Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I've never been a huge fan of the two-week gap before the Super Bowl, I think the change in schedule is one of thing things that leads to sloppy play as teams lose their normal rhythm. Another thing that bothers me is how late the game runs, since much partying is done in conjunction with the game. So I'm thinking the solution to the latter problem may be in the former complaint: If they are going to wait an extra week for the game, why not have it on Saturday night, rather than Sunday? Moving the game up a day wouldn't harm preparation, as the teams would still have 13 days to prepare, but it would give partiers a Sunday to recover before resuming the work week, and a better excuse to allow youngsters to stay yup late to watch with no school the next day. I'm guessing this could never happen, if for no other reason than the term "Super Bowl Sunday" is almost a brand at this point, but I think playing the game today rather than tomorrow would be a move in the right direction.

Saturday Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Escape From Kilmainham.
The Tower Flash Games.
Links: Games You Wished Existed.
Stories: Clots Thicken Neolithic Murder Mystery. CSI: Bedrock.
January 31 the year's biggest night for first dates.
Science: Tadpoles may hold cancer clue.
Mammoth-killing comet questioned.
Rising Acidity Threatens Oceans.
Media: Batman gets pwned.
Can you belieeeeeeeeeeeve we get paid to play video games.
Bunch of kittens riding Roomba (and falling off).
Follow-ups: 'Green' light bulb fears rejected.
New Look at Food Safety After Peanut Tainting.
Cloned Pets- Looks Can Be Deceiving.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2009, 12:24  Blue 

a sunday bowl means more revenue for the host city imho

I thought of that after posting that idea, and then thought of a solution, which is not to care. The host city will still make a profit, and this may harm tourism and such, but I don't think that outweighs the upsides to the rest of us by moving the game up to Saturday: It's not like they would move the game and cities would stop bidding to be the host.

But like I say, I do not imagine they actually will move the game, and the reason you mention is probably part of why.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2009, 05:59 xx

a sunday bowl means more revenue for the host city imho. if it was on sat vacationers would be tempted to try and leave sunday night to go back to work on monday. if you are gonna miss work on monday you kinda say to yourself you may as well stretch out the vacation.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2009, 02:16 PHJF

There's a benchmark of sorts for the upcoming PC release of The Last Remnant.

http://dl.square-enix.co.jp/remnant/jp/TheLastRemnantBenchmark.zip

If the benchmark is any indication, the PC version will not suffer the debilitating performance issues of the 360.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2009, 02:04 Cutter

Blue, you forget that everyone hates Monday anyway, so SBS is a great excuse to take a vacation/sick day on a Monday anyway. And I don't mind the bye-week that much.

Watched Max Payne.............not really impressed.....

I think the phrase you're looking for is, "it sucked".

Batman get's Pwned - heh, not bad.

Games you wish existed - heh always love these things on Something Awful. My 3 faves out of that lot would have to be.

1. Planescape Sigil MMORPG - man that'd be sweet.
2. Starwars Battlfront - Ewok Massacre - sweeter still!
3. Scarlett Johanssen's Sleep Over - Oh yeah, I'm totally there. Something about that girl....mmm, you don't get lips like that by sucking lemons!

P.S. Go Cards!

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 2009, 02:04.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2009, 22:10 xXBatmanXx

Watched Max Payne.............not really impressed.....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2009, 19:10 AnarKane

Doesn't bother me one way or the other, I have to work during it. After all, someone's gotta make the pizzas.  
"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2009, 16:45 xXBatmanXx

but....but...but....THEN IT WOULDN'T BE SUPER BOWL SUNDAY!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2009, 16:03 Marvin T. Martian

I've been advocating a Saturday Night SUPER BOWL for years.
And have an 8:00 PM(or even better 9:00 PM) kick off as well.
It's just riduclous to have the game on a Sunday Night. But it's not about the fans--it's about revenue.

5. Re: Games You Wished Existed. Jan 31, 2009, 14:52 xmb1121

They went to Sunday Night Football from Monday Night Football, which was also a venerable brand name, so why the f not?  

4. Games You Wished Existed. Jan 31, 2009, 14:17 skyguy

5 million smileys for "Calvinball 09."

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2009, 13:40 MTechnik

I think next year they are going to move the pro-bowl to the city the superbowl is at, then have it the week before.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2009, 13:20 WarPig

I think that's a great idea Blue. I've always hated the two week layoff also (next year they're playing the Pro Bowl during the off-week... whoop-de-dooo). The only idea I like better than your Saturday night game idea is turning the Monday after into a National Holiday.

GO SEAHAWKS!

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2009, 13:07 Dan =0)

One minor addition to that would be that "Super Bowl Saturday" doesn't quite roll off the tongue as nicely as "Super Bowl Sunday". Not that I watch it as much for the sports as I do for the commercials.... *ducks*

Dan =0)

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo