Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No PC PoP DLC

Big Download has a confirmation that the Prince of Persia DLC in the works for consoles will not be released on PCs, offering the following quote from Ubisoft's message boards: "Unfortunately for business reasons we won't be seeing any PoP DLC appear. Sorry guys!" There you have it, "business reasons," so there's no reason to take this personally.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: No PC PoP DLC Feb 8, 2009, 21:25 Narf2029

I guess the exchange rates are fair, in a way, even if they suck - Valve's gotta get paid in American dollars and therefore has to price stuff in American prices, even over there. My best guess, anyway. Steam still hasn't quite picked up enough, well, steam to cut out the brick and mortar stores, and so it would seem they price in such a way as to keep retailers from threatening to not stock their products. A raw deal for the rest of the world but if your 18 pound copy still activates on Steam when you get home I guess it could be worse.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: No PC PoP DLC Feb 6, 2009, 07:28 theyarecomingforyou

I don't get it. They're making the content anyway so why not just release it for PC anyway, even if the charge for it? There will surely still be hundreds to thousands of people that will buy it. Ubisoft simply has a pathetic policy on DLC, which is something we saw with Far Cry 2 as well. And I wish they'd stop charging £35 for games on Steam here in the UK - that may convert using exchange rates but ridiculous when they retail for £18 here.

Fuck Ubisoft.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

44. Re: No PC PoP DLC Feb 6, 2009, 03:51 selection7

No, they do things when they think it'll make them money.
True. But that nitpick doesn't affect my point.

No, not really. Suits are generally idiots who have no understanding of the gaming industry or its customers. For example,..
Ok. So now you establish that the suits make mistakes. Some of your examples may be debatable, but that's unimportant since we agree they make mistakes. But, and let's be clear about this, you aren't just saying that the suits make mistakes, you are saying that they make so many mistakes as to be widely incompetent. I'm guessing you're not a fiscal conservative, since you don't believe in the basis of a free market. You are also saying, you believe your uneducated, Monday morning QB self is more competent, not just on issues that gamers would have insight into, but on almost purely business issues even when you have none of the stats for research and you know they do. ...not just to the extent of thinking you are right, but to the extent of not having even a small part of you that recognizes they could know better than you. I'm fine with you standing on your position and long as you are willing to admit to the world right here as you do it that the preceding is true. You could be right. Of course the average person will think you are a megalomaniac.

43. Re: No PC PoP DLC Feb 5, 2009, 12:16 Jerykk

There might be new code, there might be lots of new code.

I really don't see any reason why there would be. They aren't upgrading the engine or making significant changes to any of the game's core systems. Everything I've seen in the previews is asset-based. In fact, I think the new move and enemy are only going to be in the DLC so I don't think there will even be any effect on the original game. Ubisoft has stated the DLC playtime as 3 hours, so testers will likely be able to do a full playthrough in less than an hour. Ad hoc testing would be also be minimal, as the assets would be the same across all platforms.

Admittedly today's consoles are more like PCs than previous generations, but I'm not sure what you're basing that on (see conjecture, above).

I'm basing it on experience in multiplatform game development. There's a distinct difference between code and assets. DLC is usually 100% assets. Assets include textures, models, levels, scripting, animations, etc. These things are the same across platforms. If an asset is broken on 360, it'll be broken on PS3 and PC too. Since PoP's code was already ported to the PC with the original game, this DLC won't require nearly as much testing. For example, FO3 and Oblivion DLC never required a new exe. They were completely asset-based. I see no reason why PoP DLC would be any different.

So, once again, I see no good reason why they wouldn't release the DLC on PC. Porting a bunch of 360 assets to the PC is easy. Testing them on the PC is easy. As evidenced on the PoP forums, the PC PoP fanbase is willing to pay for the DLC. Seems like a no brainer.

42. Re: No PC PoP DLC Feb 4, 2009, 18:22 Tango

So there's really no good, logical reason why they wouldn't release the DLC for PC. It's simply a poor business decision.
Uh, except the whole preceding paragraph about the cost of the port being low on account of content / testing is just your conjecture. There might be new code, there might be lots of new code. Porting the code might be easy, it might not be. But you don't know. The fact that they have done it before might make it easier, it might make little difference. Again, unless you're on the PoP development team, I expect you don't know.

If it works on 360 and PS3, there's a very, very good chance it works on PC too
Uh, do you really think so? Admittedly today's consoles are more like PCs than previous generations, but I'm not sure what you're basing that on (see conjecture, above). Certainly the possible variety of hardware combinations on users' PCs makes it considerably more tricky from a testing. If they don't bother about testing on the basis that they tested the original port, then the PC gamer crowd will be the first to piss and moan if something doesn't work.

So there's really no good, logical reason why they wouldn't release the DLC for PC. It's simply a poor business decision.
That's just an assertion, and again it's unsupportable except by your conjecture. Console ports are very rarely well received by the (particularly fussy) PC gamer market. There's always moaning if consoles get it first and PCs later. They have to be done absolutely right if they're going to please people enough to persuade them to pay for it (I'm not getting into the piracy argument, but I understand it as a consideration of the Ubisoft suits, even if it is an exaggerated / misplaced one). My guess is that DLC didn't sell as well as hoped on consoles, so they have chosen the 100% certainty of not losing money versus the less than 100% certainty of making a profit.

I should add that the above is all conjecture of my own, but I don't claim it to be anything else. Maybe you're right, maybe you're not - that's my point.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2009, 18:24.

41. Re: No PC PoP DLC Feb 4, 2009, 18:09 Tango

It doesn't really matter what excuse they use, the fact remains that not releasing it on PC will not make them money.
If they released DLC on the PC, there would be a good chance that the costs of doing so would outweigh the number of people who bought it. This is especially the case given piracy.

I'm not saying this argument is waterproof, but the fact remains that not releasing it on PC will ensure they don't lose money. And these days, unfortunately, the certainty of avoiding a loss is worth more than the possibility of making a profit.

40. Re: No PC PoP DLC Feb 4, 2009, 15:54 dryden555

look at it from their POV -- profits from console sales of the DLC will overwhelm whatever $$ they make with the PC version of the DLC. Not happy to say that, but its true. They are looking at the bottom line in the current economic climate  

39. Re: No PC PoP DLC Feb 4, 2009, 12:31 morose

Ubi execs openly said that PoP was a test for the viability of releasing non-DRM'd PC games in the current market (aka with high piracy rates) vs. sticking to consoles or DRMing the crap out of PC releases. My guess? Their numbers showed what many expected. Piracy high, and sales low. Now again, that's a guess... but it would make sense. Why release content for a game on a platform where most folks didn't buy it legitimately?  

38. Re: No PC PoP DLC Feb 3, 2009, 23:22 Jerykk

But surely you realise the basis of the free market is that businesses do things when it makes them money and don't when it won't.

No, they do things when they think it'll make them money. If businesses only did things that actually made them money, no business would ever go out of business.

Somehow there has to be a part of you that acknowledges maybe these guys have a better idea of whether it will make them money than you could.

No, not really. Suits are generally idiots who have no understanding of the gaming industry or its customers. For example, suits are the ones who think it's a great move to delay a PC port of a console game for months and then blame pirates when it doesn't sell as well as the console versions. Suits are the ones who don't realize that the bestselling PC games are the ones that are designed for the PC. Suits are the ones who don't think it's necessary to spend any money on marketing for PC games. Suits are the ones who thought that DX10 would sell Vista. Suits are the ones who thought that making Halo 2 and Shadowrun Vista-exclusives would sell Vista. Suits are the ones who thought that releasing the PC ports of Halo, Fable, Halo 2 and Jade Empire years after the console releases was a wise move. Suits are the ones who thought it was clever to farm out the PC port of RE4 to some crappy third-party developer in China. I can keep going and going but I think you get my point.

As history shows, having a degree from business school isn't going to make you a genius in the gaming industry.

37. Re: No PC PoP DLC Feb 3, 2009, 21:45 everyone

It's really Ubisoft's fault that PoP was a disaster of a production. "Business reasons" simply means they made a bad game, at least for the PC market. This is a console game. It's far too dumbed down for PC gamers, and the ratings and reviews show it.

I'm not really disappointed, since what this game needs isn't DLC. What it needs is a content overhaul, and some fairly major gameplay refinements. The only real thing they've got going for them is that somewhat interesting graphic treatment they created. Once you tire of the simplistic gameplay (which doesn't take long), however, any "ooh's" or "ahh's" induced from the cartoony graphics quickly fade as well. Shame, really. They should have stuck to the series' roots. They should have just tried to make the game really good, instead of pandering to the less sophisticated console and "casual" gamers out there. The way they handled it, they alienated at least 80% of the PC market.

DLC or no DLC, the game is still really flawed.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2009, 21:46.

36. Re: No PC PoP DLC Feb 3, 2009, 19:11 selection7

So basically, "I don't know". At least you're honest. And that's certainly hypothetically possible. But surely you realise the basis of the free market is that businesses do things when it makes them money and don't when it won't. After all, some suits will practically kill of their aging grandma for an extra Christmas bonus, so isn't a little odd that they would knowingly leave money on the table? The rule of thumb is that if they can't make back 15% more than they spend, it's not worth their time. Somehow there has to be a part of you that acknowledges maybe these guys have a better idea of whether it will make them money than you could.

35. Re: No PC PoP DLC Feb 3, 2009, 17:39 Ray Marden

So, in summary, screw PC gamers? Even more saddening when you consider the origins of PoP.

The reviews seemed above average and it's been awhile since I have played a PoP game (I love the original, but these new versions always make one mistake or another); I was planning on purchasing this next time I saw it on sale somewhere.

But now? My wanting to play it on the superior PC platform, but getting a watered down version? Because of "business reasons?"
I guess that explains the faults, too, right? "Minimal effort?"
Well, I will not be purchasing this game period due to "@ssh*l* reasons."

Remembering when games were games, not DLC platforms :|,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

34. Re: No PC PoP DLC Feb 3, 2009, 17:12 Grooves

I knew there was another reason hanging out there that I don't like console devs.

Why in the world would you not provide DLC to the HIGHEST network enabled install base available?

33. Re: No PC PoP DLC Feb 3, 2009, 11:50 KilrathiAce

UBI should be careful, while they are one of the few if not only video game companies that still made profit in last qr of last year, this doesn't mean it will remain that way.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

32. Re: No PC PoP DLC Feb 3, 2009, 07:11 nutshell42

This is just mindblowingly stupid.

The successful game companies on the PC show again and again that the solution is continued support and additional content.

Ubisoft OTOH went through the (expensive - porting DLC should be almost free) effort to do the original port and now just leaves the PC hanging even though PC games - with the support mentioned above - can keep selling a lot longer than console games.

31. Re: No PC PoP DLC Feb 3, 2009, 04:07 Jerykk

Developers locking out an entire group of gamers is somewhat depressing to me.

Agreed. I know that Microsoft likes to bribe developers to make 360-exclusive DLC but from a long-term business standpoint, is it really worth pissing off customers who bought the other versions? In the case of PoP, the forum post acknowledges that there's demand from PC PoP players for the DLC. Yet somehow, despite this demand, Ubisoft considers it wise not to make this DLC available for the PC. Simply baffling.

30. Re: No PC PoP DLC Feb 3, 2009, 03:32 Prez

3 hours is about 30% of the original game's length so that's relatively substantial too. I'm pretty sure many PC gamers would be willing to pay $10 for this.

Maybe. Maybe not. The point is, it would be nice to have the choice. Developers locking out an entire group of gamers is somewhat depressing to me.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

29. Re: No PC PoP DLC Feb 3, 2009, 03:17 Jerykk

So, #26, exactly what IS the reason they aren't releasing PC DLC if it's not because they don't think they can get enough PC users to pay for it for it to be worth their time?

You'd have to ask Ubisoft. The logic of suits often confounds me. I can only assume that they believe that piracy of the PC DLC would cannibalize sales of the console DLC. Of course, that belief is completely unfounded but fact and reason rarely play a role in stupid business decisions.

I've read some arguments that the sales of the PC DLC wouldn't justify the production costs but I think the people making these arguments don't fully grasp the realities of development. Firstly, the PC DLC would just be a port of the console DLC. It's not like they'd create all new content just for the PC. Secondly, the new content is entirely asset-based. They've already ported the code with the original port, all they have to do now is port the new assets. That's a pretty simple task. Testing is also simple, as asset-related bugs are almost always cross-platform. If it works on 360 and PS3, there's a very, very good chance it works on PC too. Thirdly, the console DLC has to go through certification by Sony and MS. This means it's going to be tested very rigorously. The PC version, on the other hand, doesn't have to go through any certification. The amount of testing on the PC version would likely be far less than the testing on the console versions.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2009, 03:25.

28. Re: No PC PoP DLC Feb 3, 2009, 03:02 Optimaximal

So, #26, exactly what IS the reason they aren't releasing PC DLC if it's not because they don't think they can get enough PC users to pay for it for it to be worth their time? I'm not hearing any alternative theories...only what amounts to either "nuh UH!" or "Fine, I didn't want that DLC anyway".
Did you just miss, oh, the entire thread about their lack of ability to monetise it and the obvious rampant piracy?

27. Re: No PC PoP DLC Feb 3, 2009, 02:56 selection7

So, #26, exactly what IS the reason they aren't releasing PC DLC if it's not because they don't think they can get enough PC users to pay for it for it to be worth their time? I'm not hearing any alternative theories...only what amounts to either "nuh UH!" or "Fine, I didn't want that DLC anyway".  

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo