Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

TechSpot Blog - Why even pay for software? A declaration against poorly implemented DRM.
"Every time I change a major piece of hardware I end up with a warning message informing me that I have two days to reactivate my copy of Windows. Okay, that’s not so bad. Just click re-activate then shall we. Hang on, that didn’t work, and now I have to ring the Microsoft support center based on India and try to communicate a 60+ digit code to someone I can barely understand. After that process is done I can finally use my computer again. Yay! Well… at least until I need to change/upgrade something again."

View
19. Re: Op Ed Feb 8, 2009, 17:20 Warskull

Must be some weird hardware. We've deployed SP3 on over 1600 machines at work, (granted, mostly entire-reimages), and the worst thing that's happened is we've had to force re-install Windows Update Agent 3.0, because the "pegging of the CPU at 100% for updates" problem comes back, in some cases.

It is actually any PC with an AMD processor that had issues with SP3, I think it is fixed now though.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-XP-SP3,5334.html

That was probably the cause and they probably never tried it again.

So you say, why bother paying when you're downloading a pirate copy anyway? Well in that case why bother paying at all, it's not like getting that pirate copy is an effort. Paying vs. not paying for PC software is now nearly just a moral decision, plus maybe a small consideration of getting caught.

There is a certain point where someone will just say "screw it" and resort to piracy. I think the point in the original article is that if he is going to have to go and pirate the game to get it to work, why even bother going to pick up a hard copy, finding out it doesn't work, and going through all the hassle.

A lot of game developers has passed this point and are driving people to either become pirates or give up on PC gaming and go to consoles. Stuff just plain works on consoles, no install limit, no in your face DRM. All DRM on consoles is transparent. Myself, I look at a multi-release game and the consoles seem like better options these days due to all the developers who release half-assed buggy games for the PCs and all the ridiculous DRM that gets in the way. I would say a majority of multi-platform games are simply better on the console now. You miss out on mods (which may or may not occur, depending on the game) and sometimes get a weaker control scheme in return for a game that doesn't crash or tell you "you changed your sound card and/or desktop background, I refuse to run."

On morality, its not exactly moral to release buggy half-finished games that don't run properly and advertise them as an fully functional products either. PC gaming is just people screwing each other over left and right these days. The best you can hope for is 90% of PC gaming companies to die out and have their poor ideas die with them.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Feb 7, 14:44 Re: Op Ed Bluesfanboi
  2. Feb 7, 15:14  Re: Op Ed Prez
  10. Feb 8, 03:54  Re: Op Ed  cliffski 
  3. Feb 7, 15:39 Re: Op Ed Zoomboy27
  4. Feb 7, 17:01  Re: Op Ed Bill Borre
  5. Feb 7, 19:05   Re: Op Ed Yakumo
  6. Feb 7, 19:24    Re: Op Ed vrok
  7. Feb 7, 20:29 Re: Op Ed Z9000
  8. Feb 8, 01:26  Re: Op Ed wtf_man
  9. Feb 8, 01:35   Re: Op Ed Caveman