Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Secret World Redesign

IncGamers has some details about changes in direction planned for The Secret World, Funcom's secretive upcoming MMOG. They hear from designer Ragnar Tørnquist, who says they are happy with their graphics, but are revisiting the story: "to link everything thematically, to emphasise the importance of the story, to add contrast and drama and spectacle, to create a world that people will want to experience and live in. Permanently." He also comments that they don't want the game to be considered "a WoW clone," which may hint at the reasons for the redesign. He describes their goal: "We’re going to play up the strengths of our universe and differentiate ourselves in both the setting and the gameplay - and particularly in how players can become exactly who they want to be, their secret selves, both visually and in terms of powers."

View
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

3. Re: The Secret World Redesign Jan 28, 2009, 17:25 BubbleMage

Permanently?

Uh... no.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: The Secret World Redesign Jan 28, 2009, 15:16 Fion

I disagree, I think it's very good news. To me it says they don't want to make another big budget MMOG that falls over itself because it's not complete and it's design is somewhat shoddy like AoC.

That they want to make something unique and not just another WoW clone (which arguably, despite it's real time combat, AoC is in many ways a WoW clone,) is a fantastic decision. If anything this makes me even more eager to see more info on this game.

Funcom is one of my favorite MMOG companies. I enjoyed AoC for a fair while (including months of beta testing, from october to release in june.) I adored Anarchy Online, IMHO by far their best game. Hopefully TSW will be more AO then AoC, though I'm sure it'll be unique and creative.

That and I'd love to see a return of the complex MMOG. We've not had one since Eve and I really miss it. We've had a few 'deep' MMOGs, like LotRO, but nothing with any kind of complexity. WoW and it's clones are far to 'easy mode' as my nephew would say. Complexity is king IMHO and I hope RT agrees with me.

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2009, 15:20.

1. Re: The Secret World Redesign Jan 28, 2009, 13:40 Cutter

That doesn't bode well. Not well at all. Maybe Funcom should try getting the design process out of the way before they build they game.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo