Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Game Reviews Feb 18, 2009, 23:17 eRe4s3r

Well here's waiting for fear 3 ;p I'm curious how the story continues after all

Thanks for the hint with the alma decyphered topic! I didn't even think of looking for something like that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Game Reviews Feb 18, 2009, 12:25 Creston

More secret text!

Ack, i hope you are wrong, because i definitely rather take the apocalypse than killing alma (atleast the 2 cute versions) ;

Well, at some point you're probably going to have to kill her. Storywise the idea that Alma would just be out there would eventually lead to the total extinction of the human race, since she can't control her hatred.
Unless, ofcourse, they come up with some "point-man rejoins alma and they both find peace" storyline. Which would work too.

Mhh but you have a good point, i wish the dialog alma says would have been subtitled, because with all the crap happening everytime she says something i miss 99% of it, including the intel at the end with the kinetic info (darn it!)

There is a thread on the projectorigin spoiler forums called "decypher Alma's lines" or something. They unpacked all her wave files and have listened to her lines, so they've made some pretty good headway into identifying all her comments in-game.

Now i guess you have explained everything pretty well, still i hope you are wrong ,p Speaking of wrong, why did alma kill the chair-mutant thing where you first encounter the replicas of armacham (in those pods coming from the floor?) Was it to punish him for attacking you? Or was it for something else? And who activates them in that cellar? Alma? Why?

Yeah it's for attacking you. You'll notice that she lends you a hand multiple times throughout the game. When you're caught in the T.A.C. room, one of the Armacham soldiers hits the tube you're in, and almost immediately Alma comes out and murders the two of them. I THINK she says "Beckett must not die!" at that point.

The replicas in that area were activated by the commander, who was in turn activated by Colonel Vanek.

Mhh i don't know, somehow i got all kind of friendly vibes from alma, she didn't seem like a monster and it felt more like she was protecting you than trying to mind rape you or kill you, except of course where she tried to mind rape and kill you. Heh

She IS protecting you, at least to the extent that she's protecting you from getting killed, because she wants to absorb you. Snakefist isn't lying about that, she attacks you several times herself and you die if you don't defend yourself. I wonder if the end-rape is symbolic for her trying to absorb you, or more of a union. I think it's a union kind of thing, but I could be wrong.

Btw, at some point, Alma actually says. I know. I know what I am. Which to me seems to indicate that she does have some remorse over all the killing she has done. Which in turn leads me to think Fear 3 will have some form of redemption ending.

And I think you're wrong about monolith not really knowing. There are enough subtle clues and little hints that show that whoever was the main writer for this story knows EXACTLY what he's doing and where it's going.

Ofcourse, if Monolith had had the rights to the FEAR title from the start, this game would have probably seen you play as the point-man too, but since they didn't, and they couldn't call it FEAR2, they probably decided that having the lead character from FEAR show up in a game not called FEAR2 might just confuse people.

Creston

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2009, 12:28.

14. Re: Game Reviews Feb 18, 2009, 04:57 eRe4s3r

Even more secret text

Ack, i hope you are wrong, because i definitely rather take the apocalypse than killing alma (atleast the 2 cute versions) ;p

Mhh but you have a good point, i wish the dialog alma says would have been subtitled, because with all the crap happening everytime she says something i miss 99% of it, including the intel at the end with the kinetic info (darn it!)

Now i guess you have explained everything pretty well, still i hope you are wrong ,p Speaking of wrong, why did alma kill the chair-mutant thing where you first encounter the replicas of armacham (in those pods coming from the floor?) Was it to punish him for attacking you? Or was it for something else? And who activates them in that cellar? Alma? Why?

Mhh i don't know, somehow i got all kind of friendly vibes from alma, she didn't seem like a monster and it felt more like she was protecting you than trying to mind rape you or kill you, except of course where she tried to mind rape and kill you. Heh

Or maybe we are both interpreting too much into this and monolith didn't know either ,p

Ah, coming full circle here, at the end, that battle was INSIDE alma's mind? But what was the counter there at the wall, it counted pretty fast upwards. Could that be an indication that MUCH more time passed inside that chamber than outside? And what does that mean, im confused heh

Well honestly, as a game i'd rate fear only like 7.5/10 , just rated on feeling, for story i'd give a 10, but with this story they also made the game much less creepier than could have been. Still with your explainations it makes alot more sense, but i'd still rather fight as alma's child against armacham than as Becket 2.0 against alma and armacham, maybe they do that with an expansion

13. Re: Game Reviews Feb 18, 2009, 01:52 Creston

More secret text :

I would imagine that in FEAR 3 you're actually sent AFTER Alma & Beckett's child. A lot of people miss this one, but there is a line in the game where Snakefist says "Who is Alma? She is the Mother of the Apocalypse!"

Now, you can take that metaphorically, and say Alma is One Giant Badass.
OR, you can take it literally, and thus Alma is the MOMMY of the one who will bring devastation to the entire world. Personally I'm in the latter camp. That line is too well placed in the game for it to just be an allegory to the fact that Alma is bad.

I also wouldn't say that Alma is allied with us as in the good guys. I think it's pretty clear in the end that Beckett joins Alma, not the other way around. Whether he actually still exists as an entity or not is hard to say, though I do think he does since he activated the amplifier and thus should be at an almost equal level to Alma.

Also, with regards to Aristide wanting to seal beckett and Alma in together, note that she TURNS OFF the Amplifier in order to be able to do so. She even explains it. Turn off the amplifier, then Beckett has no chance to resist Alma, she will devour him but will be in the cage, and Aristide has her leverage.

However, while she initiates this plan, Beckett actually reaches outside the cage and turns the amplifier BACK ON. I think it's Beckett who actually opens the cage at the end, not Alma.

Even so, there is a bit of Intel right before the amplifier itself that states "The cage is only for level 4 or below, it will NOT hold a level 5 telestenic (?)."
I think it's a fairly sure bet that Alma is a level 5, since she is the most powerful one they've ever had, so any scale would be calibrated with her at the top.

And then there's another piece of Intel you can find somewhere where Snakefist (it may even be the cutscene when you enter the lab under the elementary school) says that Aristide is insane, that HER SCENARIO (ie, entrap Alma by using Beckett as bait) only has a 3% chance of working, and that there is 84% chance of CATASTROPHIC SIDE EFFECTS.

I'd say Beckett and Alma, both equally powerful at that point, having a baby is probably a fairly catastrophic side effect

My guess is Fear3 starts you as point man (from Fear 1), going after Alma, Beckett and Baby Dearest once and for all. Might make for a cool endbattle against Beckett, since you're both pretty 'ard.

As for the joinings, it's hard to make out, but Alma actually says things to each Harbinger member while she's killing them. To griffin she says "I liked you" just before wiping him out. She's trying to merge/rape with any one of them, however some of them aren't strong enough, and others don't want to have anything to do with her (Griffin). Beckett is really not given a choice at the end ofcourse. She basically takes what she wants from him while his mind is fighting Keegan AND trying to reactive the amplifier.

I thought it was a pretty cool ending.

12. Re: Game Reviews Feb 17, 2009, 23:55 eRe4s3r

Ah, thanks. But what exactly does that make Fear 3 ^^ secret -> , i just don't get it, with this Alma is pretty much allied with us now, and theres still the board of directors from armacham on the loose. I just don't get how that translates into fear 3. At best they could let us play as the child 20 or 40 years later (time runs faster with alma it seems, see the time counter in the dream-fight chamber scene)

But even then while we are now as powerful as alma, we also were imprisoned for quiet a while, didn't aristice say something like "to seal you both in forever?"

What was the hell scene at the end, alma's mind?
What where the "ghost shadows" near the still-waters access point, where you walk near ground zero?

Anyhow i totally agree, i was always more sympathetic to alma, and who wouldn't be, at the end it shows her father was real SOB and technically she's only in it for revenge, and i can concur with that goal 100%

Even funnier, she killed nearly everyone who wanted to "join" with her, notice that everyone of the guys she killed was in project harbinger as well? That means everyone there had at least some abilities to counter alma. And thus her saying when she killed the squads chief "I hate you" because he tried stopped YOU from joining with alma (and said "shes mine").

Anyhow the story of fear 3 is definitely great, and the end section with the credits was one of the nicest graphic effects i have seen in a while.

11. Re: Game Reviews Feb 17, 2009, 22:02 Creston

After you see the end, i'd be curious to hear what you make of it, it left me quite confused ;/

I just finished it, it seemed fairly clear to me. I'll put it in secret text (mousedrag over the area below to see it)

Aristide locks you in the Telestenic (?) chamber without actually powering it up, so while you are fighting Keegan to get the chamber powered back up, I'm pretty damn sure that Alma is (urk...) having sex with you. I'd guess that's more of a mental thing than anything, but her movements and grunts/groans seem to indicate that to me. In her mind she might see it as actually physically having sex, but what's probably happening is that she is attuning her mind to yours. (or vice versa)

Once you've killed Keegan and have activated the amplifier, according to Snakefist you are essentially just as powerful as Alma. However, rather than (trying to) destroy her, it seems you join her in a union (name of act 7). You can cleary see she's pregnant, obviously with your kid, and she lets you touch it like she would the father.

Where that will go, I have no idea. I'm guessing a Fear 3 or an expansion where you play as that baby or something?

It seemed fairly straightforward to me. The only thing I kind of dislike about FEAR is that I always feel far more sympathetic to Alma than to anyone else. The scene at the end where Harlan Wade orders the troops to take his 8 year old daughter "Back to the vault!" and she cries and screams, jeez. I wish that old fucker was still alive so I could put a fucking bullet in him.

It would have been cool if there had been an option to fight her or to join her, with two corresponding endings.

All in all, I really enjoyed it, except for the Tram to Still Island part. Yes, fun, let's have 900,000 replica soldiers attack you from all sides without an area of decent cover. Joy...

I'll definitely buy the next chapter, which I hope there will be. I love the story.

Creston

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 2009, 22:03.

10. Re: Game Reviews Feb 17, 2009, 18:39 Bone43

Killzone 2 lets you lean, except you have to snap to cover before you can do it.

Kind of like tears of bore. There no place in PC games for snap to cover thats why theres a keyboard.

Finished the game the ending was like WTF?

It was worth playing its just to bad there is so much console influence in the game but I F.E.A.R. we are going to see much more of that in the future.

9. Re: Game Reviews Feb 17, 2009, 17:27 Jerykk

I still cant figure out why they cant make console games that have the ability to lean around corners?

Killzone 2 lets you lean, except you have to snap to cover before you can do it.

8. Re: Game Reviews Feb 17, 2009, 16:12 Bone43

Sad really one of my all time favorites shooters goes the way of every game these days console first PC as an after thought.

I still cant figure out why they cant make console games that have the ability to lean around corners?

7. Re: Game Reviews Feb 17, 2009, 14:03 Scottish Martial Arts

The biggest problem with FEAR 2 is the lack of dedicated server files for multiplayer. Right now, you're entirely dependent upon crappy listen servers, which is too bad because multiplayer is actually pretty fun. Overall, I really like the game even if it isn't really an improvement on the first, but unfortunately it's wrapped up in one of the worst port jobs I've ever purchased. The interface is an absolute mess -- you have to wade through 6 sub menus to get from the main menu to where you can actually join a (listen) server. Meh, hopefully they'll fix it, because I think there is actually a pretty good game buried under all the console rubble.  

6. Re: Game Reviews Feb 17, 2009, 11:52 Creston

I like Fear 2. I actually like it quite a bit. The story is pretty cool, I like the level design, I like the battles.

Yes, it's consolized and it's not as good as the original FEAR. Seeing as how quite a few people see the original FEAR as the best shooter of all time, it's not a crime if you fall a bit short of the mark.

I have to agree with Jerykk's assessment that the game really isn't that scary, and I tend to get scared by games fairly easily. It's more tense than scary, but it does the tense part very, VERY well.

They really missed the mark on Alma again. In the first game, her appearances were startling and even scary the first time you saw them, but once you realized that she was NEVER going to do anything to you, it lost all its luster.
(My favorite parts in the original were where she would show up while you were locked in. Like you'd walk into a security office, and suddenly she's standing outside the window. If she was an actual danger to you, THAT is a good scare method, imo. Because you know that as soon as you go outside, you're probably gonna wind up dead. However, because she doesn't do anything, you can just run outside and nothing will happen.

In Fear 2 she DOES attack you, but it's always completely out of nowhere. You're walking along a corridor and suddenly the bitch is in your face. That's startling, it's not scary.
Scary would be for you to walk into a corridor with no exit but the way you came, and watching her walk up behind you, the lights going off behind her, and knowing that the only way out of here is THROUGH her. Then you could run into her and do the little "hit melee 8000 times even though it doesn't do anything and your health bar mysteriously drains even though she's not doing anything either" and it would be ten times scarier than what it is now.

The one actually scary part in the game, with the ghosts, is more annoying than scary. I fucking HATE immortal enemies.

I miss being able to lean, especially since the enemies seem to be able to do it.

And there is still not enough variety in the enemies. Note to monolith : when we asked for more enemy variety after FEAR, we did NOT mean "oh, well, now we have both replicant soldiers, AND we have Armacham spec ops. The first wear green uniforms, and the second wear blue uniforms! they use the exact same AI and the exact same weapons!"

Twits.

It's definitely console shooter, but it's a very very VERY good console shooter. Imo. I'm really enjoying it, and so far it has surprised me with its length. I thought it'd be over twice already by now.

Creston

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 2009, 11:56.

5. Re: Game Reviews Feb 17, 2009, 11:41 Ratty

I made a resolution some time ago to never play a game without trying the beta first. Given how much I loved the first FEAR and both its expansions I bought FEAR 2 anyway. What a short memory I have. And what a waste of 50 buck. The game is unplayable on the PC. I would have been able to tell that instantly if only I played the demo.  

4. Re: Game Reviews Feb 17, 2009, 09:29 Bill Borre

I never really understood the hatred directed at Deus Ex 2, but after slogging through FEAR 2 I think I can understand.  

3. Re: Game Reviews Feb 17, 2009, 07:02 LittleMe

I enjoyed playing FEAR2 through to the end. The levels are beautiful and varied well. The graphics are really nice and perform great.

But it has problems, namely that there is absolutely no stealth factor. The AI knows exactly where you are at all times. There are a lot of things about the game that make it suffer, but its still a solid shooter worth $30 or so.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

2. Re: Game Reviews Feb 17, 2009, 05:03 eRe4s3r

After you see the end, i'd be curious to hear what you make of it, it left me quite confused ;/

But i agree that its not scary, i made a lengthy mini rant about that on my da journal, the problem is the game has no atmosphere and theres nothing to *fear* since alma is kinda cute (i always wanted to hug her more than shoot her).

But yeah, compared to Deadspace Ravenholm or Doom 3, fear 2 is not scary at all.

I hope they won't touch NOLF3 with a pole though, they'd ruin the last great franchise of the old-days, if fear 2 is any indication

1. Re: Game Reviews Feb 17, 2009, 02:17 Jerykk

From what I've played thus far (I'm on Interval 4), I'm a bit disappointed by FEAR2. It doesn't really feel like an improvement over the first game. The particle effects are weaker (shootouts in FEAR1 resulted in debris and dust flying everywhere), the AI seems more defensive (less flanking and maneuvering) and the game is too easy, even on Hard. It's also not really scary at all. And why is it taking so long to get the interesting weapons? I want my Penetrator already. The lack of leaning is also very annoying. They should have taken the CoD4 route and added it specifically for the PC version since it was in the first game and is standard for pseudorealistic PC shooters.

Monolith, please scrap this series and make NOLF3.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo