Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Gamasutra - Legitimacy For Game Developers.
"Computer games are in the awkward position of being a relatively new medium that already has considerable influence. We don't have the millennia of history that writing has, yet games have entered the mainstream and are rarely considered solely the domain of social outcasts."

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Op Ed Feb 11, 2009, 12:10 Bluesfanboi

"You can't even count on EA to make a decent SimCity anymore."

Furthermore, Sim City and the Sims are an example what I described in my first post..the evolution of the Game/Franchise.

SimCity is a complex simulator with various civics and institutions and all the other mundane things that make up our impression of what a complex virtual City should be. Fun for the number crunchers and what-ifers, but does nothing for the crowd that otherwise devours the Sims.

They enjoy the manipulations and the evolution of their decisions and the various customizations too, as much as we do...just not as often nor do they require as many elements. Maybe they are young, or frail, or inexperienced, or just not as into it or pressed for time.

Civilization, SimCity and The Sims are each magnificent in their own right and you need that complex, multi-layered, subtle and wonderful seed-project from which the later and simpler derivatives can be produced.

The Game Civilization says it best when you discover 'engineering' - How do you know when you have the perfect design? Not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to take away.

I'm a strong proponent of top-down design.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Op Ed Feb 11, 2009, 10:36 RP

I had a brief discussion about PC gaming with a coworker awhile back. He said something like:

"Why don't they make games like Alpha Centauri anymore?"

Remember when videogames weren't just marketed to adolescents and meatheads? Listen, I like blowing away aliens or zombies as much as the next guy, but it'd be nice if large publishers, such as EA, would release Alpha Centauri- and Baldur's Gate-quality games every now and then. You can't even count on EA to make a decent SimCity anymore.

There was plenty of lowbrow stuff in the 90s, don't get me wrong, and I had fun playing it, but I could also count on Planescape, Civ, SimCity, etc. etc.

Videogaming is almost embarrassing at times. Look at Red Alert 3.

3. Re: Op Ed Feb 11, 2009, 07:12 InBlack

And then there's EA.

Yeah, and its because of EA, and other similar publishers/developers that gaming will never truly be considered a "legitimate" form of entertainment/art/hobby call it whatever you will.

How can gaming ever achieve legitimacy when most publishers fail to take their paying customers seriously and in fact not only do they fail to grant us the respect we as their consumers deserve, they frequently go on to smear us, they lie to us and their entire industry is based around hype and marketing, rather than substance.

There is always the question of quality gaming and how to quantify that quality, since its usually quite subjective. But before that happens they gotta stop treating us gamers like we are all geeky adolescents.

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Op Ed Feb 11, 2009, 06:57 Bluesfanboi

"Read any good books lately?" is commonly heard, but "Played any good games lately?" is only asked between gamers.

In my world, both of those groups of people are the same as they ask both questions. Games and gamers were never outcasts, nor fringe, no matter what the uninitiated might have said in the past out of ignorance or malice or irrational panic.

Instead, games and their creators are the very essence of thought and expression... artists who give birth to novelty and the technicians who midwife it and the players who make it come alive.

In gaming, as in any life activity, the best and the brightest through their sheer force of will create and enjoy their innovations right up until the disinterested spill over into the scene...eager to know what they are missing.

Not wanting to deprive the masses of the joy of discovery the game and gamer evolves to accommodate their needs of less expression, less innovation, less demands. Those of the masses who demand more, then seek out the vanguard of the trend and join with it, encouraging further progress.

And then there's EA.

1. Re: Op Ed Feb 11, 2009, 05:01 dubfanatic

We don't have the millennia of history that writing has, yet games have entered the mainstream and are rarely considered solely the domain of social outcasts.

No, computer gaming is not in the mainstream, although I see how you can get that impression if you only hang out with gamers. Example: the question "Read any good books lately?" is commonly heard, but "Played any good games lately?" is only asked between gamers.

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo