Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hellgate: London R.I.P.

Hellgate: London Website now returns a DNS error, so while there have been recent indications the game might continue in free-to-play form, it looks like Flagship Studios' action/RPG is out of action for now. The Hellgate Guru Forums have a write up of the last days of the game, and there's a bit more on the closure on Hellforge. Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Hellgate: London R.I.P. Feb 3, 2009, 14:00 dryden555

Remember several years ago when investors thought cash-cow MMO's like WOW were easy to make and then the $$ would roll in?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Hellgate: London R.I.P. Feb 2, 2009, 22:50 The Half Elf

Actually Best Buy is the king of leaving crap on their shelfs. Saw the same thing with Tabula Rasa.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

30. Re: Hellgate: London R.I.P. Feb 2, 2009, 22:07 Prez

Hello? Remember Hellgate? A Hellgate thread and you guys aren't even commenting on how it sucked, how the subscription model was greed-driven lunacy, and how Bill Roper should never be allowed to design a game again?

WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE!?!?!?!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

29. Re: Hellgate: London R.I.P. Feb 2, 2009, 22:02 Beamer

Also, to the incoherent New Zealander with no control of the English language: no. The farmers were claiming that they had "unknowingly" been adding the melamine to fool dairies as to the protein content.

And I think you question whether that's happened here in the US. No, it has not. I can assure you of that.

But great nationalism. I bet you accuse the US of it, eh? Probably a hypocrite as well as an illiterate.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

28. Re: Hellgate: London R.I.P. Feb 2, 2009, 21:59 Beamer

Uh, don't forget that the douchebags that did that in China have been sentenced to death. In America they *might* get a prison sentence. Look at the white collar criminals who regularly get away with bilking people for millions, if not billions and get away with less than a slap on the wrist (a fine and some probabtion, oooh real harsh!) - or even a bailout!

So stealing millions is comparable to killing infants?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

-------------

27. Re: Hellgate: London R.I.P. Feb 2, 2009, 21:21 Prez

I don't know how we got on the subject of China and the death penalty, but I wanted to say that I am actually kind of interested in seeing the game get taken over by an enthusiast group, fixed up, and released as a free to play game. I would definitely buy it - I'm sure it can't be too expensive.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2009, 21:25.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: Hellgate: London R.I.P. Feb 2, 2009, 20:20 Cutter

Uh, don't forget that the douchebags that did that in China have been sentenced to death. In America they *might* get a prison sentence. Look at the white collar criminals who regularly get away with bilking people for millions, if not billions and get away with less than a slap on the wrist (a fine and some probabtion, oooh real harsh!) - or even a bailout!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

25. Re: Hellgate: London R.I.P. Feb 2, 2009, 19:09 LittleMe

I agree, but this is how America works. The biggest rip off nation that cares not for the consumer.

Intolerance and prejudice combined with a quick 'jump to conclusions' mindset. LOL You know, its likely that Best Buy (or most retailers) would refund your money considering the game is non functional now. We do have consumer protection laws here and I'm sure a judge would rule against BB if they didn't refund money. That's what the legal system is for.

But no, blame America!!! All those bastards are scum!

Perpetual debt is slavery.

24. Re: Hellgate: London R.I.P. Feb 2, 2009, 18:55 Cram

Post #23. Got a good laugh out of that. Blame the United States and Capitalism for everything wrong that happens in other countries. Who cares about accountability when we can just blame the United States and the American Way of Life. As a Canadian, there is plenty of hilarious rivalries between our two countries but I won't blame them because my local Canadian owned store is selling a product that now advertises incorrect information on the box and the store does nothing about it. Simplifing down the fact that greed overcomes accountability, and blaming that fact on the US alone is frankly the stupidest thing I've ever tried to comprehend.

This thread needs more Melamine. Bill Roper, however, has had enough.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2009, 18:56.

23. Re: Hellgate: London R.I.P. Feb 2, 2009, 18:43 Kosumo

Hey, remember all those times that infants died in China because the factories were cutting corners by putting toxic melamine in the milk as a substitute for actual protein?

As a person from the Waikato, New Zealand, born and still living with in 5 km of the biggest dairy factory in the south hemisphare. (don't worry, I've travelled around the globe a few times) And having many friends who work/live/own dairy farms, and with the big player being Fonterra who had hundreds of millions based in the china dairy industry.

I fell I can safely inform you that at no times where the factories adding melamine into any produce due to the fact that they where procesing the roar produce and that in fact it was a very very few middle men that profit from taking milk (weak, as in standard %4.5 protein, as in still fine, good milk) in low amounts i.e 50-100 liters form small farmers with like 10 cows (here one person run's ~200 cows) and adding in melamine that would make the protein reading higher (as a dairy farmer, you are paid by the fat content/protein, not yield) does not make china the great evil that some would hope.

Can you show me any evidence that this as not every happen in your great country cos I believe that it has any time when there is a dollar to be made ---- it's the American way, no?

22. Re: Hellgate: London R.I.P. Feb 2, 2009, 18:35 Nate

Hellgate was released in worse-than-beta form.

I was only in the Hellgate beta. How was the release worse than the beta?

No surprise the game tanked, gameplay wasn't that fun. Simulating a FPS doesn't produce the fun of a FPS. Hellgate, Tabula Rasa...

21. Re: Hellgate: London R.I.P. Feb 2, 2009, 18:29 Krovven

I posted about this before...but yes, the retail outlets are brutal about dead games. During the holidays they all had excess stock piled on the shelves for Tabula Rasa (abundant CE's), Auto Assault and Hellgate London, all price $30 or $40.

All I can say is...buyer beware.

Sadly (and it's wrong), this is not the retailers responsibility. They bought the product, Publishers are not going to buy it back...so the retailers are going to try and get some money back on the product they bought.

20. Re: Hellgate: London R.I.P. Feb 2, 2009, 18:11 Beamer

The biggest rip off nation that cares not for the consumer.

You've never left your basement, let alone visited another country, have you?

Try going to a developing nation and see if you can reread what you typed without cringing.

Hey, remember all those times that infants died in China because the factories were cutting corners by putting toxic melamine in the milk as a substitute for actual protein?
Man, that has NOTHING on Best Buy not being informed that the multiplayer component of a game with a great deal of single-player content has been nuked.
Man, it sure does suck to be a consumer in America!!!!!!!!!

Idiot.

-------------

19. Re: Hellgate: London R.I.P. Feb 2, 2009, 18:08 Icewind

They aren't aware that the game servers are down, and probably don't care. I'd guess the games have been sitting on the shelf for a long time now. Not everyone follows video game news.

A little off-topic, but I believe they should. Granted, Best Buy floor salespeople probably aren't paid very much, but they should at least be aware of gaming, music, movie and technology news. Grabbing a few RSS feeds from sites like (god forbid) Kotaku, Destructoid, and Evil Avatar could keep them well fed with info.

7 of my RSS feeds picked up on this story today. It seems to be big news, for some odd reason.

Just my opinion on the matter.

18. Re: Hellgate: London R.I.P. Feb 2, 2009, 17:51 Kxmode

"I really think we should put one more bullet in its brain just to, you know, make sure its dead!"

17. Re: Hellgate: London R.I.P. Feb 2, 2009, 17:48 beigemore

Well yeah, that totally refutes the point that Best Buy is still selling them.

They aren't aware that the game servers are down, and probably don't care. I'd guess the games have been sitting on the shelf for a long time now. Not everyone follows video game news.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2009, 17:48.

16. Re: Hellgate: London R.I.P. Feb 2, 2009, 17:37 Cutter

Did Bill Roper mac your Mom or something? Sheesh you'd think the guy was Hitler.

A) Bill probably did. He's the kind of douchebag that'd do that as evidenced by Hellgate.

B) Not Hitler, but maybe Himmler, or Goebbels or one of those assholes.

C) Champions Online is fucked now - if it ever had a chance at all. Serves you right for giving that twat a paying job, Cryptic.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

15. Re: Hellgate: London R.I.P. Feb 2, 2009, 17:21 Overon

Rest in peace? More like burn in hell.  

14. Re: Hellgate: London R.I.P. Feb 2, 2009, 16:59 Cram

And before Roper tucked tail and ran to Cryptic, he spent months denying that there was anything wrong with the game. He denied there were memory leak problems. He denied the product was rushed. They went Nazi on the Hellgate forums, banning people left right and center for speaking poorly of the game. The game was basically abandoned @ release, left for a couple programmers to single handedly make new content and fix the 10000 bugs, while the rest of Flagship focused on Mythos (which, at flagships development speed of the beta, would have been released sometime in 2019).

I am thankful Hellgate tanked. If it had been even remotely successful, it would have opened the floodgates for other companies to follow Flagships business model and attach high monthly fees to get the most basic garbage content for a pre-beta game fail.

13. Re: Hellgate: London R.I.P. Feb 2, 2009, 16:28 Free Mumra

"Plenty of good game devs make stinkers in their careers."

There's a big difference between a bad game and Hellgate: London.

Hellgate was released in worse-than-beta form. It was a bad copy of Diablo with the kind of monthly fee (not to mention the absurd $150 "lifetime" fee) that is usually reserved for true open world MMOs. On top of that, they were planning on putting ads in the game. They were very obviously more worried about milking as much money as possible out of Hellgate than they were about turning it into a finished product. When it became clear that it was a complete failure, Bill Roper abandoned it and immediately got a job at Cryptic working on Champions Online without formally apologizing to his customers for the mess he helped create.

This is what makes the bile rise up in people's throats at the mere mention of his name.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo