Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin

Publisher Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and developer Monolith Productions announce that F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin should now be available in North American stores for Games for Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. A recently released playable Windows demo offers a sample of the horror-themed first-person shooter sequel, while there are also demos on the Xbox LIVE Marketplace and the PlayStation Store. Here's a bit from the announcement:

BURBANK, Calif. – February 10, 2009 – F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, developed by Monolith Productions and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, ships to retail stores in North America today for Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and Games for Windows®. F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin is the sequel to F.E.A.R., the critically acclaimed supernatural first-person shooter, and ushers in a new dimension of paranormal horror, cinematic combat and highly kinetic action.

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin is a blend of advanced visceral combat mixed with seamless game pacing set inside a sinister and paranormal universe that begins shortly before the ending of F.E.A.R. A Special Forces squad is on a routine mission when the city of Auburn is rocked by a supernatural explosion. Alma, a girl with immense power and a thirst for revenge, has unleashed her wrath upon the city and thrown it into chaos. Tension builds as the squad must combat enemy forces and the supernatural as they struggle to find a way to stop Alma and uncover the mysterious forces arrayed against them before it’s too late.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 12, 2009, 14:53 eRe4s3r

8. - In some dystopian future parallel universe forced Letterboxes are considered hip, Fear 2 was developed by people living in such a nightmare, i however, consider it fugly (yeah thats word)

9. - If you make a game about FEAR , dont make me like the enemy (alma) more than the guys giving me orders. I am not scared of Alma, she never wants to hurts me and neither CAN SHE.

10. - Not only can't she hurt you (or any other of the startle sequences) but at the end you are presented with a very unique ending, which is.. odd, unless they are aiming for "fear 3 - Alma + Player kick arse, again!" Because with that ending i consider alma to be the player chars friend and wife? And even ally. Way to ruin the horror mood from Fear 1

11. - If you have FEAR in your games name, make sure players fear something, in fear theres nothing to fear except the consolitis

Buttom Line, if you hated the Demo, do not buy this. Its EXACTLY as the demo. Same issues, same letterbox, same mapping problems and same fugly (lowish res) textures.

Developers have fixed NOTHING, not even the laser not aiming straight

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 12, 2009, 10:23 Agent.X7

Things that I learned from FEAR 2.

1. - No PC gamer has a 5 button mouse, and even if they did they wouldn't want to use buttons 4 and 5 for anything in game anyway.

2. - Improved graphics now means it looks good on an XBOX 360. If you're unlucky enough to be a PC gamer, it means "Sorry, we had to make this run on an XBOX, so you get less collateral damage effects, smaller explosions, and lower rez textures."

3. - Shotguns blow people up at close range. We're talking all that's left is a cloud of blood. No wonder PETA objects to hunting, all those deer are being disintegrated!

4. - Old women have a much better chance of surviving in a combat zone than trained soldiers.

5. - Coffee tables will completely stop any number of high caliber bullets.

6. - Body armor will stop several rounds from a firearm, but will cause you to die if punched just once.

7. - In the event that somebody's illegal experiment goes wrong, don't worry! They will leave all sorts of evidence of their illegal experiments lying around so that you can figure out what they did.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

53. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 11, 2009, 14:22 Ecthelion

hiya, I know exactly what you mean. I still think there's a length that's too short, but there's definitely a length that's too long, at least for us aging gamers (and I don't mean "elderly" - I'm 28). In my opinion, Far Cry is a prime example of a game that turned into "slogging through the same crap over and over." Every year it seems like my gaming time decreases, so I don't have the patience to endure 30 hours of tediousness to enjoy 10 hours of joy.

I don't think good game length can be derived via a formula or by pulling a number out of a hat, and of course it's subjective. Most people view older games through colored glasses - a lot of those games were extremely repetitive. I'd rather have a shorter length if it meant the gameplay would never be dull.

52. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 11, 2009, 12:38 hiya

The older I get, the less I give a damn whether I can spend 90million hours on gameplay or not.
Also, I don't rush through the game, I'm always looking around for interesting stuff and backstory, and in FEAR 2 demo there's cool stuff to be found if you choose to look. It's not a racing game, its an experience.
Speaking of which, the ghost/spooky crazy stuff effects were badass, as was the opening with cinders falling from the sky. Freaking sweet.

I like games that are the right length. Like Portal. Short game, but one of my favorite game experiences from the last few years.
I'd take that over slogging through the same crap over and over.

51. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 11, 2009, 11:14 Creston

More like slow time events. The only QTEs in Fear 2 involve casually right clicking a few times. No button sequences, no need to mash. It's basically just "Hey. Melee or you're gonna die",

Good. When I saw the mention of QTEs, I was getting really worried. Note to developers : Unlike console mouthbreathers, PC gamers do NOT like hammering keys on their keyboards to get through one of your imbecile encounters.

Creston

50. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 11, 2009, 09:00 NKD

Edit: Whoops, guess he does mention them. Sigh. I'll never understand why developers feel the need to add QTEs or button mashing to games, though it's usually a very obvious sign that a game wasn't designed for the PC.

More like slow time events. The only QTEs in Fear 2 involve casually right clicking a few times. No button sequences, no need to mash. It's basically just "Hey. Melee or you're gonna die",

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

49. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 11, 2009, 05:23 Muscular Beaver

eRe4s3r,

I tried a few of the newer ones a few months back (24"s), and they all failed.
The Hyundai 241D had a pretty good black (for a LCD), but it had ghosting and flickering light textures when moving and also input lag.
The others all had shitty black. But the worst of all, the typical motion blur of LCDs is always there, no matter which one you buy.

I sent em all back and bought a used Sony GDM FW900 for only about half of a "good" TFT. The best CRT ever made. I love this thing and noticed how much better I play with it compared to a TFT.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

48. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 11, 2009, 00:45 Bundy

Gamespy said they won it in about 8 hours. So... Ya.  

47. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 11, 2009, 00:28 PHJF

Sweet, but do they stop UT3 crashing all the time?  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

46. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 11, 2009, 00:20 KilrathiAce

I can confirm that 182.05 drivers fixed l4d stuttering and hitching issues when multithreading is enabled vs previous 18x.xx drivers. Last previous drivers where this was the case: 178.xx. Geforce 8800 gt / 6600 core 2.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

45. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 11, 2009, 00:17 PHJF

Sigh. I'll never understand why developers feel the need to add QTEs or button mashing to games

Because they were in God of War and God of War kicks ass.

44. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 11, 2009, 00:07 Prez

Dragons Lair and Space Quest were entire games written around QTE's, and they ROCKED!!!!

Okay, just being retarded. I hate QTE's in modern games. It's one of the most dreadful and asinine trends in modern gaming.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

43. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 10, 2009, 22:46 Jerykk

This is a guy who apparently likes regenerating health.

Yeah, that pretty much disqualified his opinion from the get-go. However, another odd thing I noticed is that he mentioned Quick Time Events in the summary sentence for the review, yet never elaborates further in the actual review. Given how much people hate QTEs, you'd think he'd talk about them more.

Edit: Whoops, guess he does mention them. Sigh. I'll never understand why developers feel the need to add QTEs or button mashing to games, though it's usually a very obvious sign that a game wasn't designed for the PC.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2009, 22:51.

42. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 10, 2009, 22:27 PHJF

It's interesting to note this in the Eurotrashgamer review:

For example, the game features health-packs and armour-vests, like grandma used to program.

This is a guy who apparently likes regenerating health.

41. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 10, 2009, 21:27 Overon

I can confirm that the multicore rendering option in L4D no longer results in stuttering with the new beta nvidia drivers!  

40. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 10, 2009, 21:26 KilrathiAce

IN release notes (PDF) they mention that left 4 dead hitching issues have been resolved, although according to reference 493506 it was only tested on geforce 200 series.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"

39. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 10, 2009, 19:35 Quboid

I, uh, had the monitor on it's side.

- Quboid

38. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 10, 2009, 19:17 Ant

Quboid: 1024x1280? Wow, that's a weird vertical resolution.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

37. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 10, 2009, 19:16 Creston

My laptop has 8 USB ports. Would something like this work for LCD screens?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812146018

Errr, how are you going to tell your laptop to output the screen data to a USB port?

Does your laptop not have a VGA or DVI connector???

Creston

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2009, 19:17.

36. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 10, 2009, 18:43 KilrathiAce

do those beta drivers fix nvidias issues in 18x.xx series drivers with various intel dual core and multithreading issues with l4d?  

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo