Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age: Origins PC Delayed

BioWare announces a delay to the Windows edition of Dragon Age: Origins, saying the PC installment is now due in the second half of this year coinciding with the release of the console editions of the role-playing game. They do not offer a reason, but the pronouncement does include reassurances from Dr. Ray Muzyka, who says: "Dragon Age: Origins is shaping up to be quite amazing in its level of quality and polish," going on to say, "Im really proud of our team, who are working very hard to make Dragon Age: Origins the biggest and most exciting BioWare game yet, and we will work to ensure it not only meets, but exceeds the expectations of our loyal audience of fans."

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Dragon Age: Origins PC Delayed Feb 4, 2009, 12:24 Bluesfanboi

No, I mean enemy. Those titles you mentioned are predictable in their offerings, but not comfortable in their play.

Ease of entry, stability, lack of interruption, immersion, nature of content, all of those things taken together when combined and mixed and reproducible is the basis of satisfaction.

EA is unsatisfying at best, sinister and at cross-purposes at worst.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Dragon Age: Origins PC Delayed Feb 4, 2009, 08:20 StingingVelvet

EA is the enemy, friends. How much more obvious does it have to be?

What will it take to get you motivated to make EA irrelevant?

edit: "enemy of what" You rightfully ask. EA is the enemy of timeless art and beauty, EA is the enemy of subtlety and nuance, EA is the enemy of comfortable, predictable repetition, EA is the enemy of fair play.

I'd ask you to prove me wrong, but you would not be able to climb up against the mountain of evidence that supports me.

While I don't think they've overcome the mountain of problems from previous years, they were a lot better over the last year. We got much better ports from the consoles, and the games themsevles were quite unique and innovative a lot of the time, like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge, both of which are easily in my top ten of the year. They also joined Steam, and released a really fun new Red Alert game, with a PC exclusive expansion on the way.

I don't think a delay of Dragon's Age for marketing reasons, as crappy as that is, puts them back in the utterly despised camp... at least for me.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2009, 08:21.

41. Re: Dragon Age: Origins PC Delayed Feb 4, 2009, 03:31 Jerykk

EA is the enemy of comfortable, predictable repetition

Err, did you mean to say "EA is the friend of comfortable, predictable repetition"? Madden, NFS, The Sims, C&C, etc, seem to suggest so.

40. Re: Dragon Age: Origins PC Delayed Feb 4, 2009, 02:31 Bluesfanboi

EA is the enemy, friends. How much more obvious does it have to be?

What will it take to get you motivated to make EA irrelevant?

edit: "enemy of what" You rightfully ask. EA is the enemy of timeless art and beauty, EA is the enemy of subtlety and nuance, EA is the enemy of comfortable, predictable repetition, EA is the enemy of fair play.

I'd ask you to prove me wrong, but you would not be able to climb up against the mountain of evidence that supports me.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2009, 02:34.

39. Re: Dragon Age: Origins PC Delayed Feb 4, 2009, 02:26 Jerykk

Or if the game actually is any good, maybe EA could clue into the fact they'd be generating good press and (word-of-mouth) advertising which could only help the console version's sales.

That's certainly possible. PC gamers generally have higher standards so if DA is met with a mediocre reception on the PC, it might impact hype for the console versions. In addition, if sales charts are any indication, 90% of console game sales seem to stem from hype alone. In any case, this 8 month delay is crap. The game better be completely bug-free since they supposedly they have 8 months to polish it.

38. Re: Dragon Age: Origins PC Delayed Feb 4, 2009, 02:22 PHJF

Great way to lose my sale.

How many games have seen console releases months before a PC release? God forbid the reverse. Sigh.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

37. Re: Dragon Age: Origins PC Delayed Feb 4, 2009, 02:18 Cutter

Or if the game actually is any good, maybe EA could clue into the fact they'd be generating good press and (word-of-mouth) advertising which could only help the console version's sales. So, now it makes me wonder if the game is a complete POS, and they're holding back hoping for one initially good sales push before words gets out too fast that the game is utter crap, and it allows them to recoup some money at the expense of the consumer.

I fucking loathe EA and Bioware for climbing into bed with them.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

36. Re: Dragon Age: Origins PC Delayed Feb 4, 2009, 02:10 Kedyn

Yep, *sigh* gaming is shit these days, why do I bother? I swear if piracy wasn't so easy I would just play CS 1.6 all day.

Wow Caveman, at least you're honest about it. None of this bullshit about "demos" or "just seeing if it works".

35. Re: Dragon Age: Origins PC Delayed Feb 4, 2009, 01:12 Jerykk

Also, does Dragon Age PC differ drastically from its console incarnation? I hope it's not just a new UI and higher res textures.

The PC version is the lead SKU. It was designed for the PC. The console versions will need to have completely revamped controls and interface which is why there's an 8 month delay. They may also be improving the graphics to be more competitive with other console games.

There's a chance that they'll add content and/or features to the console versions that aren't in the PC version. I'd be very disappointed if this was the case but I don't think it's too likely. What you don't have to worry about is this being a console port. Dragon Age PC was designed specifically for the PC so consolitis is not a danger. The PC version is practically done and there's absolutely no reason to consolize it.

34. Re: Dragon Age: Origins PC Delayed Feb 4, 2009, 00:29 Yifes

Well, you can't really blame Bioware for this. It's all EA. And since the PC version is essentially finished, I doubt the console development will have any effect on it.

I guess you're right.

Also, does Dragon Age PC differ drastically from its console incarnation? I hope it's not just a new UI and higher res textures. I don't see how a console can control so many PCs in a tactical RPG game like the old infinity engine games. I'm just worried that it'll be dumbed down like Mass Effect or KOTOR

33. Re: Dragon Age: Origins PC Delayed Feb 4, 2009, 00:19 Jerykk

I would not be surprised if this is the real reason.

I'm sure it is. It's also a slap in the face to PC gamers.

"Hey guys, sorry but we're going to delay your game for 8 months so we can release it at the same time as the console versions. What? Oh, no, the PC version is pretty much finished at this point but hey, we can save money if we market the console versions at the same time."

Publishers don't seem to have any issues with making PC gamers wait for console ports but when a PC game is ported to consoles, suddenly delays become unacceptable.

Also, fuck you bioware, fuck you for making the spiritual successor of BG a multiplatform game.

Well, you can't really blame Bioware for this. It's all EA. And since the PC version is essentially finished, I doubt the console development will have any effect on it. My main gripe is that PC gamers are being forced to suffer such a huge delay purely for marketing reasons.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2009, 00:22.

32. Re: Dragon Age: Origins PC Delayed Feb 4, 2009, 00:19 Creston

So much for that whole PC exclusive deal. And now it's going to get released with the console version at the same time? Yeah, I'm sure this isn't going to get consolized at all...:(

Creston

31. Re: Dragon Age: Origins PC Delayed Feb 4, 2009, 00:18 Yifes

no i understand you caveman, a free shitty game is easier to tolerate than a shitty game you paid money for. i myself don't pirate, but i can understand the perspective.

There you go, justifying piracy, when his whole point was that he's not trying to justify it.

Also, fuck you bioware, fuck you for making the spiritual successor of BG a multiplatform game.

30. Re: Dragon Age: Origins PC Delayed Feb 4, 2009, 00:12 Prez

From a strictly business standpoint, I can see the logic. But I am a fan of games, and I don't usually use my "business sense". My gamer side can't understand why , from what all accounts I've read is virtually a finished game, has to be arbitrarily delayed for 8 months so as to be released with the console version.  

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

29. Re: Dragon Age: Origins PC Delayed Feb 3, 2009, 23:34 necrosis

Now I have to wait 8 months so console kiddies don't feel left out and so EA can save on marketing.
I would not be surprised if this is the real reason.

28. Re: Dragon Age: Origins PC Delayed Feb 3, 2009, 23:04 Jerykk

Actually, now that I think about it more, this delay really annoys me. Dragon Age, if successful, could have convinced more developers to design games for the PC. However, due to this delay, more people will buy the console versions. Disappointing.

That, and I was looking forward to playing the game next month. Now I have to wait 8 months so console kiddies don't feel left out and so EA can save on marketing.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2009, 23:08.

27. Re: Dragon Age: Origins PC Delayed Feb 3, 2009, 21:01 Prez

LOL @ the idiot making stupid generalized and pointless statements.  

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: Dragon Age: Origins PC Delayed Feb 3, 2009, 20:40 Wowbagger_TIP

lol @ all the wah wah console gaming is killing PC posts. Jeez you guys need to get your collective heads out of your asses.
Wow. How can you argue with such incredible insight as that?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

25. Re: Fallout 3 (GOTY) Feb 3, 2009, 20:06 necrosis

There is a reason why Fallout 3 has ended up on numerous respected GOTY (Game of the year) publications & websites.
Im not going to go off on a mega rant about that anymore.

All im gonna say is its amazing how a game gets GOTY when its buggy as fuck.

24. Re: Dragon Age: Origins PC Delayed Feb 3, 2009, 20:00 Karnisov

lol all you people on blues think I try to justify my piracy, I don't. I pirate because I can, simple as that. Don't like it? Bite me, all I have to say really.

no i understand you caveman, a free shitty game is easier to tolerate than a shitty game you paid money for. i myself don't pirate, but i can understand the perspective. i think the last game i bought was Orange Box. 95% of the stuff on the shelf is shit.

"Think for yourself. Question authority."
-- Timothy Leary

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo