Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Dead Space Postmortem

The Dead Space Postmortem on Crispy Gamer is an interview with Chuck "Real Name" Beaver, producer on the horror-themed shooter. They discuss the game's difficult beginning, the removal of cutscenes, chapters, boss battles, the anonymity of your avatar, the creepy music, their reaction to reviews and sales figures, and more. Will there be a Dead Space sequel? Chuck says: "We'll see. I hope so."

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 28, 2009, 15:13 Cram

Enjoyed this game immensely on the 360. Agreed, however, on an earlier point that RE4 wins for sheer awesomeness and variety.

I wish I had played DS on an HDTV, would have been even better. Hoping for another one, but this time with more variety in locations/setting. The ship was very well designed, but still the majority of the game took place on one ship/location (Doom 3 Syndrome). It was both refreshing and a relief during the endgame with the change in location.

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2009, 15:15.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 28, 2009, 13:39 Muscular Beaver

No doubt its a pretty good game (note: I didnt say PC game). But I just cant keep playing with this fucked up mouse sensitivity. I already had to battle with the stupid mouse button assignment, but I just cant seem to get the sensitivity working.

Oh yeah, one question: Whats the default assignment on the right mouse button? Im asking because I had to replace it by force with my mouse driver and now I cant remember if I replaced anything important with it.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

21. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 28, 2009, 13:17 Prez

mouse controls in game are "by design", as admitted by the game designers themselves, sluggish to "match the console experience"

See, that's what I read too, and was like WTF?!?!?! What kind of lazy ass BS excuse is THAT?! I never tried the game, but the thought of nerfing the game's controls so they are not superior to the consoles pisses me off to no end.

I don't care too much about it being a console port, but that makes it sound like a half-assed console port.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 28, 2009, 12:43 Yifes

This game was much more console-ish than anything else. 3rd person, the config layout, everything. Absolutely console. If I wanted to play games like this one, I would've bought an xcox or a lamestation. Really.

3rd person is fine. It's awesome and bloody intense to see yourself getting killed in various gruesome ways. That sort of body horror is hard to convey in first person.

The controls and config is fine. The in game hud is actually pretty cool. It's your loss that your ridiculous bias against consoles prevent you from enjoying a great game.

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2009, 12:55.

19. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 28, 2009, 12:37 Dmitri_M

the HUD is way too sensitive instead.

Uhm, only the main menu, do you spend a lot of time there?

18. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 28, 2009, 12:36 Agent.X7

the interviewer of the article is an idiot -- sounds like he is 15 years old.
http://www.crispygamer.com/bios/about-scott-jones.aspx

His bio says he's 38 and has a B.A. in English Lit. Go figure...

Bush had a degree too, didn't seem to make him look any smarter.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

17. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 28, 2009, 12:30 El Pit

Guys, seriously, you whine about EVERY other game being lousy console ports. But this one isn't?

This game was much more console-ish than anything else. 3rd person, the config layout, everything. Absolutely console. If I wanted to play games like this one, I would've bought an xcox or a lamestation. Really.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

16. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 28, 2009, 12:11 the_culture

http://www.crispygamer.com/bios/about-scott-jones.aspx

His bio says he's 38 and has a B.A. in English Lit. Go figure...

15. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 28, 2009, 12:10 Yifes

unless the aiming is screwed up or are the developers just incompetent, so they hide bad AI, with bad aiming?

A lot of PC games lower mouse sensitivity when you zoom in or go into aiming mode. The aiming is perfectly fine and blaming it is one of the sorriest excuses for not enjoying this terrific game.

I thought Penumbra was the best survival horror title since SS2. Dead Space is more action horror.

I'd say RE4 edges out Dead Space in sheer awesomeness. A lot more variety in RE4 for one thing.

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2009, 12:12.

14. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 28, 2009, 12:02 Jerykk

Overall the best horror survival game since System Shock 2.

I thought Penumbra was the best survival horror title since SS2. Dead Space is more action horror.

13. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 28, 2009, 11:05 Muscular Beaver

It can be fixed be upping the mouse sensitivity in the game's configs. Post this change, it'll be as responsive as any PC shooter.

I suppose this ups the sensitivity in the whole game? I have a problem with it being ok in normal gaming but when I aim its far too slow. If I would up the sensitivity, normal gaming would be too fast.
There is no way that I will play any single player game with vsync off.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

12. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 28, 2009, 10:44 InBlack

The mouse response is just fine. Once you turn of Vsync.

Overall the best horror survival game since System Shock 2.
My only gripe with the game is the lousy camera position i.e. over the shoulder. Im sure its pretty cool for the "graphic whores" but it sucks when you have to pan around your own body just to have a look around...

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2009, 10:58.

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 28, 2009, 09:45 Acleacius

aiming lowers the sensitivity, though it's honestly not that big of a deal.
Say, what? Never heard of a PC game do this, is this something consoles do? PC games have precision aiming, for a reason, why would someone buy a game that screws with aiming?

There must be a reason, what are the developers afraid of, does this game really suck, unless the aiming is screwed up or are the developers just incompetent, so they hide bad AI, with bad aiming?

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

10. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 28, 2009, 09:29 Morgan19

Hardly.

Turning off vsync only fixes mouse stutter in the ESC menus: mouse controls in game are "by design", as admitted by the game designers themselves, sluggish to "match the console experience".

Someone here had linked to a config file where you can bump up mouse sensitivity to shooter levels, but then stuff like the HUD is way too sensitive instead.

Either way, the controls are still screwy and hardly "responsive as any PC shooter".

m19

9. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 28, 2009, 09:27 Agent.X7

I was thinking the same thing. The whole first page is him being an idiot about zombie pants.

And the whole "I don't like boo moments" thing. Wah. Why the hell are you playing a horror game if you don't like that? Dur.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

8. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 28, 2009, 08:58 Dmitri_M

I read a lot about the nerfed controls for the PC version. Has this been fixed?

It can be fixed be upping the mouse sensitivity in the game's configs. Post this change, it'll be as responsive as any PC shooter.

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2009, 08:59.

7. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 28, 2009, 08:43 [THA] Hamst3r

The only time the controls were problematic was if I had vsync enabled - then the mouse input would lag and stutter.

With vsync off the controls were just fine.

Also, aiming lowers the sensitivity, though it's honestly not that big of a deal. Oh no, you have to move the mouse half an inch further in a direction to aim. whoop-de-doo.

Lastly, to note since a lot of people seemed to not grasp this: When in your inventory, hold down middle mouse and drag to move the inventory cursor around. Simpler than holding alt and using the arrow keys or whatever else people were doing.

- The Hamster Alliance
http://www.hamsteralliance.com/ (music)

http://twitter.com/hamst3r | http://www.facebook.com/hamsteralliance | http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance

6. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 28, 2009, 08:16 Zzet

I was also going to ask about the PC controls, are they fixed and responsive now? If so I might just pick up a copy of this.

Also, Chuck Beaver is an awesome name.

5. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 28, 2009, 07:34 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 28, 2009, 07:23 dryden555

loved this game -- nothing new but polished and the combat was VERY satisfying at high diff levels.

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2009, 07:26.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo