 20, 2009, 19:18 Zzet

Can you play on existing Quake 3 servers?
Can you mod it?
Can you customise graphics/input/sound/rendering options?
Does it support UPnP/NAT traversal/proxies?
Does it let you record demos, watch demos or spectate games?

I have a hard time believing Quake Live was worth developing, but I'm open to enlightenment. I just don't see why you'd want to play it over normal Quake 3?

17. Re: QUAKE LIVE Open Beta Next Week Feb 20, 2009, 18:50 elefunk

Just to clarify for some people, with an alternative example of a similar game:

Quake Live: Install browser plugin, play directly within the browser window (or expand to full screen)

Battlefield Heroes: This game, alternatively, doesn't run directly within a browser window. Rather, you launch it from a browser and it runs a separate executable installed to your computer.

16. Re: QUAKE LIVE Open Beta Next Week Feb 20, 2009, 18:39 Frijoles

I really like it. It's turned in to a lunch game for me. I can pop in and out very quickly. The bot has been pretty good at matching my skill level, but that's just because it speeds up or slows down, or the accuracy improves (the AI isn't any better that's I've noticed). I spend most of my time in games with other players though.  

15. Re: QUAKE LIVE Open Beta Next Week Feb 20, 2009, 18:37 MindStalkerReturned

Are you sure? Quake 3 would play on sub 1Ghz machines easily, it only needed the most primitive 3d cards.

Your girlfriend uses a sub 1Ghz machine and you haven't bought her a new one? You should be ashamed..

14. Re: QUAKE LIVE Open Beta Next Week Feb 20, 2009, 18:36 Yakumo

Frijoles: runs fullscreen here as soon as I start a game.
If for any reason it doesn't left alt+enter toggles it.

13. Re: QUAKE LIVE Open Beta Next Week Feb 20, 2009, 18:23 Hump

That's what I've heard others say. It's not a browser game, it's a game launched from a browser. Big whoop?

I'm pretty sure it IS a browser based game. My girlfriends PC is an awful and old piece of shit that struggles with the most basic 3d games from the '90's and it can play Quake Live no problem. Further, its just a plug-in that gets installed, not a full game-type install. Graphically it isn't up to par with the original but its good enough.

The skill match system is great. I can go in and play a game and be competitive and not get completely owned by a bunch of pros who are having practice for their next sponsored match. I think it'll do quite well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

12. Re: QUAKE LIVE Open Beta Next Week Feb 20, 2009, 18:21 [VG]Reagle

The point is nit wits like you can click OK and be playing in 30 seconds. Then in the future its just as easy as going to a web page to play. Its compatible with anything that can view a web-page also in any OS.

Grow a pair.

The First Newell
Gabe's Watching
[VG]Reagle Beagle

11. Re: QUAKE LIVE Open Beta Next Week Feb 20, 2009, 18:18 Beamer

Also, it won't launch in-browser for me, so I have to play full screen. Which is better.

So basically, for me, it's Q3 with no gore and with a new web based server browser that's lacking any features I'd want.

And I still dig it.

-------------

10. Re: QUAKE LIVE Open Beta Next Week Feb 20, 2009, 18:18 CreamyBlood

The plugin downloads fast. You can access the game from any computer and play. I think that's the point.

They did remove the gibs, which annoyed me but I got over it quick. I wish there was an option to turn the gore on but I can live without it.

I used to be a Q3 addict and I thought I'd just login once in awhile to warm up before going off to play something else. But I often find myself playing all night. I think it's a lot of fun.

9. Re: QUAKE LIVE Open Beta Next Week Feb 20, 2009, 18:17 Beamer

If you have to download a plugin, what's the point of doing it in the browser at all?

That's what I've heard others say. It's not a browser game, it's a game launched from a browser. Big whoop?

I'm in it. Fun, but the skill matching blows. It will tell you a server is much below you, but people will rock you. Either I'm very inconsistent (possible), or I've gotten old, now suck, and everyone goes into servers below their skill level to dominate.
I'm having more fun than I did with Q3 when it came out, which makes sense as I really eagerly awaited it but ended up spending vastly more time with CS and UT. But there's some massive nostalgia here and I think I appreciate some of the game more now than I did then.

-------------

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo