Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

H.A.W.X Demo & Release Plans

Ubisoft announces a March 13 release date for the Windows edition of Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X, and a February 26 release date for the Windows demo for the Tom Clancy-branded aerial combat game. The announcement also includes a March 6 release date for the Console editions of the game and word to expect the Xbox demo on February 11 and the PlayStation 3 demo on February 12. Here's what to expect in the demo:

In this demo, players will dominate the skies for the first time and battle planes, tanks and amphibious assaults and have the opportunity to dogfight with other elite pilots in a stunning panoramic boss scene.

Key features of the H.A.W.X demo:

• Co-op enabled for up to 4 players – Jump in/Jump out
        • Gain experience points and unlock up to three real, licensed planes in the demo:
            • F-16A Fighting Falcon
            • SU-35 Super Flanker
            • AV-8B Harrier II
        • Choose between two different game modes:
            • Normal – Default control type
            • Expert – Allows full control over the aircraft in “Assistance Off” mode
        • Two heart-pounding missions:
            • Operation: Off Certification (Training mode)
        • Learn the skills of an elite pilot in “Assistance Off” mode and pull extreme maneuvers
            • Operation: Glass Hammer (Rio De Janeiro)
        • Take flight over GeoEye technology (the world’s best satellite data), and witness Brazil like never before
        • Learn to use the Enhanced Reality System in “Assistance On” mode, where your plane’s computer calculates the best interception course for you to follow to attack an enemy, evade a missile or hit a ground target

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: H.A.W.X Demo & Release Plans Feb 13, 2009, 11:48 Tumbler

This game is A LOT better than I expected. The camera tracking of the planes is outstanding. Most of the combat is done in 3rd person view, they call it assistance mode, going between cockpit and outside view. The main difference is that in outside view you can stall your plane and do maneuvers a bit quicker. It's like safeties are enabled when you're in first person view so you can't get in too much trouble.

But the gameplay is really nice. There are normal flight controls and expert flight controls, the main difference seems to be that in normal when you press left or right, it rolls your plane 90 deg, then stops rolling and starts banking automatically. In expert it will just keep rolling unless you pull back on the stick.

The normal controls feel much more comfortable in 3rd person mode. The game is not in any sort of 2d plane, you can easily do rolls and loops without the game thinking you just want to go up or left or right.

Whoever did the controls on this game really hit a sweet spot. I'm a stickler for flight sims so I'm shocked that this game feels so good.

It's arcade-ish in many ways, but the combat is awesome to look at. The way they move the camera around behind the plane while your flying is perfect, it feels great. I ended up playing the 2nd mission 3 times in a row. Each time I unlocked a plane and it's just fun to watch them bank and roll and go screaming around the skys.

I would have bet huge money that this game would suck. It doesn't. I added to my gamefly que.

I should mention the stall characteristics are pretty ridiculous. You hit a certain level of speed and you stall. (the game regulates you back to the same speed and you basically have gas/brake to go a little faster or slower) But going slow is what makes it possible to win a turning fight. But it's nothing fancy, when you hit hte brakes you start sliding, basically you take an almost insane angle of attack to shoot your enemy. It's not realistic but it's cool. And it's totally like hitting the e-brake and spinning around...

Normal flight controls give you way too much freedom to do this (arcade like), expert controls don't let you take nearly the same turns, (and they make flying in 3rd person very difficult) but I was having too much fun to care. The game is gorgeous. Half the time I think I'm watching a movie because the action seems almost cinematic.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2009, 11:51.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: well... Feb 12, 2009, 15:27 Old_Geezer

Considering how much they paid to use his name, they're going to milk his tits until they run dry.

Exactly...the license doesn't seem to come with any kind of stipulations...just look what they did to the Ghost Recon franchise. The first one was brilliant (especially for the time), and then they changed the entire premise of the game and made it console-friendly...not that the "sequels" were bad games, they just weren't true to the original. I can't wait for Operation Flashpoint 2...at least those guys aren't sticking the same name on a completely different type of game.

Clancy's name should have come with stipulations...specifically, that the game must strive for at least a semblance realism and truly strategic thinking in gameplay.

HAWX may actually be an excellent game, but it's just not the kind of game that old-timers like myself used to associate with the Clancy name. HAWX could actually be incredibly fun...I guess I just think that "Clancy" doesn't belong in the title, but I guess I should just get over it since it clearly will never mean what it used to when used in a game title. My negativity wasn't so much based on the game itself, but rather, on the way the name "Clancy" is used as if it's supposed to actually mean something these days.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2009, 15:30.

29. Re: H.A.W.X Demo & Release Plans Feb 11, 2009, 20:07 ColoradoHoudini

i am excited about this game.. been looking for a fun flying game for a while now.
nothing too serious, nothing too realistic.. but pretty damn fun to play.
hopefully this will be it.

28. Re: H.A.W.X Demo & Release Plans Feb 11, 2009, 17:42 JohnnyRotten

Played the X360 demo, it's an arcade game with really cool graphics. It's alright if that's what your looking for. A sim, it is not.

- J

27. Re: well... Feb 11, 2009, 16:34 Prez

I am sTILL waiting for a Janes LongBow III.

Ugh. I miss the Jane's series so much.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: H.A.W.X Demo & Release Plans Feb 11, 2009, 16:32 Prez

I guess in my opinion if you go in with negativity you come out with negativity, no matter what.

I think you may be mistaking low expectations with negativity. I agree that automatically negative thinking will make one prejudicial before ever experiencing something for one's self, but most of the posts here are more along the lines of "I'm not expecting much, but I hope I will be surprised."

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: well... Feb 11, 2009, 15:46  dsmart 

It's a third-person shooter in a plane...what kind of realism can you expect? Clancy's name means absolutely dick nowadays. They'd might as well just produce a "Tom Clancy's Pie Eating Contest: Gastronomical Warfare".

Considering how much they paid to use his name, they're going to milk his tits until they run dry.

As to the game itself, anyone who is even trying to compare this to a "sim", needs to be taken out back and slapped senseless.

The bottomline is that if there is a market for it, then it will do well. A LOT of people didn't like the Ace Combat series either - for whatever reason - but the XB360 exclusive AC6, is hands down the best of the series.

Not everybody wants to read tomes to play a game. If a quick fix in a jet is fun for you - and you like these kind of games - then you win. If they sell enough, then it becomes a series. Can't argue with that.

Black Shark vs H.A.W.X? You guys are frigging nuts to utter both of them in the same breath, let alone the same consciousness.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

24. well... Feb 11, 2009, 09:12 Shataan

"DIGITAL COMBAT SIMULATOR: Black Shark"

Obviously the Ruskies still dig a good sim. Too bad Janes doesn`t anymore. I am sTILL waiting for a Janes LongBow III. Longbow II rocked. But it sure would have been nice to be flying a Longbow III by now.

23. Re: H.A.W.X Demo & Release Plans Feb 11, 2009, 08:29 Burrito of Peace

I downloaded and played the demo this morning and it was enjoyable.

It's definitely not anywhere close to a sim, think more Ace Combat pitched towards the NA and EU markets. However, that doesn't prevent me from enjoying it.

Of course, I don't have 50 grand invested in my own fiberglass personal cockpit, functioning MFDs and boutique HOTAS setup. So, I'm not going to bang angrily on the keyboard while spittle flies from my mouth and say "ZOMG! IT'S NOT HARDCORE! I DIDN'T HAVE TO PAINT AND THEN LOAD THE MISSILES MYSELF! THIS GAME FUCKING SUCKS!"

I had a very enjoyable co-op experience with a friend over Xbox Live in that we found it very easy to setup and then join a co-op game.

As always, YMMV.

22. Re: H.A.W.X Demo & Release Plans Feb 11, 2009, 06:47 InBlack

Im currently playing DIGITAL COMBAT SIMULATOR: Black Shark!

Man those russian developers are so wicked. Ive never had so much fun learning to fly a real helicopter before. So far Ive masterd taking off, hovering (sort-of) 5 meters above the ground, and landing again. Its tough, tough work. Who would have though flying a gunship would be so hard

I have a nifty blue line!

21. Re: H.A.W.X Demo & Release Plans Feb 11, 2009, 06:22 theyarecomingforyou

I guess in my opinion if you go in with negativity you come out with negativity, no matter what.
I dunno. I was pretty sceptical regarding FEAR2 but after playing the demo I thought it was quite enjoyable, even though it's not going to set the world on fire. I'm usually pretty good at judging which games I'll like and dislike but I'll play the demo anyway.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

20. Re: H.A.W.X Demo & Release Plans Feb 11, 2009, 06:04 StingingVelvet

I guess in my opinion if you go in with negativity you come out with negativity, no matter what. It would have to be the best combat flight sim ever to turn around the pessimism I have seen for this game.

Anyway, that's just me. I'm much more positive in general than 90% of the people on this site.

19. Re: H.A.W.X Demo & Release Plans Feb 11, 2009, 05:33 theyarecomingforyou

So the game uses PC flight sticks... has an assistance off mode that sounds like a sim setting... 1st person cockpit mode... uses triplehead... will have a demo... all great stuff.
But it's not just about ticking off features. It's about gameplay. Just because it supports flight sticks, has a cockpit mode and you can turn assistance off does not make it a good game. Unfortunately all the videos show a pretty weak engine and gameplay that looks very shallow. I haven't written it off yet but it's a shame after engines of theirs like Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 2 to see something like this.

I hope I'm proven wrong and it is a good game.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

18. Re: H.A.W.X Demo & Release Plans Feb 11, 2009, 05:06 Muscular Beaver

As I read it in the past you can only use the cockpit mode if you use a lot of consolish helps with circles you have to fly through or some shit like that. And if you disable those helps you are only able to use a very idiotic cinematic cam far away from your plane.

Yep, sounds like a winner.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

17. Re: H.A.W.X Demo & Release Plans Feb 11, 2009, 05:04 Prez

Who is complaining? The only truly negative, down-on-the-game post here was number 8 and maybe number 6. Everyone else is voicing concerns, speaking more about the troubles of Ubisoft and the Clancy brand in general, and/or guarded optimism. Your assertion is incorrect.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2009, 05:10.

- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: H.A.W.X Demo & Release Plans Feb 11, 2009, 04:08 StingingVelvet

So the game uses PC flight sticks... has an assistance off mode that sounds like a sim setting... 1st person cockpit mode... uses triplehead... will have a demo... all great stuff.

And most comments in this thread are STILL people complaining.

Jesus.

15. Re: H.A.W.X Demo & Release Plans Feb 11, 2009, 00:56 Jerykk

Which I'm guessing means: High Altitude Warfare ...Experimental.

No, no. It means High Altitude Warfare... XTREME!!!1!

14. Re: H.A.W.X Demo & Release Plans Feb 11, 2009, 00:16 PHJF

High altitude? How come all the gameplay videos I've seen have you performing air to surface assaults then? It's no more high altitude than Crimson Skies.

Damn... Crimson Skies was good shit.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: H.A.W.X Demo & Release Plans Feb 10, 2009, 23:27 doktor_tchock

...wish they had built it the cockpit console in 3d...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUyIa9rrMDM

How is the cockpit console not 3D here? Most flight sims, up to a few years ago, still used 2D bitmap cockpit consoles to display instruments. Some also had 3D cockpit views in which you couldn't actually interpret the instruments. This looks like a 3D console to me. Though the instruments are probably of little relevance in H.A.W.X. Which I'm guessing means: High Altitude Warfare ...Experimental.

Holy shit. I looked it up on WP -- and yes, that is what it means. But that was a total guess. I'm feeling pretty good about my videogame acronym-decoding skills right now.

I think this game could be enjoyable in the same way that I enjoyed Jane's ATF back in the day and Ace Combat on console.

12. Re: H.A.W.X Demo & Release Plans Feb 10, 2009, 22:19 Wildone

Unfortunately its completely flat 2D plane, looks rather funny popping around in padlock mode, wish they had built it the cockpit console in 3d even simply woulda looked a bit better. Anyway good to see a demo..  

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo