Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dawn of War II Beta Opens

Steam News announces that the multiplayer beta test for Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II is now open to all, as planned. Naturally enough, a free Steam account is required to participate.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Dawn of War II Beta Opens Jan 29, 2009, 00:18 siapnar

Played about 9 matches tonight... this game is amazing.

The concentration on smaller groups at a time and no base building seems to have worked out very nicely.

I had no trouble joining a match.. but that's probably cause I hosted most of the time

Oh yeah, and the graphics are incredible.

I have projectile dysfunction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Dawn of War II Beta Opens Jan 28, 2009, 15:29 theyarecomingforyou

Voice coms are sound activated so just shout at your mic and they will hear, this is the defualt setting. Very strange.
Yeah. It took me a while to realise that... it was after I explained the game to a friend that was watching - what the other people on my team must have thought I just don't know.

BTW the devs failed to include a key guide in the beta release.
I know. I had to actually ask other players in the setup screen what the key for chat was - I must have pressed every other key but Enter.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

23. Re: Dawn of War II Beta Opens Jan 28, 2009, 14:44 Prez

Downloading the Beta now, though I'm a little leery after reading Overon's account.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: Dawn of War II Beta Opens Jan 28, 2009, 14:18 Kosumo

Voice coms are sound activated so just shout at your mic and they will hear, this is the defualt setting. Very strange.  

21. Re: Dawn of War II Beta Opens Jan 28, 2009, 11:51 siapnar

In WC3 you press shift+enter to do all talk

try that

20. Re: Dawn of War II Beta Opens Jan 28, 2009, 11:38 Flo

@inBlack that's what i'd like to know as well.

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

19. Re: Dawn of War II Beta Opens Jan 28, 2009, 10:56 InBlack

BTW the devs failed to include a key guide in the beta release.
Anyone know how to the talk to everyone in-game?

"Enter" seems to be just team say. I have yet to find the key so I can shout abuse at the other team

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: Dawn of War II Beta Opens Jan 28, 2009, 10:21 Shadowcat

I did see a "DOW2 Gold" announcement the other day, right?

This seems like a whole new level of brashness from the publishers on the whole "assume it will needs patching" side of gaming.

17. Re: Dawn of War II Beta Opens Jan 28, 2009, 10:17 KilrathiAce

MS GAMES FOR WINDOWS LIVE is the devil, if there is a reason I want to uninstall this beta without even much play time is MS LIVE and thats all. Btw, I love how every f time gfwl runs my font sizes in my browser are reset and my 20db boost for my mic is turned on WTF. I swear, this game should be using steam only and get rid of this ms live crap, please....  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

16. Re: Dawn of War II Beta Opens Jan 28, 2009, 08:25 SpectralMeat

I play another 3 v 3 match and same story. One side has much higher ranked players than the other.

Can this be because this is the beta, and they are still ironing out the bugs? I think patches will take care of that problem ones the game ships. Seeing as how many people are having this same issue I am pretty sure that is one of the highest priorities for the devs to fix.

Steam: SpectralMeat

15. Re: Dawn of War II Beta Opens Jan 28, 2009, 08:10 theyarecomingforyou

Steam started downloading it at 800 KB/s and then dropped to 600 KB/s. And then it dropped to 200 KB/s when it was 80% downloaded. Every game I download from steam seems to follow the same pattern. It starts off fast, it drops a little in the middle, and near the end it really drops. It almost seems intentional how it slows down at about 80%.
I've never had that - it either starts slow (quite rare) or goes full speed for my line (600-700KB/s). The new Steam beta includes the option to specify your download location, so that may be worth a shot if you're having problems.

I play another 3 v 3 match and same story. One side has much higher ranked players than the other.
That's something I found - matches tend to be very onesides; you either win easily or lose easily. Perhaps simply having more points for the countdown would help. And I haven't noticed any rally points on the map. Which was the game that allowed you to draw on the mini-map for other plays to see? It would be nice to try to guide losing players to focus on one objective so that their troops would be more effective. Overall I still find it better balanced than any RTS game I've played online, though that may change as more people learn the tricks to the game.

Also, for some reason certain sides are easier for me to play. As Orcs I typically win and Tyranids are also alright - meanwhile I have yet to win as either Eldar or Space Marines. Obviously there are going to be some balance changes in the first patch so we'll have to see how effective they are. I also hope the full version has a decent tutorial for all the gaming aspects as everyone's in the dark when it comes to the beta, despite the game being pretty intuitive.

LM8R and all of you "devil advocates" out there. Go fuck yourselves. Im loving this beta so far, but GFWLive is a major fail.
I think that's the point - people are saying that GfWL doesn't destroy the beta but I haven't seen anyone suggest that using it was a good idea. Given that it had issues similar to the matchmaking for Left 4 Dead I'd much rather it just used Steam.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

14. Re: Dawn of War II Beta Opens Jan 28, 2009, 08:01 Charlie_Six

Whatever resolution the game first launches into... my monitor doesn't support

Does anyone know a way to set the resolution through the Steam command line options?

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

13. Re: Dawn of War II Beta Opens Jan 28, 2009, 05:05 InBlack

LM8R and all of you "devil advocates" out there. Go fuck yourselves. Im loving this beta so far, but GFWLive is a major fail.

Even Microsoft is begining to realise this, so why cant you fanbois?

I have a nifty blue line!

12. Re: Dawn of War II Beta Opens Jan 28, 2009, 04:06 PropheT

I know you guys are tired of hearing the same crap but seriously. Fuck this new age of pc gaming. I'll read a book.

You'll probably be back in a day or two to complain about having to turn the pages.

11. Re: Dawn of War II Beta Opens Jan 28, 2009, 02:23 mag

Obligatory Penny Arcade.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/07/26/

10. Re: Dawn of War II Beta Opens Jan 28, 2009, 00:57 siapnar

I'm a big DoW fan, so I was dying to play the beta.

First impressions are that it's pretty cool, but not much different from the others. Everything is the same except for more abilites and upgrades for heroes and squads.
The graphics are obviously nicer, but all the animations are exactly the same for the returning units. Not necessarily a bad thing, I just expected more variety.

It seems to me that units are either insanely hard to destroy or very easily done so with different units. Now, I haven't played much yet (2 matches against bots), but I hope that they're using that as a weight for good balance. It just surprised me when my juggernaut obliterated an eldar tank with one swing, while it took 3 squads of heavy bolters to damage the tank 1/3 of the way before they were all dead.

So, I'm not all that impressed, or dissapointed. I'm just, satisfied you could say.

I have a feelin though, once I play some more, that it'll grow on me.
I'm looking more forward to the SP component, anyways.

9. Re: Dawn of War II Beta Opens Jan 28, 2009, 00:31 Overon

Okay I got it. Let me describe my miserable experience with this game.

Steam started downloading it at 800 KB/s and then dropped to 600 KB/s. And then it dropped to 200 KB/s when it was 80% downloaded. Every game I download from steam seems to follow the same pattern. It starts off fast, it drops a little in the middle, and near the end it really drops. It almost seems intentional how it slows down at about 80%.

When I finally downloaded and tried to launch it, I was told that I need at least 1,500 MB page file. I have configured my system not to use a page file and I have never played a game (tf2, left 4 dead, world in conflict, the old dawn of war games, dead space, witcher etc) that had any problem with my lack of page file. So I fixed it by creating a page file. No big deal.

Next steam said that I needed to input a cd key (steam showed me what the cdkey was) when the game asked me for it. I said okay and continued to launch the game through steam. I was greeted with a unskippable thq logo video, a relic logo video, an nvidia logo video, a games for windows logo video, a games workshop logo video, and then a long dawn of war 2 video, none of which I was able to skip with any button I could find, and I think I hit every button on my keyboard. (However after the intial launch of the game, subsequent launches of the game I am able to skip each video by pressing escape, one press for each of the 6 logo videos.) There was nowhere to input the cdkey despite steam continually notifying me what my cdkey is and that I would need to input it.

Next I tried to get into the abomination called games for windows live. Days before I created my windows live ID which can be used to sign into to a games for windows live game and create a gamer tag. I tried to create a gamer tag when I created the games for windows live ID but was unable to figure how to do it on the games for windows live website. So I figured that the game would let me do it once I signed in.

I try to use my games for windows live id to sign into games for windows live. And then the horror starts. It tells me that it's not able to connect to the internet. I click this button and it shows me that it's trying to use my virtual hamachi network adapter to connect to the internet. But there is help, they provide a link to the microsoft knowledge base that shows you how to fix the problem. It says to change the order of network adapters in advanced networking properties. So I do that. I make my lan connection have the highest priority. Then it says to disable other the other adapters. So I disable my hamachi virtual network adapater. But still no go, and it tells me that it's not able to connect because there is no network adapter as far as it's concerned after making my lan connection top priority and disabling my hamachi adapter. So I decided to uninstall hamachi. Low and behold, that fixed the problem. No hamachi no problem. This is the first experience with any program or game that has ever had an issue with hamachi.

But the bad experience does not end there. Once I am able to sign into windows live, it says to create a gamertag. Finally. So I click it and it launches internet explorer (despite my default browser being firefox, no respect for my default browser from microsoft). So I use internet explorer to create my gamertag. And then I see something funny. I know xbox live and games for windows live are virtually the same thing, but when I had to login to create my gamertag, I something which I found amusing. The windows says "games for windows live" in big letters. Yet the login field says "xbox login:". That's where you enter your windows live id. I found that amusing.

So being that I can only use letters, spaces, and numbers in my gamertag, it takes me a little bit to create a satisfactory gamertag.

So now I am finally ready. The first thing I do is use the matchmaking system to find a worthy newbie foe of equal noobiness to me. I play my first game which is 3v3. The game starts the map loads and then all of a sudden it tells me our side won about 5 seconds into the game. I don't know what happened there, probably some bug.

I play my next 3 v 3 match after waiting a few minutes to find an appropriate match. And my team is quickly obliterated. In the victory screens I find out that 3 of us on 1 team were all ranked 1 (the lowest rank) and we were playing against a team of 3 with ranks 3, 4, and 5. I that doesn't seem like the matchmaking I would do if I was in charge. So I chalk it up to a fluke.

I play a 1 on 1 battle. I am obliterated. And I find out that the person I was playing was ranked 10. I am ranked 1 and the matchmaking system found it okay to match me up with someone rank 10. That's not right.

I play another 3 on 3 match. This time we last a little bit longer as I have 1 rank 5 player on my team and the other team has 1 rank 1 players and 2 rank 6 players. My team had 1 rank 5 player, 1 rank 1 (me) and another guy rank 2.

I play another 1 v 1 match. And once again I get destroyed, this time against a rank 5 player.

So I say fuck this. I'm going to play the non ranked matches maybe that's where the newbies are going when they realize that the matchmaking is fucked up in balance. I click the public buttons button and I wait and nothing happens for a while. Just as I'm about to quit games show up. However this server browser is absolutely the worst server browser ever designed. There is no refresh button. There is some timer that perioddically refreshes the list. There is only about 5 games that can fit in the server browser window at any one time requiring you to scroll down a list. I dare people find worse server browser in any game. Games from 2001 and before had better server browsers.

I find some games, I try to to enter a few and I get kicked. I chalk that up to someone waiting to play his buddy in a game and me taking up their slot, so they kick me. I finally am able to find someone who will not kick me and we play a game. He happens to be rank 4 and the game doesn't last very long as he defeats me. My best game though was there.

Footnotes: It takes way too long to find a ranked game. You sit there as it searches for a game for you. When it finds one, it's not balanced by rank in any shape or form so you end up with huge differences in experience between one player and another.
There are constant messages in game that a participating player's computer performance is not up to spec ("your settings are too high"), which makes makes the game repeatedly pause and choke for everyone. This would be the first time I have ever seen a game where the hosting duties were given to the player with a shitty computer (if that's what is happening). In fact there is a performance meter that describes how well someone's pc is running the game. There is a separate ping number. My peformance meter was always at the highest level which means it was green and excellent. The people in game that generated those warning messages were people whose performance meter was in the red.

The message system, voice chat system, and buddy system, in windows live is pretty terrible. It's like xbox live, console designed. With those ridiculous long animations and a thousand clicks to send someone a simple message. It's so much easier to send someone a message via steam overlay.

There is no button activation for mic. It is all voice activated with no option to change the behavior in games for windows live. So you end up listening to people breathe, weird noises, and people talk about stupid shit without knowing that their mic was on because it's voice activated.

Finally the voice chat quality is horrible. Everyone speaks like a robot with a metallic tinge in their voice, exactly what it sounds like when low bit rates are used. I can't figure out why bother even having voice chat if it's next to unintelligible.

Overall a pretty bad experience that took away way too much of my time. It was a pain in the ass just to get into the game. If games for windows live was used because it has matchmaking, this matchmaking is very unbalanced with the player having no control over it. I can't put in paramaters like "I don't care how long I have to wait, find me someone with is rank 1 like me and has less than 200 ping to me?" The way it makes matching decisions is just not right.

This comment was edited on Jan 29, 2009, 09:58.

8. Re: Dawn of War II Beta Opens Jan 27, 2009, 23:50 elefunk

Seriously. Cry some moar. Dawn of War II demonstrates that GTA 4's problems extended far beyond GFW Live, and rather their *implementation* of GFW Live was the shitty part. GFW Live in DoW II is easily better than Relic Online.  

7. Re: Dawn of War II Beta Opens Jan 27, 2009, 23:41 Caveman

I know you guys are tired of hearing the same crap but seriously. Fuck this new age of pc gaming. I'll read a book.

qq

6. Re: Dawn of War II Beta Opens Jan 27, 2009, 23:30 lettuce

I wanted to try the game but after dealing with GTA4 I'd rather remove 5 of my ribs and suck my own asshole dry before I bought another game that uses that windows live shit again.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo