Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gearbox Software Testing

Gearbox Software is looking for folks in the Plano, TX area to help test out one of their upcoming games, saying: "Testers will be asked to participate in playing an unreleased title and give their feedback. They’ll be provided with some snacks and swag to remember their visit by!" Applicants should be over 18 years of age, and this page has all the details.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Gearbox Software Testing Feb 8, 2009, 23:18 Jerykk

Whatever happened to the motto "Games designed by gamers for gamers", lets just keep dumbing games down for the casual audience, you know "normal people".

Truth. It seems like focus testing revolves entirely around casual gamers. That makes sense given that they are the largest demographic. However, it sucks for everyone else. If you check out the developer commentary for Portal, the devs basically confess that the first 15 missions are tutorials because focus testers had problems grasping the concept of portals. Pretty depressing. The game could have been so much better if most of the levels were like the last 4.

Despite their unfortunate fall, Interplay was at one point the best publisher out there. They lived up to their motto and made games for gamers. They took risks with weird or niche games that modern publishers wouldn't even touch. MDK, Messiah, Sacrifice, Giants, Carmageddon, Freespace, all the Black Isle games... those were good times. Modern publishers only fund games that they can easily market to the masses. Interplay funded games that they thought actual gamers would enjoy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. well.... Feb 7, 2009, 19:24 Shataan

"AvP 1 had complaints from the die-hards, yet it was a damn good game."

All it took was 1 play thru of AVP 2, to really appreciate how cool a job Rebellion did of AVP 1. Especially when ya consider their lack of a good visuals engine, A.I. coders etc etc etc.

Still hoping we see at least 1 more kick at the can = AVP 3xtinction. GearBox can make ww 2 games. But juries still out on whether we will actually see this Aliens game delivered, and if it is gonna rock.

15. Re: Gearbox Software Testing Feb 6, 2009, 23:45 Tanto Edge

Aliens... ahh..

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2009, 23:45.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

14. Re: Gearbox Software Testing Feb 6, 2009, 23:39 Prez

I assume the geographic requirement stems from the developers desire to witness first-hand how testers interact with the game in many situations. Greg Levine has written on this quite a bit in the old, now-deceased Computer Games Magazine.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Gearbox Software Testing Feb 6, 2009, 19:33 Beamer

Honestly, these days all normal people are casual fans of the Aliens series.

The die-hard fans are the ones that would ruin a game by forcing it to be too true.

AvP 1 had complaints from the die-hards, yet it was a damn good game.

You have to cater to the gamers, not the IP die-hards.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Gearbox Software Testing Feb 6, 2009, 19:32 DangerDog

I think Gearbox may want the opinions of normal people , not the fanbois. Why don't you understand this DangerDog?

I hate to think of how many games have been ruined by the feedback from "normal people", I have no doubt that this has what led us to games like the just announced BF1943 where players will have unlimited ammo and regenerating health. Whatever happened to the motto "Games designed by gamers for gamers", lets just keep dumbing games down for the casual audience, you know "normal people".

11. Re: Gearbox Software Testing Feb 6, 2009, 18:24 Kosumo

It sure couldn't hurt, with Aliens: Colonial Marines the success of failure depends on it.

That's like asking your Mum if you could be the next American Idol.

I think Gearbox may want the opinions of normal people , not the fanbois. Why don't you understand this DangerDog?

10. Re: Gearbox Software Testing Feb 6, 2009, 17:40 Ruffiana

Whole point of focus testing is to be able to watch and interact with testers on a physical level. Sadly, you can't do that remotely...otherwise it's just a limited beta test.  

9. Re: Gearbox Software Testing Feb 6, 2009, 17:39 Ruffiana

You mean the non-gamers who read gaming news sites or surf game devlopers web sites, right?  

8. Re: Gearbox Software Testing Feb 6, 2009, 17:35 DangerDog

Games should not be exclusively focus tested to proven fans of the IP they are based on

It sure couldn't hurt, with Aliens: Colonial Marines the success of failure depends on it.

7. Re: Gearbox Software Testing Feb 6, 2009, 16:50 DrEvil

This would be like asking a Star Wars nerd fan to give their opinion on the new Star Trek movie.

You don't have to know anything about the Aliens movies to enjoy a game about it. You don't have to be a Star Trek fan to give your feedback on the enjoyment of a movie. Games should not be exclusively focus tested to proven fans of the IP they are based on, nor should any other form of entertainment. A game is either fun or not, regardless of the IP.

6. Re: Gearbox Software Testing Feb 6, 2009, 16:03 House

It's a focus group. There are usually at least a couple groups for these: those who love the license, those who know little about the license, those who love the core genre, those who like some other genre that the game is trying to include elements of, etc.  

5. Re: Gearbox Software Testing Feb 6, 2009, 15:52 Veinman

Obviously they want to film you playing, not to mention control the testing environment.

I'd love to get my hands on Borderlands. I hope that one makes it out this year.

4. Re: Gearbox Software Testing Feb 6, 2009, 15:48 Bluesfanboi

What's with the geophysical location requirement to be in Plano, Texas?

If only there were some way to tele-phonically transmit information to remote locations, you could obviate the need for expensive travel!

Maybe someday in the future! Excuse me, but I have to re-arrange the onions on my belt as it's the style of the times, don'tcha know?

3. Re: Gearbox Software Testing Feb 6, 2009, 15:41 DangerDog

Whether they have watched aliens is irrelevant.

This would be like asking a Star Wars nerd fan to give their opinion on the new Star Trek movie.

and then using it for "feedback".

I do imagine these are tests where they sit behind a one way glass window and watch people play the game, most game studios use family members for their guinea pig testers.

either way I can't imagine the data collected being of that much use.

2. Re: Gearbox Software Testing Feb 6, 2009, 15:22 DrEvil

With any luck, hopefully they will get people that can read. The last 'requirement' addresses your useless post. Whether they have watched aliens is irrelevant.

Minimum Requirements

<snip>
* You must have a passion for playing video games.

1. Re: Gearbox Software Testing Feb 6, 2009, 15:16 DangerDog

So they're going to get a bunch of non gamers and people with probably have never watched Aliens, or if they did; hated it, to give "feedback" on the game.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo