Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

UT3 Gets Steamy

Valve announces that owners of the Windows edition of Unreal Tournament 3 may now register their game with Steam, which will add automatic updates, a number of new features, and over 50 Steamworks achievements: "In preparation for the massive update coming for Unreal Tournament 3, those who own a retail copy may now register it with Steam, free of charge. The latest installment in the legendary online action series from Epic will be updated automatically via Steam and introduce support for Steamworks Achievements (with over 50 Achievements), plus a host of new features and enhancements in AI, Server Browsing, Demo Recording, Mod Support, and more. For more information or to register your copy of UT3 with Steam, please visit www.steamgames.com."

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: UT3 Gets Steamy Jan 31, 2009, 19:18 IQ

"Perhaps it's worth it to Valve just to get more people signed who might then use paid features. "

Well until the make a proper interface, and not one designed for 10 year olds with perfect eyesight. I can't read their shit, and they can't be bothered to fix it (which is a hell of an outrage since they already skin the crap) - so screw them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: UT3 Gets Steamy Jan 31, 2009, 13:01 Elricsi

I just added my UT3 copy to my steam games, and it made me download the whole thing. But the good news is my downloaded packs and maps are still right in the game.

Looking forward to the update, achievements and new pack.

35. Re: UT3 Gets Steamy Jan 30, 2009, 07:26 Muscular Beaver

But it's a ricer civic!

Thats even worse.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

34. Re: UT3 Gets Steamy Jan 30, 2009, 05:36 Dr. D. Schreber

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 30, 2009, 07:40.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

33. Re: UT3 Gets Steamy Jan 30, 2009, 05:24 LittleMe

After CliffyB's massive butthurt over Gears and PCs and videocards as an indicator of end-user tech level and maliciousness, UT3 is pretty much the last of Epic I think I'll ever see; it pleases me to no end that they're still supporting the game despite the completely unfair backlash it's gotten since day one.

Observe the peculiar pleasure you derive from being unhappy. Observe the compulsion to talk or think about it. This is the emotional 'pain body.'

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

32. Re: UT3 Gets Steamy Jan 30, 2009, 05:21 LittleMe

Armengar, you don't need the CD/DVD in the drive to play UT3 without Steam anyway. No you don't need to redownload the game.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

31. Re: UT3 Gets Steamy Jan 30, 2009, 05:12 Armengar

Simple question (cant be bothered searching) if it is registered, do you then get to redownload in from steam or do you need to use the CD. Also if it is registered do you need the CD in the drawer still?

I use steam at home, work, second flat on account of me moving about. I love steam for the ability of not needing to cart around CDs to play games wherever I am at (and not having to lug a heavy laptop with decent graphics card!)

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

30. Re: UT3 Gets Steamy Jan 30, 2009, 02:55 Dr. D. Schreber

After CliffyB's massive butthurt over Gears and PCs and videocards as an indicator of end-user tech level and maliciousness, UT3 is pretty much the last of Epic I think I'll ever see; it pleases me to no end that they're still supporting the game despite the completely unfair backlash it's gotten since day one.  

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

29. Re: UT3 Gets Steamy Jan 30, 2009, 00:29 Zyrxil

Now they need to put it on sale for a steam weekend, and I'll bite.

You know it was available for $9.99 during the Christmas sale, right? They even ran out of CD-Keys at one point.

28. Re: UT3 Gets Steamy Jan 30, 2009, 00:28 Alex Sledge

I was all excited about this, went and dug out the manual, got the key... type type type.... This Game Has Already Been Activated.

Weird, I went to my games list, and there it sat, 100% ready.

So either this isn't really "new" (it's been long enough I can't remember when I last played UT3), or something automagical went on in under 2 seconds to migrate my retail installed copy into Steam.

Either way - no complaints.

27. Re: UT3 Gets Steamy Jan 29, 2009, 23:55 StreetPreacher

@necrosis: Go check the folder properties and make sure that the "Read Only" attribute is disabled (incl. all files and sub-directories). I think this fixes that problem.  

26. Re: UT3 Gets Steamy Jan 29, 2009, 23:54 Overon

My attention span for multiplayer games is practically nonexistent after playing Tribes. It's like driving a Ferrari and then being forced to drive a Civic.
But it's a ricer civic!

25. Re: UT3 Gets Steamy Jan 29, 2009, 23:34 Jerykk

I may actually get UT3 now... but probably not. My attention span for multiplayer games is practically nonexistent after playing Tribes. It's like driving a Ferrari and then being forced to drive a Civic.  

24. Re: UT3 Gets Steamy Jan 29, 2009, 23:19 necrosis

Files copied...
Integrity check OK...

Steam - Error
This game is currently unavailable.
Please try again another time.

Angry

23. Re: UT3 Gets Steamy Jan 29, 2009, 23:15 theyarecomingforyou

I agree. I love Steam but it shouldn't be mandatory.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

22. Re: UT3 Gets Steamy Jan 29, 2009, 23:09 Bluesfanboi

UT3 + Optional Steam = Good

Empire + Mandatory Steam = Bad

See the difference?

21. Re: UT3 Gets Steamy Jan 29, 2009, 22:55 necrosis

@StreetPreacher

Many thanks!

20. Re: UT3 Gets Steamy Jan 29, 2009, 22:54 [THA] Hamst3r

I've thought it would be great to be able to register a store bought game on Steam and be able to download it in the future and such like. The problem I saw was that there's nothing in it for Valve to justify the bandwidth

Unless they kept track of how many retail copies were activated in Steam...and they could then bill the publisher for that cost (or partial cost) as if the game were purchased through Steam. Sounds reasonable to me.

- The Hamster Alliance
http://www.hamsteralliance.com/ (music)

http://twitter.com/hamst3r | http://www.facebook.com/hamsteralliance | http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance

19. Re: UT3 Gets Steamy Jan 29, 2009, 22:49 StreetPreacher

@necrosis: You don't have to re-download it all. You can copy your UT3 files over to the appropriate Steam folder, and then tell it to "Verify integrity of game cache."

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664290

18. Re: UT3 Gets Steamy Jan 29, 2009, 22:27 RP

Valve is successful precisely because it's a privately-held company. There's an interview with a Valve that mentions how Yahoo and a few other big companies laughed when Valve initially floated the Steam idea. So they did it themselves and are making gobs of money.

The only thing Valve can possibly get from public ownership is more money, but they lose a lot of creative freedom. Would "Valve time" float with a publicly-held company?

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo