Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

UT3 "Titan Pack" Plans

A post to the BeyondUnreal Forums that BeyondUnreal says is from Epic's Steve Polge indicates the major patch plans mentioned today represents half of their planned Unreal Tournament 3 expansion, to be followed by "the Titan Pack" that will add all sorts of goodness that they are not revealing just yet to their shooter sequel:

We've decided that the best way to deliver the UT3 expansion we've been hinting about is in two parts. This patch is the first part. We arenít quite ready yet to start going into detail about the bonus content and gametypes that will be in the Titan Pack, which is substantially bigger than any bonus pack we've released in the past.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: UT3 Feb 6, 2009, 21:29 GT

I wasn't speaking for UT3 specifically
ha ha ha. If you weren't, then you shouldn't have responded to my post because it was about UT3 not some other game.

but the vast majority of games break after a format
No, the vast majority don't. I regularly make working, runnable backups of my games on USB and sometimes even DVD-R's, and the vast majority of the hundreds of games I own don't actually need anything other than the installed game files to run. Everything else gets recreated automatically on first run or can be input on first run or with the installed files such as EA game CD keys.

Not only that but you don't need to go into each directory and create shortcuts to games
You actually don't need to create shortcuts at all. I just navigate to the game's directory and launch the game's exe since I use Total Commander to quickly navigate through my drives instead of using explorer. But, creating a shortcut only takes a few seconds and only needs to be done once, so that is hardly an imposition.

How about activation? Do you still have to get the game reactivated after you reinstall Windows?
All Steam games much be reactivated and validated and the Steam account login info saved when Steam is reinstalled like that. The games won't run offline until they are, and they will only run offline for that one Steam account if you have more than one account.

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2009, 21:50.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: UT3 Feb 6, 2009, 21:16 GT

You kind of can, actually, you would just have to replace the executable first.
Yes, you replace it with a retail executable or cracked version of it. Which means you are improving the Steam version of the game by pirating the retail one.

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2009, 21:39.

48. Re: UT3 Feb 6, 2009, 21:13 GT

But you still need to install it every time you reinstall Windows
No, you don't. That's why you can run the game from a network share or a USB drive. All you need are the installed game files. The game needs nothing from the registry and all user settings are created on first run in the user account's path. Almost all Windows games of at least the last few years are like this. They simply don't need to be re-installed if the installed files are available.

If you'd spend as much time actually researching and understanding games as you did shooting your uninformed mouth off in these forums, you would have known that.

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2009, 21:31.

47. Re: UT3 "Titan Pack" Plans Jan 29, 2009, 18:34 RP

FYI: you can now register retail copies of UT3 through Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/2204/

46. Re: UT3 Jan 28, 2009, 18:57 Ecthelion

Well, unfortunately Add/Remove Programs only lists games downloaded since my current install (not that I would even use that method to uninstall games). However, Steam auto-detects whether a game has been run before as the DirectX / Visual Basic / Gamespy Comrade / GfWL installers popup on first run after a format, though you can simply click cancel and skip them (helpful when most games ask you to install DirectX). I don't know how it works, just that it does.
I guess that would have been too much to hope for. I wonder if verifying the integrity of the game cache for those games would "reinstall" them. I know that function has fixed registry entries for me before.

45. Re: UT3 "Titan Pack" Plans Jan 28, 2009, 15:15 theyarecomingforyou

How does this work exactly? I've noticed that when I install a game through Steam, it actually does a "normal Windows install" in the background. Games get registry entries and entries in Add/Remove Programs (Programs and Features in Vista and presumably Windows 7). Does your method do the same thing?
Well, unfortunately Add/Remove Programs only lists games downloaded since my current install (not that I would even use that method to uninstall games). However, Steam auto-detects whether a game has been run before as the DirectX / Visual Basic / Gamespy Comrade / GfWL installers popup on first run after a format, though you can simply click cancel and skip them (helpful when most games ask you to install DirectX). I don't know how it works, just that it does.

I'm a big fan of Steam myself, but I really wish they would get a team to improve the UI. Why can't I organize my games into groups? That must be especially annoying to you with over 120 games on Steam.
Absolutely. I've posted on the Steam forums about it. As it is I simply add the games I like most to 'My Favorites', which now spans the entire height of my screen. I'd like the ability to display large icons for groups - it seems a waste for developers to create a lovely icon to get a crappy 16x16 version in Steam. Tiles would be helpful as well, especially for games with very long names (the current winner is "Sam and Max 103: The Mole, the Mob and the Meatball") - that way you could have games side-by-side instead of just in a vertical list. I think Steam is definitely in need of a complete overhaul and I'd like to see it adopt a Windows native theme - I'm not a fan of proprietary interfaces.

Valve keeps working on the Steam client and has been improving it a lot recently (there always seems to be a beta to opt into) but it's time for a serious overhaul. At the same time it is also important to allow people to continue using the old style or they're likely to piss off a lot of people (unless it is better in every aspect, which seems unreasonable to expect).

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

44. Re: UT3 Jan 28, 2009, 06:44 Ecthelion

You don't have to fuck with the disc with the retail version either. It has good old-fashioned DRM which means full unrestricted single-player and LAN mode and only a CD key required for online play.

But you still need to install it every time you reinstall Windows, which is what I hate (I even hate the initial install). Steam you just download it once and then keep it on a separate drive - every time you format you simply install the Steam client to the other drive and all your games are up and running quicker than you can install a single game. That may not seem like much but I have 120 games on Steam - like fuck would I install them all after every format. Steam is a HUGE advantage to me and I play games much more often because of it.
How does this work exactly? I've noticed that when I install a game through Steam, it actually does a "normal Windows install" in the background. Games get registry entries and entries in Add/Remove Programs (Programs and Features in Vista and presumably Windows 7). Does your method do the same thing? You can check by seeing if the games you installed that way (pointing to the drive where they were installed as opposed to manually installing them through Steam) show up in the Add/Remove list. If so, Steam is even more useful than I thought.

I'm a big fan of Steam myself, but I really wish they would get a team to improve the UI. Why can't I organize my games into groups? That must be especially annoying to you with over 120 games on Steam. I have "only" 91 (of which I usually only have 20 or 30 installed at any given time) and it drives me crazy.

43. Re: UT3 Jan 27, 2009, 18:58 MacD

That's an EXTREMELY helpfull way of doing things! Thanks for the tip!

I'm surprised though...usually games do stuff with registry settings...I'm extremely surprised that that hasn't been a problem.

42. Re: UT3 Jan 27, 2009, 18:54 MacD

Err...I think you have that the wrong way around; vista is pretty bad, which makes it's large install base so surprising. Vista is the sequel to winME...and everyone who's ever done a modicum of tech support knows it.

I agree with you that UT3 is a damn good game...but there's just no community to it, which is sad.

41. Re: UT3 Jan 27, 2009, 18:51 MacD

Not at all the case. I find UT3 much more comparable to UT99 in gameplay style. But oddly enough for me, I find I enjoy UT2004 more now, whereas when I first fot UT2k4, I prefered UT99 and would have preffered UT3.  

40. Re: UT3 "Titan Pack" Plans Jan 27, 2009, 18:00 theyarecomingforyou

That's not true. I installed UT3 in WinXP and when I boot into Vista or Win7beta, I just launch the ut3.exe file and it runs well. I had to re-enter the CD key and make one or two other initial changes but then it just works (for me).
I wasn't speaking for UT3 specifically but the vast majority of games break after a format - this happened with The Witcher Enhanced Edition. But even so Steam auto-downloads patches, which saves a lot of time as well. Not only that but you don't need to go into each directory and create shortcuts to games, which again would take a lot of time. Steam also adds games to the Vista / Win7 Games Explorer, though for some reason it's pretty random the games that appear (for instance, the original Unreal Tournament appears but not Left 4 Dead).

How about activation? Do you still have to get the game reactivated after you reinstall Windows?
Only for the limited number of games with restricted activations (Far Cry 2, Crysis Warhead, Clear Sky, etc) - that literally only takes seconds though. Games like Half-Life 2 that require initial decryption on first install don't need it if you use the method I suggested.

Personally I'm happy to pay a slight premium for the huge convenience of Steam. However, it's up to others whether they value that convenience. If you only play a handful of games regularly and the rest you only install and play through once then it's obviously not as useful - same again if you don't mind installing games. I'm not trying to convert people to Steam, I'm merely pointing out why I use it. It has plenty of disadvantages, like some patches taking a while to turn up and not being able to roll back to earlier versions - it also prohibits resale / lending.

39. Re: UT3 Jan 27, 2009, 16:33 LittleMe

But you still need to install it every time you reinstall Windows, which is what I hate (I even hate the initial install). Steam you just download it once and then keep it on a separate drive - every time you format you simply install the Steam client to the other drive and all your games are up and running quicker than you can install a single game. That may not seem like much but I have 120 games on Steam - like fuck would I install them all after every format. Steam is a HUGE advantage to me and I play games much more often because of it.

UT3 was the perfect example of this. I enjoy it and like loading it up occasionally but after formats I simply couldn't be bothered installing it - now I have it on Steam I play it more often and will soon have Steam achievements to look forward to.

That's not true. I installed UT3 in WinXP and when I boot into Vista or Win7beta, I just launch the ut3.exe file and it runs well. I had to re-enter the CD key and make one or two other initial changes but then it just works (for me).

Perpetual debt is slavery.

38. Re: UT3 Jan 27, 2009, 11:36 Dmitri_M

I like this game, at it's core it's still good 'ol UT.

I just wish it had the "tier" championship single player gameplay, rather than the silly "campaign". And menu's that actually remember what settings you had for a previous bot match.

37. Re: UT3 "Titan Pack" Plans Jan 27, 2009, 11:11 StreetPreacher

Re: People playing UT3 offline

It doesn't matter. Many players (myself included) mostly play bots, or rarely w/ friends on a LAN or via direct IP. But this is true for ALL UT games as the AI has been excellent all the way back through UT99. So one would expect the "Online vs. Offline" player ratio to be about the same for every version of the game. The fact that UT2K4 has ~15x more online players probably also means that it's got ~15x (or at least 10x) more offline players as well.

36. Re: UT3 Jan 27, 2009, 10:17 Vulkan

People do play UT3. Many just don't play it much online because the bot play is so good. I play UT3 at least three times a week for some quick matches but rarely online.

Good point, I'm guilty of that myself though in a slightly different variation: I like to play human vs bot LAN matches with a couple of friends.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2009, 10:18.

35. Re: UT3 Jan 27, 2009, 08:11 SpectralMeat

That's a great idea. I'll try that also.
Never thought about having all my games on a separate drive.

Steam: SpectralMeat

34. Re: UT3 "Titan Pack" Plans Jan 27, 2009, 07:50 theyarecomingforyou

You don't have to fuck with the disc with the retail version either. It has good old-fashioned DRM which means full unrestricted single-player and LAN mode and only a CD key required for online play.

UT3 was the perfect example of this. I enjoy it and like loading it up occasionally but after formats I simply couldn't be bothered installing it - now I have it on Steam I play it more often and will soon have Steam achievements to look forward to.

33. Re: UT3 Jan 27, 2009, 05:53 SpectralMeat

You don't have to fuck with the disc with the retail version either. It has good old-fashioned DRM which means full unrestricted single-player and LAN mode and only a CD key required for online play. Once you install the game, you don't need the disc any more. All you need is the CD key and the installed files, and you have the game forever. You can even copy it to another PC or run it from a network share and use the same CD key to play in LAN mode which is something you can't do with the Steam version (or any Steam games for that matter).

That's good to know thanks.

Steam: SpectralMeat

32. Re: UT3 Jan 27, 2009, 05:18 Dots

You can even copy it to another PC or run it from a network share and use the same CD key to play in LAN mode which is something you can't do with the Steam version (or any Steam games for that matter).
You kind of can, actually, you would just have to replace the executable first.

That said, for me, Steam's benefits wholly outweigh any negatives so nowadays I don't even bother buying any retail copies, everything I buy comes off Steam or Impulse or Gamer's Gate.

31. Re: UT3 "Titan Pack" Plans Jan 27, 2009, 04:21 KilrathiAce

Hmm did someone wake up at EPIC all of the sudden and decided to finilize UT3 for PC? That's how this seriously looks. I am not saying this is bad, I am actually shocked and impressed at same time, is just why did it take a year?  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo