Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout 3 DLC Delay

GameSpot reports setbacks for the second and third DLC packages for the PC and Xbox 360 editions of Fallout 3, learning from Bethesda Softworks' Pete Hines that, "The next DLC for Fallout 3, The Pitt, will be out in March," and "Broken Steel will be out the following month, in April." No reasons for the delays are offered. On a related note, Bethesda’s Jeff Gardiner speaks in-depth about Fallout 3 DLC on GameZone is an interview about the downloadable content for the post-apocalyptic action/RPG, though this is concerned with the content and goals of the DLC itself, rather than any changes in release schedules.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Fallout 3 DLC Delay Feb 10, 2009, 17:39 Creston

I hate that you can't use the keyboard shortcuts to access the info pages. But the pipboy menu is pretty cool anyway.

Wasn't that fixed in 1.1?

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Fallout 3 DLC Delay Feb 10, 2009, 12:08 Jerykk

I was a hardcore PC dude that by god, i would never use a controller over a mouse for FPS. That lasted a couple of years. I am now pretty proficient with a controller. It takes a lot of work but you can get pretty accurate.

The question is: Why bother? Most console shooters get ported to the PC. The ones that don't tend to be thoroughly mediocre/crappy anyway. I'm pretty sure I could become relatively adept with a gamepad too but why should I bother learning how to use a vastly inferior control scheme when I can just use mouse and keyboard? If I really wanted to, I could learn to play shooters with a steering wheel but again, what's the point?

30. Re: Fallout 3 DLC Delay Feb 10, 2009, 04:31 Z9000

I agree with Dryden somewhat. I was a hardcore PC dude that by god, i would never use a controller over a mouse for FPS. That lasted a couple of years. I am now pretty proficient with a controller. It takes a lot of work but you can get pretty accurate.

However, this is how I look at a console purchase... How many years of life does this current generation of consoles have before the next hardware upgrade? 3 maybe 4 years?

So using Gamestop prices as a benchmark:

System ----------------------- Multiplayer for 4 years ------ Total
Playstation 3 80 gig $400 ----------- $0 ------------------- $400
Xbox 360 $300-$400(Elite) -------- $160 ----------------- $460-$560

Sure you can find deals and cut corners on both. These are stock prices. Also you get a free Bluray player on the PS3. The PS3 is super freakin easy to slap a big hard drive in to, as well as run Ubantu (or any decent Linux just about).

That's how you have to think of a console purchase and also look at the software available. I got both systems and both have their special games. I like them both, but I really favor my PS3.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2009, 04:41.

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

29. Re: Fallout 3 DLC Delay Feb 9, 2009, 08:28 dryden555

Dwarf everything you say is reasonable about not wanting to buy an xbox but the market is now very console-centric, the 360 is down to 250 bucks or less, and you _will_ miss out on some fine games that will never appear on the PC. As a gamer, I dislike the cookie cutter graphics that too often appear on console games (oh look another game using the unreal engine) and the auto-aiming crud on console controllers is annoying, but nothing's perfect. Fallout's DLC has been getting negative reception on boards and reviews of it, so I wonder if these delays are an attempt to make the new DLC's better.  

28. Re: Fallout 3 DLC Delay Feb 9, 2009, 08:17 Armengar

mod the ui, I did. Didnt take long, a couple of files. Then again I aint going anywhere near DLC until it is away from that game for windows shite.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

27. Re: Fallout 3 DLC Delay Feb 8, 2009, 19:49 Jerykk

I'm sorry but what exactly is the problem with the UI? It was designed for a multi-platform approach, not to disadvantage PC users. The dialogue size and Pip-Boy are fine.

Can't disagree more. The default text size is huge. I had to get a text mod so I could see more than three lines of dialogue at any given time. There's also no numbers associated with each line of dialogue, so I have to manually click on them. Numbered dialogue responses, like hot keys in general, are a staple of cRPGs and their presence is sorely missed in FO3. In addition, the Pipboy is woefully inefficient. Because they wanted to show how awesome the Pipboy looks, they greatly reduced the amount of space available for showing important stuff like your inventory, stats, etc. Notice the lack of text descriptions for items? The text mod helped again with this but it can only go so far. Finally, the whole inventory text list system is crap. Drag and drop icon-based inventories are far more efficient, as you can see all the items you have at any given moment without having to scroll for a minute.

The advantage they have is that they also suit the more casual PC player, the type that hook up their PCs to HDTVs and/or use controllers.

That's great if you're a casual player but I'm not. I want clean, efficient interfaces that maximize the amount of screen space available. I want an interface that is completely optimized for the platform I'm playing on.

26. Re: Fallout 3 DLC Delay Feb 8, 2009, 16:09 Prez

I hate that you can't use the keyboard shortcuts to access the info pages. But the pipboy menu is pretty cool anyway.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: Fallout 3 DLC Delay Feb 8, 2009, 08:43 StingingVelvet

I agree, the Fallout 3 UI works great on PC and is nowhere near the travesty Oblivion's UI was. I can't believe a formerly PC-focused developer like Bethesda could deliver the horrid Oblivion UI and not feel deep shame.

Still, mods fixed it quick. I did install the mod which allows more lines on-screen in the Pip-Boy (MTUI I think?), but I would hardly classify it as required.

24. Re: Fallout 3 DLC Delay Feb 8, 2009, 08:36 theyarecomingforyou

The FO3 UI is exactly the same as the console UIs. They didn't adapt it to the PC at all.
I'm sorry but what exactly is the problem with the UI? It was designed for a multi-platform approach, not to disadvantage PC users. The dialogue size and Pip-Boy are fine. The advantage they have is that they also suit the more casual PC player, the type that hook up their PCs to HDTVs and/or use controllers. I think it matches the more casual direction they went with the game (VATs being the most obvious example).

To be fair I'd rather game interfaces leant more towards the Fallout 3 system than PC-centric games like The Witcher. STALKER kind of occupies the middle-ground but I definitely think there's room for improvement for game interfaces. The interface is not top of the list of things I'd change in Fallout 3.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

23. Re: Fallout 3 DLC Delay Feb 8, 2009, 07:47 Midnight

The FO3 UI is exactly the same as the console UIs. They didn't adapt it to the PC at all.
No, the Fallout 3 UI is different for PCs: It uses mouse and keyboard. Sure, the GUI looks the same as the console version, but it handles differently.

http://www.crimsondark.com

22. Re: Fallout 3 DLC Delay Feb 8, 2009, 07:45 El Pit

Space chimp, I liked you more when you posted here as "fredrickson". But every board needs a troll, although most trolls have more class than you do.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

21. Re: Fallout 3 DLC Delay Feb 8, 2009, 07:43 Zzet

I'd like to attempt to drag this thread out of the gutter of hopelessness a bit and onto the pavement (sidewalk) of polite discussion before a car, driven by space captain, ploughs into it again.

But I can't think of anything.

So I'll just say that GFWL and any enforced attachment to it sucks. That'll do.

20. Re: Fallout 3 DLC Delay Feb 8, 2009, 06:19 Jerykk

Besides the various anti ms reasons, some xbox version of games are inferior to the pc version due to their lack of easy modability or poor ui (both fo3 and mass effect immediately spring to mind).

The FO3 UI is exactly the same as the console UIs. They didn't adapt it to the PC at all. Some effort was made to adapt the ME UI to PC but it still ended up poorly.

19. Re: Fallout 3 DLC Delay Feb 8, 2009, 06:08 space captain

Oh, my, your parents must be proud of you. Been the king of the debate course, right? Lost every debate, but after school you beat the winner to a pulp.

and i also have a kung-fu grip

my parents must be proud? wow - thats some heavy shit.

you want to know something thats beyond debate? you are a dumbass.

Go forth, and kill!

18. Re: Fallout 3 DLC Delay Feb 8, 2009, 06:04 Optimaximal

It took me less than 5 minutes to buy the last DLC and boot it up in-game... I don't see the problem. People just like to complain.
For every satisfied customer, there's been at least 3 problems - Most of them seem to have stemmed from people either not upgrading their LIVE install or just not knowing where to buy/install the DLC, since its never really been publicised that you have to buy it using the new and barely-talked-about GFW:Live program - most people only know about the revised in-game browser.

Basically, it seems if you got GTA4 working properly, which meant forcing the updated LIVE onto your machine before it would even work, then you probably had a better chance of it working in F3, because the update was already there.

17. Re: Fallout 3 DLC Delay Feb 8, 2009, 04:03 StingingVelvet

It took me less than 5 minutes to buy the last DLC and boot it up in-game... I don't see the problem. People just like to complain.  

16. Re: Fallout 3 DLC Delay Feb 8, 2009, 03:09 Dwarf_Snowninja

Except some people don't want to buy an xbox . Besides the various anti ms reasons, some xbox version of games are inferior to the pc version due to their lack of easy modability or poor ui (both fo3 and mass effect immediately spring to mind). You're also saying what I'd suspect microsoft wants, get the xbox because the dlc(s) are only available on it.

No thanks, not going to support having my gaming decisions dictated to me when it would be just as easy to allow the dlc to available for other systems as well.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2009, 03:09.

15. Re: Fallout 3 DLC Delay Feb 8, 2009, 02:43 beigemore

Wow, a lot of complainers here...

You guys could just buy an Xbox and then you wouldn't have to worry about if your gaming system will get DLC or not. I don't own either system, but if all the features/etc are going to one system, it'd make sense to get that system and not get your panties in a ginormous wad.

14. Re: Fallout 3 DLC Delay Feb 8, 2009, 01:46 El Pit

i guess i'll just play with your mom's crusty fuz taco instead

Oh, my, your parents must be proud of you. Been the king of the debate course, right? Lost every debate, but after school you beat the winner to a pulp.

Space private dismissed.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

13. Re: Fallout 3 DLC Delay Feb 7, 2009, 22:49 Bone43

Bethesda would have been so much better off to offer this threw steam.
But since there bending over to make MS happy "for some large bags of money" once again the gamer gets screwed.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo