Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Shalebridge Cradle? Feb 12, 2009, 16:47 PHJF

Thief 3 was all right, but it doesn't stand a chance if compared to Thief 2.

The biggest initial knock against it was the third person camera. Nobody wanted it, nobody asked for it, but they decided that xbox players couldn't handle something crazy like a default first person view.

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Shalebridge Cradle? Feb 12, 2009, 16:39 JohnBirshire

That was Thief 3 right?

That shit was awesome.

Oh, and Zero Punctuation is entertaining, but I would NEVER think of it as an actual review. Might need to find a new category to put Zero Punctuation postings in Blue.

13. Re: Game Reviews Feb 12, 2009, 16:37 Cram

Especially where he had to break into the old Sanitarium. I soiled myself I was so scared!

I know! That was the Shalebridge Cradle. No boxers or underwear remain unsoiled after that shitshow.

12. Re: Game Reviews Feb 12, 2009, 16:30 Cutter

Thief 3 rocked! Especially where he had to break into the old Sanitarium. I soiled myself I was so scared!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

11. Re: Game Reviews Feb 12, 2009, 15:28 heroin

Yeah, I agree with you guys Thief 3 wasn't nearly as bad as some reviews made it seem. I remember the big complaint being that the graphics looked plasticy and the ragdoll system sucked but neither really deterred from the game. I'm actually reinstalling Thief 2 because I seem to have forgotten what it was like - but I will never reinstall the original Thief, while I loved it - well the first three levels or so - the zombie/monster stuff mostly sucked.  

10. Re: Thief review Feb 12, 2009, 14:38 Aero

Oh, I forgot to mention. It's mostly multi-platform console garbage at fault for that as per usual. 64 megs of ram on that x-box. Half as much as I had when I was playing the first Unreal with my Voodoo. What? Three years earlier?

Strike the Thief expectations though, and I would have hold the third in reasonably high regard. Same for Deus Ex really.

9. Re: Thief review Feb 12, 2009, 14:33 Cram

I really enjoyed Thief 3.

IMO, The Shalebridge Cradle is the holy grail of level design.
Maxed out settings, surround sound and a > 20inch display, absolutely epic. That level alone is worth the purchase of the game.

8. Re: Thief review Feb 12, 2009, 14:26 Aero

I actually thought Thief 3 was okay too. It certainly didn't live up to the name though. It came from a time when the games that aspired to fancy graphics had to give up larger, more active environments for the graphics quality, and it seemed to hurt a lot of games. Deus Ex 2, was probably the worst example.

7. Re: Thief review Feb 12, 2009, 12:10 hiya

Yeah me too. I have all of em around here somewhere. Thief 3 wasn't bad honestly, the lighting effects added to the gameplay, some great sound design and level design, though it didn't show for the first few levels. Having your house on "the street" was fun.

If you liked the thief games with quality swordplay, the Dark Messiah of Might and Magic designers were consulted by the main man behind the thief games, and it shows. I really enjoyed it, but I played it in it's fully patched state, e.g. Steam.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/2100/
$9.99!

6. Re: Game Reviews Feb 12, 2009, 11:33 theyarecomingforyou

I am not sure his rapid fire dialog delivery will actually appeal to a big sector of gamers
But that's the thing... where does it say you SHOULD appeal to everyone or even to a majority? That's exactly the problem with society today - everything from games to the news is dumbed down to appeal to more people to such a degree that it doesn't cater to anyone properly.

I like his style and most of his reviews are very entertaining. Also, he's bang on a surprising amount of the time.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

5. Re: Game Reviews Feb 12, 2009, 10:18 Quboid

All his reviews are, yes, he's something of a meme (fad). As he's said himself, he's more of a critic than a reviewer, which is to say his comments make more sense if you've already played the game.

Interview with him, discusses his not insignificant influence:
http://www.videosift.com/video/Ben-Yahtzee-Croshaw-interview-on-Not-Quite-Art

(Also read the 6th comment on that page by some charismatic stallion for some critique of his implied influence.)

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2009, 10:23.

- Quboid

4. Re: Game Reviews Feb 12, 2009, 10:08 Acleacius

Are all his game reviews done in that style? I am not sure his rapid fire dialog delivery will actually appeal to a big sector of gamers, maybe the stick figures help? I would be willing to bet it's funnier and much more useful review, as the written word.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

3. Re: Game Reviews Feb 12, 2009, 07:38 Bill Borre

Yahtzee must be bored with so little games to play that he's playing such an old title.  

2. Re: Game Reviews Feb 12, 2009, 07:22 Aero

Maybe a half million people will go out and buy the Theif games today after work and they'll be encouraged to pull the team back together and make a fourth.

1. Thief review Feb 12, 2009, 02:37 Bet

Definitely wasn't expecting that. Now I want to go back and replay it.  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo