Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On TF2 Changes

A post on the Team Fortress 2 Website by Valve's Robin Walker offers further explanation of the changes made to Sticky Bombs in yesterday's Team Fortress 2 patch. The explanation entails how damage is calculated and the complications of the Sticky Bomb code (complete with a graph for board meeting fans), and why they feel balance is now better served: "Why did we do this? We didn't think that the Demoman was overpowered at medium & long ranges, where the charge up time provides an existing penalty. If we did a straight damage reduction across the board, we would affect that. In addition, by weakening the Demoman specifically at short range, we've created a weakness that enemies can take advantage of in combat, and makes the Demoman wary of specific enemy classes (like the Scout and Pyro)."

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: On TF2 Changes Feb 18, 2009, 19:33 ViRGE

Demo defensive? Is that a joke?
Well it is in the Defensive class on the character selection screen...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: On TF2 Changes Feb 18, 2009, 10:16 PHJF

Demo defensive? Is that a joke?

The demo is the only anti-sentrygun class. Hardly what I'd call defensive.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

7. Re: On TF2 Changes Feb 18, 2009, 09:45 Jow

Also, I swear the grenade launcher damage is bugged, everytime it direct hits me, even when it's a no crit, it kills me in one shot.

I've been bitchin about that for a while. I've rarely had that happen vs. soldiers but against demos it happens all the time.

6. Re: On TF2 Changes Feb 18, 2009, 01:25 n0slet

Yeah glad to hear they did this, been needing it for awhile imo. These guys aren't meant to be played on the front line pushing forward, they are a defensive class. And most demomen wound up playing offensively because of this. There is a reason they're under the defensive class tab. Their meant to be used as an area denial class. Not a run and gun offensive class. Basically all their stickies were before was a rocket launcher where you could detonate the missle in mid air. Was ridiculously overpowered. The GL was meant to be their primary but most demos you see in public games barely touched it because of this. So glad to see they finally got hit with the nerf bat.  

5. Re: On TF2 Changes Feb 18, 2009, 00:43 Free Mumra

The grenade launcher could use a boost now. Maybe revert it to what it was in beta. If I remember correctly, the grenades exploded on the second bounce. That made them much better in close quarters combat.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2009, 00:45.

4. Re: On TF2 Changes Feb 18, 2009, 00:23 Karnisov

sticky bombs don't hold up under an organized rush. you get the first 1 maybe 2 people then they are on you. post-nerf demo is half a player, imo.  
"Think for yourself. Question authority."
-- Timothy Leary

3. Re: On TF2 Changes Feb 18, 2009, 00:16 dubfanatic

IMO they went overboard. Now the only viable counter to a charging demo or scout is the nade launcher, which has a much higher learning curve (and skill ceiling). A noob W+M1 pyro can easily kill even an average pub demo, which doesn't seem very balanced to me.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2009, 00:16.

2. Re: On TF2 Changes Feb 17, 2009, 21:15 theyarecomingforyou

Stickies at close range always annoyed me so I'm glad of the reduction.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

1. Re: On TF2 Changes Feb 17, 2009, 20:56 Caveman

I'm so glad the demoman was nerfed...the sticky launcher is just too damn overpowered, I don't know what Valve were thinking with that, it's the only class with 2 primaries.

And the most common rebuttal I hear to this is "well the demoman is the only class that doesn't use bullets", while that may be true, the ability to spam stickies and detonate right away is far more powerful than the average shotgun most classes carry, you basically have an asssault gun with exploding ammo. You can also launch yourself further than the soldier and your crits are automatically kill on every class except the heavy when overhealed.

Also, I swear the grenade launcher damage is bugged, everytime it direct hits me, even when it's a no crit, it kills me in one shot.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo