Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Jack Thompson's Utah Bill

My view- Keep adult entertainment from kids on Deseret News is an Op Ed piece penned by none other than Jack Thompson, described as "a former practicing attorney" in an odd non-disclosure of his disbarment. Thompson outlines a bill to be introduced in Utah he helped author: "It doesn't define what content is 'harmful to minors,' so we avoid the phony First Amendment arguments Hollywood loves to make. The bill simply states: If you promise the public you don't sell adult-rated entertainment to kids, then you had better be telling the truth, because if a parent catches you selling this stuff to his or her kids, then you're guilty of fraud under the Truth in Advertising Law." GamePolitics has a follow-up on this, saying: "The Salt Lake Tribune has confirmed that a Republican state legislator will introduce a video game bill crafted by Jack Thompson."

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Jack Thompson's Utah Bill Feb 4, 2009, 15:44 Agent.X7

Except what I wrote is demonstrably true, and what you wrote is demonstrably false.

So who is the magic-underwear wearing dumbass?

How do you figure? How can you demonstrate an opinion to be true?
You can't, dumbass.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Jack Thompson's Utah Bill Feb 4, 2009, 15:10 Bluesfanboi

Except what I wrote is demonstrably true, and what you wrote is demonstrably false.

So who is the magic-underwear wearing dumbass?

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2009, 15:11.

18. Re: Jack Thompson's Utah Bill Feb 4, 2009, 13:10 Agent.X7

Christians deserve all the ridicule, finger pointing and bad legislation you can fool them into believing they need.

Christians by their very affiliation demonstrate themselves to be easily manipulated rubes.

So keep them in the dry salty desert where they can't harm anyone intelligent.

Atheists deserve all the ridicule, finger pointing and bad legislation you can fool them into believing they need.

Atheists by their very affiliation demonstrate themselves to be easily manipulated rubes.

Morons deserve all the ridicule, finger pointing and bad legislation you can fool them into believing they need.

Morons by their very affiliation demonstrate themselves to be easily manipulated rubes.

Dumbass.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

17. Re: Jack Thompson's Utah Bill Feb 4, 2009, 12:17 Bluesfanboi

Mormons deserve all the ridicule, finger pointing and bad legislation you can fool them into believing they need.

Mormons by their very affiliation demonstrate themselves to be easily manipulated rubes.

16. Re: Jack Thompson's Utah Bill Feb 4, 2009, 12:03 InterFaced

It would figure that the only state retarded enough to water down its beer is the same place JT would peddle his bullshit. Utah has such a beautiful landscape, its too bad its such a cultural wasteland.

Edit: I doubt this will gain any traction, but still its no surprise that Jack ended up here.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2009, 12:06.

15. I'd feel pity for crazy old Jack... Feb 4, 2009, 03:14 Cartman

if he wasn't still such an unrepentant and complete asshole. Laugh2

Truth in advertising is a funny angle for Jack to attempt. Maybe he should sue SUBWAY® Restaurants because they pretty much advertise that you will lose weight eating their sandwiches... I know because I eat 5 or 6 of them at each meal and I can't stop gaining weight. Jared wouldn't lie, would he? Rolleyes2

14. Re: HAHAHAHAHAHA Feb 4, 2009, 02:55 DrEvil

Dream on bible thumping fags. Jack fails at life.  

13. Re: HAHAHAHAHAHA Feb 4, 2009, 01:46 Cutter

What's harmful to minors? There's an indefinable legal phrase if I've ever heard one. I guess Utah will have to ban TV, Movies, Radio, the Internet, games, etc. Maybe they should all just bury their heads in the sand and that way nothing bad will happen.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: HAHAHAHAHAHA Feb 4, 2009, 01:05 Umbragen

The Truth in Advertising Law? In the United Fucking States? The one country in the world where you can claim the most outrageous bullshit in your advertisements, and nobody ever says a fucking thing about it?

You can claim whatever you want about your product, provided it qualifies as a dietary supplement. You can thank a Utahan for that mess too, Orrin Hatch, the Herb pushing Mormon quack Senator.

11. Re: Jack Thompson's Utah Bill Feb 4, 2009, 00:52 EricTheMad

"Mormon's are easy targets for JT's BS. "

No more than any other conservative group. Maybe less so. Remember that Utah's "anti-game" law was pulled before it was ever voted on. Also, the Utah Attorney General has pushed for education over legislation, shooting a commercial about the ESRB ratings. This just sounds like more of JT's self-aggrandizing BS. If the Bill is anything like he describes it won't stand up in court and probably won't even get that far.

If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do they all drown? -- Bucky B. Katt

10. Re: Jack Thompson's Utah Bill Feb 4, 2009, 00:44 Nameless Again

It really has to make you wonder what Jack Thompson's beef is with video games. Did he get his ass handed to him too many times the arcades of the '70s?

I can see it now: Young Jackie shows up in his corduroy pants, hair picked to a nice white man's 'fro, sporting a Starlight Vocal Band T-shirt, his pimples a pearly white against his sunburned nose. His hands are greasy from all the quarters he's stuffed in his pocket. The air is filled with attract modes and ABBA, blaring from the juke in the corner. But what this? Just as he enters, he's tripped and falls face first to the floor, his hair quickly matted down from a cherry Slurpie someone just poured on his head. He looks up at the laughing faces, as a lone tear runs down his cheek.... "I'll get them," he rages inside, "I'll make them wish there never was a Space Invaders!!!! Stupid-heads!!!"

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2009, 00:48.

9. Re: Jack Thompson's Utah Bill Feb 4, 2009, 00:24 Coolone

Mormon's are easy targets for JT's BS.

Not quite, there are some of us who are aware of his shenanigans

When I read the story I was like "well crap, why here!?". Time to find out that senators name and fire off an e-mail or two, I'm going to let my friends know as well.

I liked this quote from the Salt Lake Tribune though: Florida-based wingnut crusader and disbarred* lawyer Jack Thompson apparently has roughed out the bill for Gayle. He writes in the Deseret News:

EDIT: The Tribune also notes that the last time something like this was introduced here, it "went nowhere" and died. I'm hoping for a repeat

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2009, 00:26.

8. Re: HAHAHAHAHAHA Feb 4, 2009, 00:19 Prez

So that all-natural cream really ISN'T going to give me an 18-inch dong?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. HAHAHAHAHAHA Feb 4, 2009, 00:15 Creston

The Truth in Advertising Law? In the United Fucking States? The one country in the world where you can claim the most outrageous bullshit in your advertisements, and nobody ever says a fucking thing about it?

Yeah I'm sure that that's REALLY strictly upheld.

What the fuck ever.

Creston

6. Re: Jack Thompson's Utah Bill Feb 3, 2009, 23:56 Prez

The theory behind the bill isn't terrible. In principle, it makes sense to ensure that the very reasonable ratings system is enforced. The problem comes when you start to look at 2 things.

First, the ambiguous wording. All of the bills of this type have contained terribly vague and woefully inadequate wording, opening the door for myriad abuses of power and infringement upon individual rights through loopholes and different interpretations. This one seems even more so, if you read Thompson's account of what the bill says.

Second, enforcement. Who is supposed to police this? Who regulates it? The whole idea behind the ESRB, and now the ESA, was to prevent government intrusion and regulation of the games industry, which is a private industry. Making a retailer pay a fine for allowing an 8 year-old buy GTA 4 is fine in theory, but do we really want the government sticking their noses in this when they do nothing of the sort for the movie industry?

If we gave some authority to the ESA to do such things, AND all of the retailers bought into it, then that would be one thing. But this being another bill to further extend government's reach into private business where they simply do not belong, I'm against it. I'm much more in favor of educating the parents on the reason for game ratings and stressing that it is not in fact good parenting to buy little johnny an Xbox and sit him down in front of GTA.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2009, 00:04.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Jack Thompson's Utah Bill Feb 3, 2009, 23:50 Billy Bob

Mormon's are easy targets for JT's BS.  

4. Re: Jack Thompson's Utah Bill Feb 3, 2009, 23:47 Ruffiana

You know what...I'm okay with this. Makes sense. If a movie or game is rated R or M, and a business says 'we don't sell adult games to non-adults', maybe they should be held somewhat responsible for doing so.

Not sure it's related to any truth in advertising laws as I can't think of any businesses that actually advertise they don't sell adult content to non-adults...but at least the intent is going in the right direction.

3. Re: Jack Thompson's Utah Bill Feb 3, 2009, 23:38 Prez

Unfortunately, we still have to pay attention to Thompson. He may be psychopath and a blithering idiot, but he is also dangerous. Stupid legislation like this and others need to be brought to light so that they can be countered.

The laughable ambiguity of the bill is one thing, but that a state legislator actually is ready to embrace it and present it to Congress is downright scary.

- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: Jack Thompson's Utah Bill Feb 3, 2009, 22:49 nin

I think the only way Thompson is going to go away is when everyone ignores him and stops reporting on him...no offense, Blue.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Jack Thompson's Utah Bill Feb 3, 2009, 21:58 Narf2029

Well, "former practicing attorney" does sound better than "disbarred asshead."  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo