Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

The Game Reviews - Metal Gear Solid 4ís Wasted Story.
"Now donít get me wrong, I love a great story. The problem here is that cramming a story into a game without it really affecting the playerís experience is wasted effort. Games are interactive, and players remember their experiences with a game more than they remember a cutscene they passively viewed. This isnít wasted effort in the philosophical Sisyphean sense. Publishers pay salaries to people that write story, code cutscenes, and record lines of dialogue. This is cost and time that can be better spent on other aspects of the game Ė ones that actually matter to the player."

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Op Ed Feb 5, 2009, 02:08 Jerykk

Not very impressed by this article. I don't really think you can compare MGS4 and Skate2. Thats like saying the problem with horror movies is they aren't documentaries.

Not exactly. Games as a medium are defined by interaction. If you're sitting there watching a cutscene for 15 minutes, that's not interaction. Gameplay should always be the foremost concern in games. This is not to say that narrative should be eschewed entirely but it should integrated into the actual gameplay instead of being conveyed through non-interactive cutscenes. And the author's point is completely valid: Players remember gameplay moments far more often than cutscene moments.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Op Ed Feb 4, 2009, 20:59 Creston

There's a story in Metal Gear? Other than "two guys talk to each other for 97 minutes about the most retarded shit possible?"

As for FF12, I agree that the story in it felt a bit underdeveloped (and VERY illogical at times), and I'm a HUGE FF fan.

Has anyone with a PS3 managed to get the old FFs running on them? (7, 8, 9, 10, 10-2 and 12?)

Creston

4. Re: Op Ed Feb 4, 2009, 19:43 Charlie_Six

Eh, I'm of the opposite viewpoint. I haven't played many Final Fantasies, but the last one I played (FF 12) didn't have enough cutscenes for me. It felt like I was playing 15 hours of game for every 2 minutes of cutscene. Since the story was the only thing compelling me forward (I found the gameplay to be too repetitive and dull), having to work 15 hours to see that 2 minutes of story just wasn't worth it.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

3. Re: Op Ed Feb 4, 2009, 18:54 space captain

MGS4 was boring, and over-hyped to the extreme

the cutscenes were quite jaw-dropping.. but at the end of the day it felt more like a tech demo than a game

yeh, and the storyline was retarded - sorry

i will say this - it put another firm nail in the coffin of my console-gaming career

Go forth, and kill!

2. Re: Op Ed Feb 4, 2009, 17:53 Cyanotetyphas

Not very impressed by this article. I don't really think you can compare MGS4 and Skate2. Thats like saying the problem with horror movies is they aren't documentaries.  

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

1. Re: Op Ed Feb 4, 2009, 15:55 Karnisov

I'm glad someone finally called them on this. Final Fantasy has the same problem since 8. I play games to play games, not to watch movies.  
"Think for yourself. Question authority."
-- Timothy Leary

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo