Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs

The Total War Blog says March 4 is the release date for Empire: Total War, confirming the most recent release date for the next installment in Creative Assembly's large-scale real-time strategy series. They also announce that all copies of the game must be activated using Steam, even if they are purchased at retail or another digital delivery service. They also offer some system specifications, saying the following represents the minimum, rather than the recommended specs:

Operating System: Windows XP 32(service pack 2), Windows Vista 32 OS.
Processor: 2.4 GHz Single Core Intel or AMD equivalent processor.
System Memory: 1GB RAM (XP) 2GB RAM (Vista).
Graphics Card: 256MB DirectX 9.0c compatible video card (shader 2.0 or higher).
Sound Card: Directx9.0c compatible sound card.
Windows compatible mouse & keyboard.
15 GB free uncompressed hard drive space.

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

60. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 29, 2009, 20:00 Prez

I wasn't directing that comment towards you; I was illustrating that not all the people bitching in the Steam forums are banned cheaters; I was pretty vocal in my Steam-bashing at the time.

It also serves, I think, to remind us that Steam, while very good in its own right, introduces new variables into the equation that can wreck your gaming experience in ways unheard of before.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 29, 2009, 15:12 Creston

It is sadly true that there are many instances where Steam can lock you out of your account. I myself was once locked out my own account for almost 2 days because of some glitch on their part. My password wasn't working and the password reset was not working.

It wasn't the fix that took that long; it was WAITING for Steam support to get back to me that took so long. Man, was I furious.

Well, okay, a glitch can cause that. It sucks and it shouldn't happen, but I was talking about Valve PERMANENTLY locking you out of the games you've bought for whatever bullshit reason.

I would seriously sue over that.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jan 29, 2009, 15:13.

58. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 29, 2009, 00:09 Visuality

Steam is by no means perfect, but considering how terrible it was when it was first released and how it is now...it's improved immensely and i have no doubt it shall in the future, including the rules on these kinds of things.  

57. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 28, 2009, 23:43 elefunk

Thanks for nicely illustrating my point. Someone cheating at CS should be banned from playing CS. They should not be banned from playing their entire Steam library.
Read my post again, and this time don't cut it off prematurely to help prove your point:

That place is a hellhole filled with nothing but plainly obvious CS/TF2/L4D hackers and cheaters who were legitimately banned by VAC bitching and moaning about it, and similarly banned people for purporting phishing attacks.
Two separate points - banned by VAC =/= banned from their entire Steam library. However, purporting phishing attacks and other account hack attempts *will* rightfully ban you.

Looking at the Steam forums for legitimate evidence is like looking for anything but jaded, whiny, sandy vaginas in the Blue's News comments section.

56. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 28, 2009, 22:21 JohnnyRotten

Unless you were actively trying to hack their server, I'd really like to see Valve come up with an excuse valid for denying you access to products you paid for. That's a winner of a lawsuit waiting to happen.

The day Valve says I no longer have access to products that I purchased from them is the day I start planning how to spend the very large amount of money I'll be winning from them in a lawsuit. Same goes if they try to significantly change the terms of service after an acquisition by an outside company.

55. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 28, 2009, 21:20 Bhruic

Are you seriously using the fucking STEAM FORUMS as your evidence for excuses?

Yes, I seriously am.

That place is a hellhole filled with nothing but plainly obvious CS/TF2/L4D hackers and cheaters who were legitimately banned

Thanks for nicely illustrating my point. Someone cheating at CS should be banned from playing CS. They should not be banned from playing their entire Steam library.

That's assuming, of course, that your assertion that everyone complaining was legitimately banned was true. Prez has already provided an example demonstrating that it's not, and I'm sure his experience isn't unique.

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2009, 21:22.

54. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 28, 2009, 20:56 elefunk

Are you seriously using the fucking STEAM FORUMS as your evidence for excuses?

Really??

That place is a hellhole filled with nothing but plainly obvious CS/TF2/L4D hackers and cheaters who were legitimately banned by VAC bitching and moaning about it, and similarly banned people for purporting phishing attacks.

53. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 28, 2009, 20:54 Prez

It is sadly true that there are many instances where Steam can lock you out of your account. I myself was once locked out my own account for almost 2 days because of some glitch on their part. My password wasn't working and the password reset was not working.

It wasn't the fix that took that long; it was WAITING for Steam support to get back to me that took so long. Man, was I furious.

52. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 28, 2009, 20:24 Bhruic

Unless you were actively trying to hack their server, I'd really like to see Valve come up with an excuse valid for denying you access to products you paid for.

Then check out the Steam forums, your curiosity will be more than satisfied.

51. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 28, 2009, 19:31 Creston

The fact is, I cannot play my games if I lose my Steam account. And it's not simply a case of losing access to a single game, like it would be with a standard online or MMO game, I lose access to my entire game library.

Unless you were actively trying to hack their server, I'd really like to see Valve come up with an excuse valid for denying you access to products you paid for. That's a winner of a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Creston

50. Re: Empire: Total War Date Jan 28, 2009, 19:08 theyarecomingforyou

Ah yeah, I completely forgot about that.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

49. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 28, 2009, 18:54 Prez

Yes Steam is a service and it could be changed, terminated, whatever at his full discrection, by Valve or by another company after buying, either Valve or Steam or both. Do you know EULAs?

Yep. The question is why (or even how?) would Valve do that while is is under contract with all of the companies whose games it hosts like Stategy First, JoWood, EA, Take 2, etc etc etc. And I also know that Valve or whoever is in charge of such a service would simply unlock the games people owned through Steam before closing it, or the publisher give the customer the game in a different manner. There is precedent for this as well.

http://www.3drealms.com/news/2006/10/prey_update_for_triton.html

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2009, 18:59.

48. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 28, 2009, 18:19 Bluesfanboi

"I just know that I HATE buying game retail because of discs, DRM, installers, patches and other bullshit - Steam avoids all that."

As has been discussed in this thread, Steam does not avoid all of that and brings added and utterly unnecessary elements, many outright negative.

You are intellectually suspect.

47. Re: Empire: Total War Date Jan 28, 2009, 16:29 Z9000

I have been fine with buying games up until DRM and now this online client crap. So to say that gamers aren't satisfied with anything is a ridiculous statement. Giving gamers all losing choices is more accurate, and no, we shouldn't be satisfied with them.  
PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

46. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 28, 2009, 15:40 theyarecomingforyou

I agree with the concerns about the future of Steam. Even an interface change could make it much less pleasant to use without even considering being bought out by another company with a less tolerant approach. This is more worrying because Valve hinted that they would be open to being bought out. However, I believe the backlash against such a move would destroy any value that Steam possessed and no company would be foolish enough to destroy a brand they paid big money for (Steam will never be sold on the cheap)... okay, maybe Microsoft would be that foolish.

So yes, Steam has numerous potential issues. But I'm not going to worry myself silly over things that may happen. I just know that I HATE buying game retail because of discs, DRM, installers, patches and other bullshit - Steam avoids all that. That's good enough for me.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

45. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 28, 2009, 15:15 Bhruic

You've obviously never bought shit on Steam. It patches games automatically. No worrying about it. No worring "damn, do I need to download 1.1, then 1.2, then 1.3? Or do I just have to download 1.3?". Then you wait for it to download. Then you wait for it to install. Or...you wait 20 seconds for it to automatically download and install, and you're done.

And you've obviously never dealt with a broken patch before. I can even easily give you a specific example - when the BtS expansion for Civilizations IV was released, it quickly got a 3.02 patch, then got what I believe was a 3.03 patch. Quite a few months later, it got a 3.13 patch (and finally a 3.17 patch, but that's not relevant). The 3.03 patch was a "quick" patch to fix a single issue, but it ended up causing significant problems with the game, breaking numerous things. And there were, as I said, many months before the 3.13 patch came out to fix that. Everyone was recommended to either stick with the 3.02 patch, or reinstall and go back to 3.02 if they'd already upgraded to 3.03.

Except, of course, for the Steam users. Steam forced the 3.03 patch on anyone that tried to play the game via Steam. So for quite a few months, Steam users were stuck with a buggy game that made it difficult for them to play, all because Steam doesn't allow you to select which patches you wish to install.

As for the risk of Steam shutting down, yes, that's remarkably small. But I'm much more worried about the possibility of my account getting closed for whatever reason. The fact is, I cannot play my games if I lose my Steam account. And it's not simply a case of losing access to a single game, like it would be with a standard online or MMO game, I lose access to my entire game library. That, to me, is an unacceptable situation. I refuse to allow another company to effectively control my access to my game library.

So while I'll buy the odd Steam game (generally when they put something on sale), I'm highly resistant to situations like this where 3rd party companies force me to register a game with Steam in order to play it.

44. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 28, 2009, 15:07 Kha

@nin -
"The sky is falling! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!"

O boy, this was a very constructive reply, indeed. Teh bottom line is i try do not be raped.

@LMN8R -
As for the retards still purporting the stupidly unlikely risk of Valve shutting down and you "losing everything"

Do not insult, please, i was respectfull in my post and i think i have a legitimate concern.

Yes, it is unlikely Valve goes down, but it would be purchased by a bigger company and the conditions of Steam's use would be changed.

@Prez -
And about the "Valve going out of business" scenario, every time I hear that possibility I have to wonder if people understand how business works. Steam is a service

Yes Steam is a service and it could be changed, terminated, whatever at his full discrection, by Valve or by another company after buying, either Valve or Steam or both. Do you know EULAs?

Since we, the customers, are not protected against such events, the only protection is avoid risky purchases like this. I know, SecuROM + online activation is worst, Limited installs are worst, Starforce is worst, but forced steam use is not good neither.

The only possibility is to fight together against all this DRM nonsense, but we are not very united as i can see.

43. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 28, 2009, 15:00 Medwynd

"So this is it eh? The line in the sand? Forcing me to run a program I really don't want to or have to run (Steam) before and during the time your program is active for no good reason. No good reason for ME.

Give me Steam as an *option* and I'll buy, make me use Steam and you lose my sale...and I've purchased every Total War game since.

That's right, you've gained a new pirate boys, congratulations Creative Assembly! Treat me like a crook after all these years? You better believe I'm going to act like one."

Never bought a Valve game, eh?

No actually because I have never been a fan of their games. I have played them on some of my friends pc's before though. Then once Steam was required it was pretty much a nobrainer that I wouldn't ever be playing any of their products again.

You get the benefits of:

-Preserve the ability to buy at retail if you find a nice deal
-Toss aside the disk, never needing to worry about it again after initial activation
-No need to remember CD keys
-No messing with patches
-No CD in the drive while you're playing
-Far easier to re-install everything after a format instead of needing to swap a ton of CDs/DVDs for every single game you want to install
-Re-download everything as many times as you want, on as many computers as you want
-Integration with all of the community stuff instead of limited "add non-steam game" functionality.

But yeah, other than all that, no benefits at all!

Almost all of your points are the same thing over and over, no need to keep physical media around. I agree with some of the other posters that I enjoy keeping physical media around, including the boxes and manuals. I will not, and have not, purchased a download only game.

As for all of the community stuff as you put it, I really don't have any need for those. I don't need to wave my epeen around and say look at my stats. Plus I really only play mmo's online and very rarely a fps.

Canceling that and a pre-order of DoW 2.
Does DOW2 require steam? If so I need to go cancel mine as well.

False, all games get patches. Next.

You've obviously never bought shit on Steam. It patches games automatically. No worrying about it. No worring "damn, do I need to download 1.1, then 1.2, then 1.3? Or do I just have to download 1.3?". Then you wait for it to download. Then you wait for it to install. Or...you wait 20 seconds for it to automatically download and install, and you're done.

Great so when one of the patches breaks the game I am stuck with it because Steam auto-installed it for me. How is that a plus for steam? At least manually installing my patches, like I do, I can make sure the patch works and that its even worth installing.

Patently false? Tell me - which is easier:

1) Sit at my computer for at least an hour, manually installing 5 games, one at a time, then manually patching 5 games by manually downloading patches.

2) Right-click, click "install" 5 times, walk away or go to sleep for the night, come back and everything's ready to go.

What 5 games are you installing that it takes all night to install? I guess maybe if your are installing it on a really old machine... Seems like a bit of a stretch to try to make a counterpoint.

Physical Media provides the same ability by design without restriction nor the time require to authenticate and download it. Next.

Great. Have fun with all those manual game and patch installations

I've been doing it for as long as I can remember, its not rocket science.

Yeah, whatever. I call that 'marketing' not gaming. Since all 'that' is commerce or social hour, not gaming. Web sites and forums are just spiffy and better at it.

Well now it's obviously clear that you're simply a jaded asshole with no friends to play online with. Anyone who's played Left 4 Dead or Team Fortress 2 online with friends knows how freaking awesome all the community features are for scheduling matches, one-click joining games, communicating in-game, checking out stats, etc. But yeah, that's all "marketing", so whatever it doesn't count, right?

You make the assumption EVERYONE likes valves games. I do enjoy the Empire series but wont be married to Valve because they assume I like their games too.

As for the retards still purporting the stupidly unlikely risk of Valve shutting down and you "losing everything", it's far more likely that your precious disks will get stolen, or broken, or lost, or just plain worn down than that happening.

Umm, really its not. I have every game manual, box, and cd (and disks) for every game I have purchased in over 15 years of gaming. I have never lost one, had one stolen, or had one magically become "broken". How many game companies have closed in that time? It sounds like you just need to take better care of your stuff.

With all those responses out of the way, I won't play Empire or any other game requiring steam, but I won't pirate it either.

42. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 28, 2009, 14:22 Prez

And the idea that Steam would fall into the hands of EA or Microsoft doesn't worry you? If MS gets a hold of it, Steam would be buried into GfWL, with all the joys it brings.

I didn't say that. I didn't really address it at all. I was addressing the possibility that the games I own on Steam already becoming inaccessible because of Valve's closure. As I see it, it isn't really a possibility.

The problem with a clueless entity like MS or EA getting a hold of it... Now that IS a legitimate concern. Worst case scenario, I would simply stop using Steam for future games. I'd still have access to all of the games I paid for.

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2009, 14:22.

41. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 28, 2009, 13:50 Creston

Is there anyone here who doubts that a company like Blizzard, EA, Microsoft, or any other of a dozen possible companies would buy the Steam service and continue its operation? The way I see it, Steam is far bigger than Valve now.

And the idea that Steam would fall into the hands of EA or Microsoft doesn't worry you? If MS gets a hold of it, Steam would be buried into GfWL, with all the joys it brings.

If EA gets a hold of it, Steam will quickly become a "one install limit per customer" tool.

So I think it's a fairly legitimate concern.

LMN8R, both points you make are valid, though my patch issue was more a general steam thing, not something I'd worry about with Empire.

Creston

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo