Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

This is Your Brain on Multiplayer

Ars Technica reports on a research study where MRI scans demonstrate different types of brain activity in a game player if they thought they were playing against a human opponent, rather than a computer. The study indicates that three areas of the brain are more engaged when the subjects thought they were playing against a human, an effect more pronounced in men than women. Here's some of the takeaway of the Ars author:

The human brain appears to try to parse the intentions of others by engaging its own decision-making process; in short, it appears to model another person's mind by seeing what it would do if it were in that other person's skull. The three areas of the brain that the authors identify are involved, in part, in making executive decisions for that brain's owner, in addition to evaluating other people's executive decisions. So, the fact that they're busier when a person thinks they're playing another human could also be interpreted as them focusing harder on an identical decision making process.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: This is Your Brain on Multiplayer Feb 6, 2009, 19:19 space captain

Hmm I would file this under 'no shit sherlock'

no fucking doubt - this "revelation" seems like some basic common sense, for a moderately intelligent person at least

Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: This is Your Brain on Multiplayer Feb 6, 2009, 18:37 KilrathiAce

What about my careface-o-level on multiplayer?  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

12. Re: This is Your Brain on Multiplayer Feb 6, 2009, 15:39 Bluesfanboi

Thank you thank you for that name! I had completely forgotten his name and while the Reaper Bot does cheat (just a little) it's not enough to ruin the experience...it adds to it..IMNHO on bot-play.

[url=]http://www.mindspring.com/~win32ch/Reaper.htm[/url]

That's a quick link to further info.

You are a genius Steven Polge! The top of your class and you have the goods to prove it, bloody good show old sock!

11. Re: This is Your Brain on Multiplayer Feb 6, 2009, 15:02 sponge

The Unreal Tournament 2004 bots are seemingly the most adept and playable AI in a game yet. Whoever wrote their code needs a medal.

Steven Polge, author of the (infamous?) Quake 1 Reaper Bot, if I'm not mistaken.

10. Re: This is Your Brain on Multiplayer Feb 6, 2009, 14:27 dubfanatic

Now this is the kind of video game research I can respect.  

9. Re: This is Your Brain on Multiplayer Feb 6, 2009, 13:40 Yosemite Sam

Hmm I would file this under 'no shit sherlock'  

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

8. Re: This is Your Brain on Multiplayer Feb 6, 2009, 12:36 xXBatmanXx

??? Repeat or a new study on old material?  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: This is Your Brain on Multiplayer Feb 6, 2009, 11:00 brother19

Obvious. Oh, and ALL BOTS MUST DIE ! (This is your brain. This is your brain in Multiplayer...)

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2009, 11:02.

6. Re: This is Your Brain on Multiplayer Feb 6, 2009, 04:26 InBlack

Don't forget about the "fear" or "anxiety" factor. The adrenaline really gets pumped when you play against a human opponent. Its plain evolutionary nature.

In the animal kingom this is very common, especially with primates. Males fighting to assert their domminance.

Thats why competitive sports/gaming/fighting is so very popular. The instinct is probably older than our species

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: This is Your Brain on Multiplayer Feb 6, 2009, 02:24 Bluesfanboi

The Unreal Tournament 2004 bots are seemingly the most adept and playable AI in a game yet. Whoever wrote their code needs a medal.

With the large number of "difficulty levels" of AI, plus the numerous personality modifiers, plus weapon preferences plus subtle adjustable factors and the ability to issue orders...all the while having the bots do them and do them in manner that doesn't quite seem to be cheating, but doesn't quite seem to be human style play...it's a great accomplishment to be able to have said you have beat UT2004 at the Godlike highest AI setting, I have been trying for a few years and haven't got it down yet. Xan is better than my perfect!

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2009, 02:27.

4. Re: This is Your Brain on Multiplayer Feb 6, 2009, 02:20 Daturan

actually bots don't suck at all,, or rather you stand no chance agents %100 accuracy and .00000001 reaction time and total knowledge of position and assets. Human players have a /somewhat level playing field so your victories can give you the feeling that you're somewhat superior. Bots have random() sleep() inserted in their code graciously allowing you to have an occasional win.  

3. Re: This is Your Brain on Multiplayer Feb 6, 2009, 02:05 Coolone

I think my skill rapidly changes when going from bots to human enemies. It's like "ok this is for real now", so I have to push myself to perform better when fighting humans.  

2. Re: This is Your Brain on Multiplayer Feb 6, 2009, 01:40 Caveman

That is cool and interesting. I remember playing online against bots in a quake2,tfc,etc server and its just not the same. The momment it said Player has joined the game, I just shift into a different playing mode. Bots suck

Agreed 100%, there's just something so sastifying about fragging a human player.

1. Re: This is Your Brain on Multiplayer Feb 6, 2009, 01:37 Phaint

That is cool and interesting. I remember playing online against bots in a quake2,tfc,etc server and its just not the same. The momment it said Player has joined the game, I just shift into a different playing mode. Bots suck  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo