Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Free UT3 Titan Pack Next Month

March 5 is the planned release date for the planned Titan Pack for Unreal Tournament III, a large free update for Epic's first-person shooter that's coming to PC and PlayStation 3, but looks like it will not be coming to the Xbox 360 due to download limitations (even though it's considerably smaller than the new GTA4 pack). There are new previews of the pack on BeyondUnreal, Big Download, The Escapist, IGN, and Planet Unreal with details, hands-on impressions, and screenshots of the new gameplay modes and 16 new maps the add-on will include. Here's a bulleted feature list from Planet Unreal outlining the contents of the pack:

• 16 environments – four Warfare, three vCTF, six Deathmatch, and three CTF maps – that are new to the PC and PS3 versions
        • Three bonus pack maps, CTF-Face, CTF-Searchlight and DM-Morbias
        • The namesake Titan mutator, which lets players overwhelm opponents as a 15 foot tall titan, or crush them as a 30 foot tall Behemoth
        • Greed and Betrayal, two gametypes that breed new-found fervor throughout the competitive UT3 arena
        • Two powerful weapons, the Stinger Turret and Eradicator Cannon artillery
        • Two valuable deployables, the X-Ray Field and Link Station
        • The Slow Field power-up, a portable version of the Slow Field deployable
        • Stealthbender, a new vehicle that carries two spidermine trap deployables, one EMP mine, and one each of the new Link Station and X-Ray Field deployables
        • Two new characters, Nova and Kana
        • 57 awards attainable as Steam Achievements and PS3 Trophies
        • Broad improvements for PC and PS3: Significant AI enhancements, especially in vehicle gametypes; networking performance upgrades; greatly improved menu flow and UI usability; better mod support
        • Client-side demo recording, highly improved Server Browser, a new maplist system, plus mid-game mutator and gametype voting functionality for PC
        • High demand PS3 features including PS3 Trophy support, two-player split-screen support, and mod browsing

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Free UT3 Titan Pack Next Month Feb 19, 2009, 17:45 DangerDog

I don't know why people are so bent on saying how something sucks without even seeing it.

Maybe people were expecting too much, all this pack does is pile on more content for a game that gamers, on the whole, aren't too interested in playing. The problems with UT3 are much deeper than just a tweak to the UI and a few extra maps can fix.

Personally, I found the art design to be a turn off - too dark, too Asian, and too bulky. They lost the sleek Sci-Fi feel from UT99 along the way. Aside from the hoverboard the vehicles aren't all that fun - having almost everything 3rd person view is too arcadish for my taste, and the physics and handling are lacking.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Free UT3 Titan Pack Next Month Feb 19, 2009, 17:03 theyarecomingforyou

Exactly. I figured the game was dead and buried but it turns out they want to update it and add new content for free. I can't complain about that, particularly when the game had so much potential. Hopefully they'll come closer to realising it, though I'm not hopeful the changes will be drastic enough. The Titan mutator sounds like a terrible idea and there was never a shortage of levels or characters.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

32. You haven't seen it yet.. Feb 19, 2009, 16:59 shul

I don't know why people are so bent on saying how something sucks without even seeing it. It's not like epic owed anyone anything, there was even a demo for UT3, so you can't say "I downloaded it illegaly to act as a demo", it answers all the basic UT series requirements and now you get a whole lot of more content to go with it. So cliffy may be bored, epic may want to revive the franchise or they just want to make us feel good, why does it matter?
If you don't want to play, don't. just please shut up because all of this whining is very very bothering.

</rant>

31. Re: Free UT3 Titan Pack Next Month Feb 19, 2009, 16:37 Free Mumra

I think a better name for this update would be the "Fudge Pack".  

30. Re: Free UT3 Titan Pack Next Month Feb 19, 2009, 16:15 Brainp0wa

I also call BS on "will not be coming to the Xbox 360 due to download limitations". C'mon, what's the real reason? That exclusive contract biting yall in the rear again?  

29. Re: Free UT3 Titan Pack Next Month Feb 19, 2009, 14:26 tuddies

Why would I put STEAM on my PC when I don't need it or want it?

If steam would decouple their games from the online service, that would be great!

28. Re: Free UT3 Titan Pack Next Month Feb 19, 2009, 14:09 Caveman

I hope this game revitalizes the community, because I kinda like UT3 but never play it cause there's no decent servers.  

27. Re: Free UT3 Titan Pack Next Month Feb 19, 2009, 13:45 Prez

@Prez

And I thought I went out to look for stuff to bitch about.

Steam or the existing DRM. = No DVD check to play SP or MP
Steam or the existing DRM. = Still need key to play online

Basically what i'm saying is there is no difference.

Steam just allows you to download it when you reload your computer instead of whipping out the DVD as well as automatic updates. I see no reason why anyone would not bind their retail version with steam. Hell, I wish you could do this with every game you can buy retail & on steam.

I wasn't bitching. Hell, I received my copy and immediately registered it via Steam! I was marveling at Steam, not complaining about it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: Free UT3 Titan Pack Next Month Feb 19, 2009, 13:38 DangerDog

Of course once you register your cd-key on Steam it'll be tied to your Steam account, so you can't resell it as a used copy - but with the game regularly priced at $10 it's not like you would be able to sell a used copy anyway.  

25. Re: Free UT3 Titan Pack Next Month Feb 19, 2009, 13:29 necrosis

@Prez

And I thought I went out to look for stuff to bitch about.

Steam or the existing DRM. = No DVD check to play SP or MP
Steam or the existing DRM. = Still need key to play online

Basically what i'm saying is there is no difference.

Steam just allows you to download it when you reload your computer instead of whipping out the DVD as well as automatic updates. I see no reason why anyone would not bind their retail version with steam. Hell, I wish you could do this with every game you can buy retail & on steam.

24. Re: Free UT3 Titan Pack Next Month Feb 19, 2009, 12:58 Prez

All that means is that if you CHOOSE to register it with Steam, you'll get automatic downloads/updates, and the achievements. If you don't register, you have to download updates manually, and of course there are no Steam achievements.

Alrighty then. I stand corrected apparently.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: Free UT3 Titan Pack Next Month Feb 19, 2009, 12:41 Ichi

WOW, nice update. A reason to play the game again!  

22. Re: Free UT3 Titan Pack Next Month Feb 19, 2009, 12:29 4D-Boxing

I play UT3 on regular basis (DM only) & a few server admins who could not go into details because of an NDA or something like that said that changes seemed major. From the weapons to the GUI or UI..everything is supposed to be allot better.

I tend to trust these comments snce they come from the most hardcore UT3 players...

For the right price I can give CliffyB a few pointers on how to make this title even better lol...

21. Re: Free UT3 Titan Pack Next Month Feb 19, 2009, 12:22 StreetPreacher

All that means is that if you CHOOSE to register it with Steam, you'll get automatic downloads/updates, and the achievements. If you don't register, you have to download updates manually, and of course there are no Steam achievements.  

20. Re: Free UT3 Titan Pack Next Month Feb 19, 2009, 12:01 Prez

Really? I thought the update was going to be Steam-only. About a month ago, the story on Blues said as much.

EDIT: How would you interpret this update:

In preparation for the massive update coming for Unreal Tournament 3, those who own a retail copy may now register it with Steam, free of charge.

The latest installment in the legendary online action series from Epic will be updated automatically via Steam and introduce support for Steamworks Achievements (with over 50 Achievements), plus a host of new features and enhancements in AI, Server Browsing, Demo Recording, Mod Support, and more.

To register your retail copy on Steam, simply click the main menu option 'Games' and select 'Activate a product on Steam' from within the Steam client.

That's taken from www.steampowered.com

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2009, 12:05.

- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Free UT3 Titan Pack Next Month Feb 19, 2009, 11:59 StreetPreacher

Maybe the reason nobody is complaining about a Steam requirement is because THERE ISN'T ONE.  

18. Re: Free UT3 Titan Pack Next Month Feb 19, 2009, 11:53 Prez

I like how they basically have instituted new DRM into UT3 by requiring Steam for the update, and yet there is very little outcry. The combination of clever maneuvering and the near-universal acceptance of Steam have resulted in there being next to nothing as far as complaints go.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2009, 11:54.

- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: Free UT3 Titan Pack Next Month Feb 19, 2009, 11:47 Kxmode

But Epic hates PC gaming. They said so! What's going on?  

16. Re: Free UT3 Titan Pack Next Month Feb 19, 2009, 11:38 kimbambaman

Man that's a huge update. I might just have to dig out my disk and install it again. Nicely done Epic!  
"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

15. Re: Free UT3 Titan Pack Next Month Feb 19, 2009, 11:12 shul

Cool. I bought it just for this. Current situation of UT3 is very bad.. no one plays on line, its all very sad since this is a great platform.. two years old and still have some gr8 graphics compared to modern games + gr8 performance.

Its a shame they didn't get the linux client out as they said they would. I wonder if midway had anything to do with that?

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo