Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Intel Sues NVIDIA

Intel filed a lawsuit against NVIDIA last night, reports bit-tech.net, saying the CPU giant is suing the GPU giant over NVIDIA's license to create motherboard chipsets, alleging their agreement does not cover current and future Intel CPUs, including the Nehalem family. The report states NVIDIA claims this filing does not impact any of their currently shipping products.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Intel Sues NVIDIA Feb 19, 2009, 01:56 PHJF

Intel chipset motherboards generally overclock better and have less bugs/compatibility than nForce motherboards anyways. The only caveat has been that you cannot get SLI on Intel boards, the new X58 being the first to offer it.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Intel Sues NVIDIA Feb 19, 2009, 01:33 swaaye

To hell with Intel's greedy ways. I will from now on NEVER buy an intel product. Why is it so hard for them to understand that the CPU needs the GPU and the GPU needs the CPU. If you utilize both and each are good, you have one hell of a product.

Looks like I'll be going back to AMD chips again. I loved my Athlon XP.

This sort of sentiment entertains me. Uhhh, Intel is a company and companies compete with each other. They aren't around to spread happy warm fuzzy feelings to one another. BTW, you as a consumer are the least likely target for reward from them. Don't go giving big corps your loyalty unless you are on salary there. Be a smart consumer and spend your money for your own direct personal gain (best product for you and your $$).

NV, AMD, VIA, and even say Toys R Us (totally) would love to be merciless too, but they can't get their act together well enough to actually beat Intel at the game. I'm sure Intel just screws around with the competition half of the time. They can't really just bury AMD (or buy them) cuz The Law would come into play and call them a monopoly. So we get little games instead.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2009, 01:42.

24. Re: Intel Sues NVIDIA Feb 19, 2009, 01:27 swaaye

Nvidia should have kept selling soundcard chips. Their soundstorm was WAY ahead of its time with its dolby digital live feature. Its only now (like 8 or 10 years later?) that lazy greedy Creative is integrating that feature into its latest line of sound cards that its trying to push people into upgrading.

NVIDIA only did "Soundstorm" because they made the tech for the Xbox. To get more return on that R&D investment, they gave it a shot on PC and it basically bombed because the taiwanese mobo vendors won't pay for good audio chips (because end users don't care to pay for it generally).

And yeah, DDLive is only cool if you need to hook up to a receiver and don't want to bother with the 5.1 analog inputs that will sound better (AC3 is lossy). Analog audio from a Soundstorm mobo almost always sucks because of how bad the signal quality is off of the mobo. And oh by the way NVIDIA's driver support for NVAPU (soundstorm) sucked ass enough for a friend of mine to give up on it and get Audigy 2.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2009, 01:30.

23. Re: Intel Sues NVIDIA Feb 18, 2009, 18:32 dubfanatic

I might actually switch over to ATI simply because the 4850 is available in fanless from gigabyte.

I have this card. So far I'm pleased with it, though it has highlighted my case's crowding and poor airflow.

22. Re: Intel Sues NVIDIA Feb 18, 2009, 16:48 Kxmode

including the Nehalem Nihilism family

Fixed that.

21. Basically Feb 18, 2009, 16:46 Creston

Intel's profits are down, panic, need more money, let's gouge Nvidia by making some shit up that even though they have a license to make chipsets for all our processors, the Nehalem is SUPER SPECIAL and they need to pay us more money.

Fuck Intel.

Creston

20. Re: Intel Sues NVIDIA Feb 18, 2009, 14:55 Bludd

I think there was a Steam survey that said only 1% of users are running SLI. So most gamers could care less if nvidia stops making mobo chipsets.

You can get mobos with Intel chipsets (X58) that are both certified for SLI and Crossfire.

19. Re: Intel Sues NVIDIA Feb 18, 2009, 14:39 Karnisov

I think there was a Steam survey that said only 1% of users are running SLI. So most gamers could care less if nvidia stops making mobo chipsets. What I'd really like to see is more resources put toward silent gpus. The fan on my 7950gt is hella loud and annoying. I might actually switch over to ATI simply because the 4850 is available in fanless from gigabyte.  
"Think for yourself. Question authority."
-- Timothy Leary

18. Re: Intel Sues NVIDIA Feb 18, 2009, 14:31 DG

In other news, AMD/ATI is reported to be very pleased.
not necessarily, nvidia takes some money away from intel.

Some consumers may go AMD rather than Intel just to get a Nvidia board, but I think Nvidia would just exit the chipset business.

OK, if Nvidia goes down the pan AMD owns the gaming market, and everywhere else graphics is important. However more likely Intel would buy up Nvidia at some point (or at least buy some IP and grab some engineers). That leaves AMD facing either their video card business suddenly having a competitor with vastly more money, or Intel stopping supporting AMD video cards leaving consumers choosing between an Intel or AMD PC.

Nvidia did quite a lot to shake up chipsets in a way that favoured the consumer, particularly enthusiasts and gamers. If they exit the business both AMD and Intel have less reason to continue to provide those features.

The short term view for us consumers is we'll have less choice in chipsets. The long term view looks worse.

On the other hand Intel is probably just pressing to get a higher royalty fee.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2009, 14:32.

17. Re: Intel Sues NVIDIA Feb 18, 2009, 14:14 4D-Boxing

Nforce boards are great as long as you did not try to oinstall vista PSC with a raid 0 setup. OR even better the same setup with 4 gigs of ram?!?! Nasty experience if you do not know what to expect.

it would also be nice to have had solid 780i boards... None of that remove half your hardware flash the bios & hope it recognizes your ram or sound card stuff.

I jsut hope that the next Nforce board can use SLI without loosing access to the PCIe 1X slots. move them around so they are not covered by the video cards..yeah the & make sure the middle 16x slot (3rd one) will work with all PCIe 1x sound cards.

16. Re: Intel Sues NVIDIA Feb 18, 2009, 14:08 Icewind

Wow, and I thought these two got along quite well. Hasn't it always been Intel CPU+Nvidia Card and AMD CPU+ATI Card?

For what it's worth, I love nforce boards. Always had problems with VIA and Asus, but the 3 nforce boards I had were flawless. Well, except for a northbridge fan going south that I had to replace.

15. Re: Intel Sues NVIDIA Feb 18, 2009, 13:13 Brett Flannigan

In other news, AMD/ATI is reported to be very pleased.  

14. Re: Intel Sues NVIDIA Feb 18, 2009, 13:02 Hoop

Intel have moved from fighting talk to HIT THE RED PANIC BUTTON!

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2009, 13:02.

Um .. Behind you...

13. Re: Intel Sues NVIDIA Feb 18, 2009, 13:02 dryden555

We _all_ lose if Nvidia sinks. Less competition with chipsets, GPUs and more.

That only means higher retail prices and slower-to-arrive innovations for us.

12. Re: Intel Sues NVIDIA Feb 18, 2009, 12:53 DangerDog

Intel is just upset that with the economic depression we're in it means they don't have the money to buy up NVIDIA.

Still waiting on Intel's much talked about entry into the high-end GPU space.

11. Re: Weekend Sales Feb 18, 2009, 12:26 Wikidd

Dolby digital live allows you to play both movies and games in surround mode on a single Digital cable. Currently I must have 4 cables (3 analog cables for surround game sound, 1 digital optical cable for AC3 movie sound) because of the lack of that feature in my X-Fi platinum. Its also impossible for me to get digital surround sound in games.
DD Live encodes a 5.1 analogue signal into a DD 5.1 signal for transport over an S/PDIF cable; you actually get better sound quality from the analogue cables because DD is a lossy codec. I doubt the DD Live encoding process would come free in terms of performance either, even if it was mostly done on the sound card.

10. Re: Intel Sues NVIDIA Feb 18, 2009, 12:19 Mead

So what if it's at least conceivable that Nvidia may have overstepped their contract terms, f*ck Intel! F*ck them in the pooper!  

9. Re: Weekend Sales Feb 18, 2009, 11:50 Dev

Bludd: I disagree strongly.
Nvidia should have kept selling soundcard chips. Their soundstorm was WAY ahead of its time with its dolby digital live feature. Its only now (like 8 or 10 years later?) that lazy greedy Creative is integrating that feature into its latest line of sound cards that its trying to push people into upgrading. Heck, that feature is probably software upgradable, creative hasn't changed its main sound chip processor much in years. In fact, that was one of the things that creative bragged about when they introduced it way back in the Live! days, that they would release features through software that would upgrade your soundcard since the sound chip was so powerful and programmable.
AHHAHAHAHAHAAHA. That NEVER happened. They've always required you to buy a new sound card (generally at $100+) in each generation to get new features.

Dolby digital live allows you to play both movies and games in surround mode on a single Digital cable. Currently I must have 4 cables (3 analog cables for surround game sound, 1 digital optical cable for AC3 movie sound) because of the lack of that feature in my X-Fi platinum. Its also impossible for me to get digital surround sound in games.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2009, 11:52.

8. Re: Intel Sues NVIDIA Feb 18, 2009, 11:39 SirKnight

To hell with Intel's greedy ways. I will from now on NEVER buy an intel product. Why is it so hard for them to understand that the CPU needs the GPU and the GPU needs the CPU. If you utilize both and each are good, you have one hell of a product.

Looks like I'll be going back to AMD chips again. I loved my Athlon XP.

7. Re: Intel Sues NVIDIA Feb 18, 2009, 11:04 Bludd

nvidia should just stick with GPUs.  

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo