Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Game Movie

The Hollywood Reporter tells us that infamous movie director Uwe Boll is looking to raise the $18.5 million budget for Blackout: The Film by soliciting fan donations through this page. In exchange for a 33€/$49 payment, "co-producers" will receive a copy of the movie on DVD when it is done and entry into a pair of raffles, one of which offers cash prizes. We're not sure all of that is kosher under US laws, but hopefully it is, as it will give game fans a way of ensuring Uwe stays away from game-related properties for his next project.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Game Movie Feb 13, 2009, 21:41 Hyatus

... but would you pick the people behind that camera, the Purchase Brothers, or Uwe Boll to make Hollywood budget Half Life film?

I'd pick two retarded monkeys, a zebra and Zombie Hitler before I'd pick Uwe Boll to...wait...I think I just wrote the screenplay for Madagascar 3. To Germany!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Game Movie Feb 13, 2009, 21:30 Tanto Edge

@Quboid
I'd get the Purchase Brothers to make it, but Uwe could be in it...
as a headcrab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

26. Re: Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Game Movie Feb 13, 2009, 20:49 Quboid

I just got a message from Steam, 4 news articles and the 3rd was about this. Well done guys! (Also well done Valve, some companies would have sued...)  

- Quboid

25. Re: Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Game Movie Feb 13, 2009, 19:38 ldonyo

Why? He'll just fuck that up, too.  

24. Re: Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Game Movie Feb 13, 2009, 17:09 Bone43

Video game movie done right? Only a fan made flick can make it happen.

WATCH THIS!!! (and make sure you watch the HD version).

Escape From City 17 - Part One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1UPMEmCqZo

That was good at least three times better than anything Uwe Boll ever made.

23. Re: Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Game Movie Feb 13, 2009, 16:48 Quboid

The acting was bad, the muzzle flashes sucked, many of the effects were a bit suspect and there's some very obvious greenscreen shots ...

... but would you pick the people behind that camera, the Purchase Brothers, or Uwe Boll to make Hollywood budget Half Life film?

- Quboid

22. Re: Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Game Movie Feb 13, 2009, 15:49 Cutter

Wow, that Escape From City 17 short is pretty awesome considering their resources.

Well, the acting was pretty atrocious but, granted it's pretty impressive for a no-budget indie.

And for 18.5 million I say we send Uwe into space never to return.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

21. Re: Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Game Movie Feb 13, 2009, 15:44 Zzet

You're not fucking kidding, that absolutely rocks.

For those of you that hate playing HD stuff in your browser try this:
http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2008/04/download-youtube-videos-as-mp4-files.html
It provides a link that you bookmark that when clicked while viewing a HD Youtube video, will prompt you to save it in MP4 format. Works fine, uses Javascript, and let's me watch it without Fireobesityfox getting in the way.

20. Re: Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Game Movie Feb 13, 2009, 15:36 Quboid

Wow, that Escape From City 17 short is pretty awesome considering their resources.  

- Quboid

19. Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Suck Movie Feb 13, 2009, 15:12 Dreagon

But how?  
------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

18. Re: Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Game Movie Feb 13, 2009, 14:38 kimbambaman

Wow, very nice! Thanks for the link!

"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

17. Re: Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Game Movie Feb 13, 2009, 14:33 Aero

I like the man. He's definitely a nut, but a loveable nut in many respects. His shear thick-headed will is worth something.

I don't know about his movies though. I caught some of Alone in the Dark on TV and it was pretty terrible. First off, so far as I can tell it had nothing at all to do with the game. Its production value wasn't even up to the standards of a syndicated action TV show, but clearly more for lack of talent and vision than money--like an amateur movie where they just slap a set together or use a random location, shoot the scene in one go and then move on the way you'd write an essay in a high school English class--and for the love of god, it had Christian Slater in it.

They don't really qualify as camp either. Camp has some redeeming features which make them enjoyable to watch. Scene to scene they're entirely ridiculous. Alone in the Dark just took itself too seriously and most of the scenes were just boring. There wasn't anything ridiculous to enjoy simply because there wasn't anything at all. Most of it was just totally vacant filler.

If he would just give in and stop taking himself seriously the way that William Shatner finally did, he might be able to pull something off. I haven't seen Postal, but it's on Netflix's instant view. Maybe I'll check it out. That seems like it's more in the right direction.

16. Re: Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Game Movie Feb 13, 2009, 14:22 Kxmode

There's a reason Uwe Boll makes shit. If you wonder HOW and WHY well here you go...

You Too Can Turn Water Into Wine

Hollywood has a long history of sourcing international investors for projects. Often you will find that filming in a certain country offers incentives and tax breaks not offered in the US. Usually though, you’ll find that in order to be entitled to them, you have to meet certain conditions, for example filming in that particular country and/or employing a certain percentage of native workers as your film crew. Germany has these incentives but, crucially, no such restrictive requirements put upon them. Germans can fund your movie and you can make it wherever and however you like.

But crucially, the bizarre tax laws in Germany mean that any wealthy Germans who invest in a movie can write-off the production cost, delay paying their taxes and generally reduce their tax burden. When you disseminate all the boring legal business law surrounding it the bottom line is this – the German investors in a movie only pay tax on any RETURNS the movie makes, their investment is 100% deductible, so the minute the movie makes a profit, said investor has to start paying tax. Plus the investors can actually borrow money to put towards investment and write that off too. Assuming you’re a sharp enough businessman you have a potential goldmine in the making; a way to make money from investing in bad movies...

Enter a German by the name of Dr. Uwe Boll. (Pronounced “Ooo-vay Bowl” in case you’ve ever lain alone at night and wondered. I know I have.)

http://www.cinemablend.com/features/Uwe-Boll-Money-For-Nothing-209.html

15. Re: Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Game Movie Feb 13, 2009, 14:19 DangerDog

Video game movie done right? Only a fan made flick can make it happen.

14. Re: Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Game Movie Feb 13, 2009, 14:04 Bluesfanboi

You can tell much about a modern well-informed person by how they feel about UB's 'creative' output vs. his money laundering operations.

13. Re: Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Game Movie Feb 13, 2009, 13:58 Tanto Edge

Truth be told I AM one of his fans for just that reason.
I liked Postal, thank god it didn't suck completely, but then only Uwe would have the balls...

Holy shit I can see fangs in the crowd...

I dunno if I'll be supporting his ass though.

Hey everybody shoot me five bucks a head for the next super duper all console Ninja game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

12. Re: Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Game Movie Feb 13, 2009, 13:58 Kxmode

The Film by soliciting fan donations

Fixed that.

11. Re: Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Game Movie Feb 13, 2009, 13:52 Cram

So after countless films that he has called smashing successes, he wants a bailout package from his "fans"? I've heard of the "I rape you, you rape me" relationship, but this is more like the "I rape you and then I rape you again" classic relationship.

The only credit I give Uwe Boll is his determination. No matter how bad his movies may be, he finishes them and tells everyone else to go fuck themselves. Speaks his mind, unlike most people on Earth. Still wish he'd go away.

10. Re: Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Game Movie Feb 13, 2009, 13:50 Wowbagger_TIP

Uwe Boll is looking to raise the $18.5 million budget for Blackout: The Film by soliciting fan donations through this page.
Uwe Boll has fans?!

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2009, 13:51.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

9. Re: Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Game Movie Feb 13, 2009, 13:05 Rob

I thought Postal was his shining moment, a pivotal noir film with action, drama, comedy and romance all mixed together like an omelet. A pure treasure, it should have been up for awards.

It's up for some supporting actor and director awards.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo