Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Operation Anchorage GFW Woes

YouGamers and Rock, Paper, Shotgun each have stories outlining problems with the PC edition of the Operation Anchorage DLC for Fallout 3 and the Games for Windows service. YouGamers reports that the DLC is not available in some localities, while users who have imported Fallout 3 are finding the DLC will only install in the default language of the country they imported the game from, even if it has been installed with another language. Meanwhile, Rock, Paper, Shotgun outlines their difficulties obtaining the DLC from Games for Windows in what can best be described as a bit of a circus, though some of the related forum comments may prove helpful to those suffering some of the same problems. On a semi-related note, GameCyte follows up on the news that Chris Early was fired by Microsoft with word that the Games for Windows program will continue under the leadership of Ron Pessner, formerly of Microsoft's Connected TV division, while Microsoft Game Studios veteran David Luehmann is now in charge of internal development and publishing of all Windows-based games.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 28, 2009, 06:04 Kxmode

Gees Beth. I mean do you REALLY need these fucking hassles in this economy? Why didn't you release it on Games for Windows, Steam, Direct 2 Drive, and whatever else you could muster. Don't make the process of actually BUYING the game a pain in the ass!

Course you could be cool an release it for... um... free. You know like this stuff used to be.

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2009, 06:06.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 28, 2009, 03:42 Jerykk

I thought that "gamer points" and "microsoft points" were the same thing, so I used GFWL both for GTA4 and Fallout3.

Hah, if you could actually buy stuff with Gamer Points, achievements wouldn't be so worthless. As it is, they exist only to extend your ePeen size.

22. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 28, 2009, 01:40 El Pit

Fallout 3 was barely functional at release and extremely buggy

Strange. I played through it without a patch and explored a lot of the FO3-world. What have I done wrong?

But Stalker was barely functional at release and the worst bugfest since the Gothic games. That's true.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

21. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 28, 2009, 00:59 Zoomboy27

On the original Fallout, I played enough to get up to 13th level.
Then I jumped through the hoops to get GFW Live running(getting prepped for the DLC) - but the GFWL interface was worse than an accounting program from the 90's.
It didn't work(never accepted any password) and I was left with a GFWL:Fallout3 that wouldn't allow me to load my save-games

Options were
1) Don't use GFW Live and I can play the game.
2) Use GFWL and not play the game.

Non-functionality FTW - it was subtraction by subtraction.

20. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 27, 2009, 20:47 skyguy

I thought that "gamer points" and "microsoft points" were the same thing, so I used GFWL both for GTA4 and Fallout3. I thought I could save some money with my gaming achievements and just plonk down $5 for the DLC. But apparently I can't, so microsoft can suck it. At this point I'm thinking about uninstalling my legit copy of FO3 and installing the pirate version. Maybe I'll just come back to the game in a year or so, mods are going to produce better stuff than any DLC anyway...

19. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 27, 2009, 20:40 RP

Smug alert: you have no right to bitch about bad ports and GFWL if you support the companies doing them. I'm only buying FO3 when it hits the bargain bin in three years.

If you pay full price for PC games, at least support the devs who give a fuck about PC gamers.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2009, 20:47.

18. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 27, 2009, 20:25 ldonyo

Fallout 3 was barely functional at release and extremely buggy, why would people expect anything different from the DLC?

I had a much better experience than you did. I had no trouble playing Fallout 3 all the way through prior to the first patch being released. I've since installed it on Windows 7 and had no trouble with it there, either. GFWL even patched the game all by its lonesome on Win7.

We'll see how the DLC goes. I'm downloading it now without issue, but that's maybe half the battle.

17. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 27, 2009, 20:05 ^mortis^

I honestly don't know how a company with the money, talent and influence of Microsoft can so utterly screw up a concept that is good on paper.

in latin, it's called Modus operandi.

^m^

16. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 27, 2009, 19:06 dubfanatic

Fallout 3 was barely functional at release and extremely buggy, why would people expect anything different from the DLC?

Yeah, I don't know what people are bitching about here. Bethesda+Microsoft is a match made in heaven.

15. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 27, 2009, 19:02 theyarecomingforyou

One more reason why I'm worried about GFWL and Dawn of War 2.
My experience with the DOWII beta has been mostly positive, though the matchmaking is still far from perfect - it's on par with the issues I experienced with Left 4 Dead. Therefore it seems more likely they opted for GfWL because of the ability to sell DLC, which isn't as established on Steam (even though in theory it would be more streamlined).

I honestly don't know how a company with the money, talent and influence of Microsoft can so utterly screw up a concept that is good on paper.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

14. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 27, 2009, 18:55 Wilson

I got burned by EA's broken delivery system for the BF2142 expansion, and I think I won't let it happen again with this expansion.  

13. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 27, 2009, 18:17 Warskull

12. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 27, 2009, 18:06 nin

Way to go, Bethesda. You fucking suck...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 27, 2009, 17:59 Caveman

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2009, 18:00.

10. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 27, 2009, 17:56 Bone43

MS is gonna buy Steam for wagonloads of money

Got a good chuckle out of that one thanks.

My first last and only experience with GFL was with the first Gears of War when I tried to connect with PC and play with my son on his 360 what a fuck show.

9. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 27, 2009, 17:55 StingingVelvet

Worked smooth as silk for me... shame others are having problems.  

8. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 27, 2009, 17:28 El Pit

What's gonna happen next?

MS is gonna buy Steam for wagonloads of money. After that, they'll "integrate" Steam into GFW. Which means: They'll simply bury Steam 6 ft under and hope that *now* everybody will be happy with GFW. Hell, Mr. President, why not support Microsoft and buy billions of MS points with tax-payer's money? Yo, Barack, good idea, right?

Microsoft, please, just go away. Stop releasing anythin, integrate DX 10(.1) into Windows XP and dissolve. Thanks - bye - good riddance.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

7. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 27, 2009, 17:24 Creston

Hopefully Bethesda sees all this negative coverage and realizes that this a fucking STUPID decision, and will release the other DLCs in normal format, like everyone else does.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I buy 1000 "MS points" to buy something that costs 800 "MS points."

Fuck you MS. And fuck you Bethesda.

Creston

6. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 27, 2009, 17:15 Darks

Now you see why the guy got fired yesterday, they need a scape goat for their fuck ups and he was it.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

5. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 27, 2009, 17:12 kimbambaman

Wow...simply awful. I'm glad I picked up F3 for the 360 so I could avoid these issues. I got stinged with the GTA4/GFWL issues, and I don't want to get zinged again.

GFWL as a program needs to be either dropped or completely torn down and rebuilt from the ground up. Hopefully new leadership will mean a fresh start, but who knows?

"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo