Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 1943

The Battlefield Website announces Battlefield 1943, revealing the next installment in the Battlefield series of multiplayer military shooters is returning to World War II, the focus of the original Battlefield 1942. The game is in the works for Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3, and it seems like all three editions will be a digitally distributed, with the release planned for this summer. The site offers a trailer showing off the land, sea, and air combat in the game, and here's word:

Soldiers, it's time to do your part in the action packed battles of the World War II Pacific campaign! Pick your path - be it as a rifleman crawling the trenches, a steel fisted tank commander, or ace fighter pilot dog fighting to protect the skies. Play as a lone wolf or with your friends, coordinating to turn the tide of battle, whatever you choose, you get to enjoy the thrill of a fully featured online shooter with the unique Battlefield sandbox experience.

Battlefield 1943 will be available on Xbox LIVE Arcade, PlayStation Network and on PC for download. This give players access to the famous action packed Battlefield gameplay quicker and easier than it's ever been. Play as the US Marines or the Imperial Japanese Navy on match-made servers for optimal challenge, as you gain ranks and awards. Battlefield 1943 is your own version of one of the most famous campaigns in the history of the world!

By Land, Sea & Air!
Unleash wide destruction with Bombing Raids, Tanks, or Fighter Planes launched from Aircraft Carriers and enjoy one of the best experiences in any multiplayer game to-date.

Varied Locations & Up to 24 Players
Play with 24 players online in three beautiful and destructible locations from the Pacific theatre. Whether you choose Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima or the classic Wake Island, you'll experience the best balance of infantry combat complemented by land, sea and air vehicles.

Frostbite-Enabled Destruction
Watch the beautiful Pacific Islands quickly turn into scarred battlefields as destruction rains upon you and your fellow soldiers as you fight to win the battle!

Through the Gun Experience
Use classic and iconic World War II infantry weapons with excellent feel to defeat your foes. Hit 'em hard from afar through your sniper scope or use explosives or melee weapons like bayonets to make it really up close and personal.

View
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

70. Re: Battlefield 1943 Feb 10, 2009, 14:32 Jackplug

12 vs 12, well lets have a look at this.

2 people in the aircraft so that leaves 10.
2 maybe in the boats driving around which leaves 8.
1 on the air to air guns at anyone time so that leave 7.
2 in the tanks which leaves 5.
2 in the jeep, 1 to steer and 1 to shoot, so that leaves 3.

Out of the 12 that are in the game, 3 ppl are left to run around and shoot each other with.

Sounds a really exciting PC fps war game, NOT!!!

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2009, 14:35.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

69. Re: Battlefield 1943 Feb 8, 2009, 11:09 Tumbler

Gameplay video: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/45234.html

That was a great video, some of the gameplay looked great, standing on the Aircraft carrier and flying the planes looked really good.

the character selection screen looks weird, out of place. The feel of gameplay on the ground for the infantry looks a little off. Driving the jeep looked good.

The infantry combat on BF BC wasn't that good and it looks like they just brought that over here and used the bf1942 vehicles. I'll try it. Renting it on a console seems most likely. And 24 players changes a lot...

Battlefield 1943 will be available on Xbox LIVE Arcade, PlayStation Network and on PC for download.

Oh...welll hmmm. I guess all the arcade games get a demo mode...

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2009, 11:10.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

68. Re: Battlefield 1943 Feb 7, 2009, 05:51 theyarecomingforyou

Sorry, I got confused (obviously).

Gameplay video: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/45234.html

Highlights: Regenerating health, unlimited ammo.

The graphics look pretty good, especially the weapon models, but it looks too cheesy and arcadey.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

67. Re: Battlefield 1943 Feb 6, 2009, 22:07 LittleMe

So BF1942, BF Heroes, Bad Company 2... and you want BF3 on top of that?

Well, bf1942 came out in 2002 so that's a really gold game now. BF Heroes is for casual gamers and won't have deeper gameplay. Bad Company 2 will likely be a console port type game. Yeah, DICE's newer games are not very relevant to what BF1942/BF2 were. They've abandoned their fan base. You don't see that? BF Heroes? Are you serious?

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2009, 23:18.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

66. Re: Battlefield 1943 Feb 6, 2009, 12:48 xXBatmanXx

**PASS**  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

65. Re: Battlefield 1943 Announced Feb 6, 2009, 12:40 Zandog

I'll just say it now. I won't be playing BF:1943. We'll see what BF:Bad Company 2 brings. Frank Delise should make Desert Combat Mod for BF:1943 like he did for BF:1942  

64. Re: Battlefield 1943 Feb 6, 2009, 12:34 theyarecomingforyou

They may be done but the development of them had to overlap and that doesn't included DLC for Mirror's Edge and actually finishing Heroes to get it out of the door. They already have a video showing this game is quite far along, so it's not like they finished Mirror's Edge and then started work on it. And they've got BF Bad Company 2 as well.

So BF1942, BF Heroes, Bad Company 2... and you want BF3 on top of that? Not to mention that more DLC for Mirror's Edge is likely, if it hasn't already been announced. I'd rather another studio took a shot at BF3.

63. Re: Battlefield 1943 Feb 6, 2009, 07:32 LittleMe

So do I but it seems DICE is spreading itself pretty thin (Mirror's Edge, BF Heroes, BF1943, etc).

Well, those games are done or nearly done. Now they have staff and resources to direct to new projects. hint hint DICE (bf3 subliminal message bf3)

62. Re: Battlefield 1943 Feb 6, 2009, 07:00 theyarecomingforyou

Okay I appreciated your post but that line is silly to me because WoW has a massive online population in a huge world and you compare it to a game that supports a maximum of 24 on a server on 3 small maps.
I think I was confusing points there. The game appears to be going more casual, which means it requires lower specs for the non-enthusiansts. Going more casual is not directly related to consoles. I used WOW as an example because my non-gamer mates have terrible computers but still play it... and yes, their computers would be much less responsive with lots of players on screen.

I hope a previous poster is right, that these smaller games are getting them ready for a big game like BF3.
So do I but it seems DICE is spreading itself pretty thin (Mirror's Edge, BF Heroes, BF1943, etc).

61. Re: Battlefield 1943 Feb 6, 2009, 00:30 LittleMe

However, I don't believe the changes are because of consoles. To me it looks more like they're simply lowering the threshold of specifications in order to appeal to a larger audience, much like WOW does.

Okay I appreciated your post but that line is silly to me because WoW has a massive online population in a huge world and you compare it to a game that supports a maximum of 24 on a server on 3 small maps.

CoD4 and TF2 both did the small player counts on small maps to tighten the action and I dare say it got old fast. The action is highly predictable in both games. Those games at least had more maps than this one.

I hope a previous poster is right, that these smaller games are getting them ready for a big game like BF3. Who knows..

60. Re: Battlefield 1943 Feb 5, 2009, 23:09 Tumbler

Hmm the gameplay in the video clips looked like they just ported bf1942 into the frostbite engine...

And besides the infantry combat I didn't see any actual gameplay with the vehicles. (IE couldn't tell if the player was really controlling those planes/ships?

I guess the players will be controlling them... It looks fun...not sure why it's 24 players instead of more... (on the pc at least)

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2009, 23:14.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

59. Re: Battlefield 1943 Feb 5, 2009, 21:59 theyarecomingforyou

Limiting players is a design decision, though not necessarily a good one. Valve imposed similar limits on TF2, requiring mods to support 32 players. So as long as the maps are small enough that players are always close to the action then it could work well and it certainly looks action orientated.

However, I don't believe the changes are because of consoles. To me it looks more like they're simply lowering the threshold of specifications in order to appeal to a larger audience, much like WOW does. The animations look more like Battlefield Heroes and the character detail / polygon count is pretty low. Certainly it's not a cutting edge serious game like BF2 was. Basically, like with Heroes, they're taking the game in a much more casual direction. That seems like a terrible idea to me but the trailer looks like it could be fun... I'll reserve judgement for later.

My hopes aren't high.

Fewer iconic battles, a more detached and soulless military strategy, etc. It all makes it very difficult to model modern military conflicts and get the same effect. You could make a good game based on those various places, but a Battlefield game based there would have no soul and would probably be quite boring.
And which iconic battles is this game based upon? It just takes the setting and makes it up as it goes along. And there's no reason for modern military conflicts to be soulless... COD4 and BF2 did fine. Obviously it takes a bit more effort but isn't that the point? WWII is simply the "go-to war" because it requires little effort and all the stereotypes have already been established. It's up to the developers to make the gameplay compelling so as not to be unbalanced and unfun. Personally I'm up for the idea of something like the Iraq / Afghanistan wars, whereby the US / European forces would be incredibly strongs (tanks, artillery, advanced weaponry) and the indigenous forces require the use of guerilla tactics (climbing through buildings / tunnels, IEDs, RPGs, suicide bombers) - there's no reason sides have to be perfectly balanced... in fact that's boring.

PS - Is it just coincidence that both this and COD:WAW are based on the Pacific campaign? It seems even the particular conflicts of WWII go in-and-out of fashion.

58. Re: Battlefield 1943 Announced Feb 5, 2009, 21:00 Bluesfanboi

"They can never be pleased. Not unless someone decides to grab the rights to every one of the Top 20 PC Games of the early 1990s and re-release an updated version of each and every one"

You say it like that would be a bad thing. Beethoven sounds great with a 20 piece orchestra, it sounds STOOPIDGOOD with an 80 piece orchestra.

Gog.com is way ahead of you but right there with you, DOS and Win95 games that run no problem in XP. They have a pretty sweet line up at unbeatable prices.

The only reason we wont see the best of the best is that the warm, brown intestinal waste products sitting in chairs at EA offices (and other places) won't give up the honey unless you smite it from them.

The ball and chain on ideas, the dreaded "IP", is a creative black hole. You need anti-gravity to break out of the non-event horizon they have protected themselves with.

57. Re: Battlefield 1943 Announced Feb 5, 2009, 20:15 JAGUART

They can never be pleased. Not unless someone decides to grab the rights to every one of the Top 20 PC Games of the early 1990s and re-release an updated version of each and every one
Wow, that would be really awesome. Though, I think I'd extend the range to 2001.

This.

Take any good single player FPS and update it's graphics (Thief Series, System Shock are just a couple) and what a treat!

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2009, 20:18.

"I like to play female characters in MMORPGs to trick men into homosexual chat." - space captain, June 18th, 2009.

56. Re: Battlefield 1943 Feb 5, 2009, 19:41 Wilson

These games are an optimization problem. They're trying to attract the highest number of players by providing the smallest amount of content for the most amount of money. They're trying to do this without regard for the actual gameplay, scenario, or any of those annoying meta-game bits. Rather than doing something new or creating an "experience," they're just shotgunning what they think will get the most number of people playing their games and parroting other popular trends. These games will play like a press release.  

55. Re: Battlefield 1943 Announced Feb 5, 2009, 19:25 Jerykk

They can never be pleased. Not unless someone decides to grab the rights to every one of the Top 20 PC Games of the early 1990s and re-release an updated version of each and every one.

Wow, that would be really awesome. Though, I think I'd extend the range to 2001.

54. Re: Battlefield 1943 Feb 5, 2009, 19:22 DangerDog

Battlefield 3 will come in time, right now they're getting up to speed on things like creating back end server management for Battlefield Heroes. You can bet that they'll want to have a working system in place to handle the micro-transactions for BF3.

These mini Battlefield games are stepping stones to something bigger. It's not surprising that they returned to BF1942 and plucked out the most popular map from the game. I am somewhat surprised that they plan on releasing Bad Company 2 for the PC.

There are other games that should fill for the lack of a larger scale Battlefield game, hopefully they're worth the wait too.

53. Re: Battlefield 1943 Announced Feb 5, 2009, 18:45 Prez

I don't agree with that equation.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

52. Re: Battlefield 1943 Announced Feb 5, 2009, 18:36 Halo

And 24 players? Come on WTF this isn't a console game.

Apparently it is, sadly.

Smaller player amounts, higher poly count, smaller maps = more action?

51. Re: Battlefield 1943 Announced Feb 5, 2009, 18:07 Prez

And 24 players? Come on WTF this isn't a console game.

Apparently it is, sadly.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo