Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New GoldenEye: Source Beta

A new Beta 3 of GoldenEye: Source is now available, updating this homage to the console first-person shooter based on the exploits of Bond, James Bond. At least one registered Source-engine game is required to install and run this mod, which includes an upgrade to the Orange Box edition of the engine, along with new features and fixes. Thanks Ant and Planet Half-Life.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: New GoldenEye: Source Beta Feb 9, 2009, 19:18 bfg9000

Nah didn't enjoy Perfect Dark at all, poor mans Goldeneye
We used to get so drunk, chain smoke and play 4 player on a tiny TV, and howl and scream if somebody chose Oddjob as their character. That little squirt was hard to shoot heh

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: New GoldenEye: Source Beta Feb 9, 2009, 17:33 Wowbagger_TIP

The best thing about Goldeneye was that it led to Perfect Dark, which was 10x the game Goldeneye ever was. Perfect Dark basically revolutionized shooters.
Perfect Dark was the game that made me realize that console shooters will always suck until they come up with a better controller for them. I loved GoldenEye, but consoles are just awkward for shooters.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

10. Re: New GoldenEye: Source Beta Feb 9, 2009, 17:08 RP

Can they recapture the fun of playing with 3 of your friends on a CRT television? Stack ftw

Oddly enough, my grandpa loved playing Goldeneye. It's the only videogame he ever played, but damn was he good at it.

9. Re: New GoldenEye: Source Beta Feb 9, 2009, 17:04 Fion

"We want you to look at this mod and remember the best multiplayer first-person shooter ever made." (ModDB)

best mp fps ever made? Hardly. Best of it's time for consoles undoubtedly, but best of all time? Not even close.

8. Re: New GoldenEye: Source Beta Feb 9, 2009, 15:49 Hump

maybe its me but I'm just not feeling this mod. Its great that they're trying to recapture the fun of the original MP but that's all it should be, capturing the "fun" and not try to emulate it.....its a 13 year old game for chrissakes.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

7. Re: New GoldenEye: Source Beta Feb 9, 2009, 14:35 PHJF

The best thing about Goldeneye was that it led to Perfect Dark, which was 10x the game Goldeneye ever was. Perfect Dark basically revolutionized shooters.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: New GoldenEye: Source Beta Feb 9, 2009, 13:53 DG

Yeah, I keep hearing what a great SINGLE-PLAYER game the original was, but as far as I can tell of this mod, it is multi-player
single player was excellent, but it garnered a lot of it's deserved hype from multi-player.

However, perhaps the most significant factor in the greatness of Goldeneye N64 is irrelevant to single vs multiplayer. It proved that a console FPS can be excellent gaming if the game is wholly designed for the platform - particularly it's controller. I suppose it's the console equivalent of when you first put +mlook into the console in Quake.

I'm not saying this mod won't be a really good game, just that when I at least consider to be the main reason for it's greatness will be lost on the PC.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2009, 13:54.

5. Re: New GoldenEye: Source Beta Feb 9, 2009, 12:51 Ecthelion

Goldeneye didn't have an AI, it was just enemies standing there firing and once in a while diving left or right.
Maybe so, but even creating basic enemies like that is more work than a multiplayer mod involves.

4. Re: New GoldenEye: Source Beta Feb 9, 2009, 12:37 PHJF

Goldeneye didn't have an AI, it was just enemies standing there firing and once in a while diving left or right.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

3. Re: New GoldenEye: Source Beta Feb 9, 2009, 10:01 Ecthelion

It looks like multiplayer only, like the vast majority of mods unfortunately (which is why I avoid them). Let's face it, it's a lot harder to port/rewrite the missions, AI, and scripting from a singleplayer game than it is to create a multiplayer mod.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2009, 10:03.

2. Re: New GoldenEye: Source Beta Feb 9, 2009, 09:57 Bill Borre

Yeah, I keep hearing what a great SINGLE-PLAYER game the original was, but as far as I can tell of this mod, it is multi-player.  

1. Re: New GoldenEye: Source Beta Feb 9, 2009, 09:43 Techie714 ©

never played the original but I keep hearing how amazing it was. Is this single player? If so I'll grab it!  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo