Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Resident Evil 5 Confirmed?

YouTube offers a ten minute segment from Polish Gram TV discussing video gaming in Polish, naturally enough (for them at least). The program includes an interview with Jerzy Cichocki from CD Projekt that reveals plans for a PC edition of Resident Evil 5, a tidbit apparently picked up directly from Capcom. The comment comes at about the 4:20 mark in the video, and here is a translation provided by our tipster Kazek: "We know for sure that PC version RE5 will be released. We don't know when exactly but we expect that it will arrive to shops in second half 2009."

View
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

78. Re: PC RE5 Confirmed? Mar 17, 2009, 00:11 Karl_L

theyarecomingforyou

Your review scores are misleading.
Hitman 2 was reviewed years before Blood Money was released
Its like pulling out an old Wolf3d review (which would have scored highly in its day) and comparing it to something average for its time like Kane and Lynch.
And then concluding that Wolfenstein must be a more enjoyable game.

Doesn't really matter I guess since its pretty subjective.
But I agree with Jerykk. I thought Blood Money was great.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

77. Re: PC RE5 Confirmed? Jan 28, 2009, 15:06 Jerykk

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I loved Blood Money and think it is a classic in the stealth genre.  

76. Re: PC RE5 Confirmed? Jan 28, 2009, 13:03 theyarecomingforyou

I know but I find it pretty accurate. And you have to take into account that expansions / episodes always receive lower scores than the original even when released standalone (Crysis Warhead). It's also worth noting that games across platforms cannot be compared as there are a lot more console magazines that rate games on a scale of 1-10, which will obviously result in higher scores - giving Halo a 10/10 is very different to Half-Life getting a 97%. It's like movies - they have a dramatically wider score range but that doesn't mean a movie like Mamma Mia getting a 51 isn't better than Shaun White Snowboarding getting a 61; the commercial success of the former would suggest otherwise. As long as you know how to interpret the data then it is relevant.

All I was trying to demonstrate was that other people feel the same way as me (though comparing the user rating favours your argument). Personally I like to stick to a few review sites that I have found to be quite reliable, like Bit-Tech.net - I find it tends to be a lot more accurate than shit commercial sites like IGN and Gamespy. At the end of the day is comes largely down to personal opinions and mine remains the same - I didn't like Blood Money but found the previous games quite enjoyable. None of them are classics.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

75. Re: PC RE5 Confirmed? Jan 28, 2009, 11:58 Jerykk

Reviewers also think HL2 (96) is better than Ep 2 (87). They also think Halo Xbox (97) is better than than both. I don't put much thought into what reviewers think.  

74. Re: PC RE5 Confirmed? Jan 28, 2009, 06:57 theyarecomingforyou

That's your opinion. I disagree, as do reviewers:

Hitman Codename 47: 73
Hitman 2: 87
Hitman Contracts: 74
Hitman Blood Money: 82

73. Re: PC RE5 Confirmed? Jan 27, 2009, 23:13 Jerykk

However, Hitman 2 is the best game in the series - it holds up well for a 6yr old game and plays better than Blood Money does now (I've just played all three of them).

Definitely can't agree with you there. Most of the levels in Hitman 2 are rather poorly designed and offer only one or two ways to effectively take out your target. In addition, the AI is omniscient in that it can see through masks. Nothing quite like getting identified and sniped by an enemy in a tower a mile away even though you're wearing a full-body ninja suit with ski mask.

The AI in Blood Money is much more natural. If you're wearing a mask, they won't get paranoid unless they find you standing over a corpse or something. They'll also warn you before entering restricted areas instead of just shooting you on the spot.

Level design is vastly improved in Blood Money over the previous games. You have large, open levels with many different but equally effective ways to eliminate your targets. All the Hitman games involve trial and error but Hitman 2 was mostly about finding the only effective way to kill your target as opposed to Blood Money where you're looking for the best way. Each level is also very unique and memorable in Blood Money. In Hitman 2, you have a set of different locales (Russia, Japan, Afghanistan, etc) and then a bunch of forgettable and mostly linear mini-levels within each one. Blood Money also does a much better job of making you feel like an actual hitman. In the first two games, you travel the world, running through jungles, infiltrating secret mountain ninja compounds, terrorist bases, etc. It makes you feel like more of a commando than a hitman, especially given the fact that you are usually forced to shoot a lot of people. I got through Blood Money without ever firing a gun or killing anyone other than the targets.

The interface is also much improved in Blood Money. Instead of having a single interaction key like in the previous games, interactions are spread across three keys, allowing you to more easily and efficiently interact with the world.

And let's not forget the significant additions that Blood Money made to the series. You could hide bodies in dumpsters and other containers, you could permanently knock people out, you had melee attacks in case of emergencies, you could use people as human shields, you could throw knives, you could hide your gun behind your back, you could push people over ledges, you had remote explosives, you could poison food and drinks, you could climb up pipes and shimmy across ledges, you had weapon and item upgrades, you had a persistent notoriety and rating/reward system that encouraged stealth across the game... I really, really can't fathom why you (or anyone) would consider Hitman 2 a better game. It's like saying that HL2: Episode 1 is better than HL2: Episode 2. Simply baffling.

The Hitman series is one of the few series that has seen a steady progression in quality with each sequel. Hitman 2 was better than the original, Contracts was better than Hitman 2 and Blood Money is better than all of them.

72. Re: PC RE5 Confirmed? Jan 27, 2009, 22:10 theyarecomingforyou

Hitman 1 is obviously very dated now and doesn't stand up to today's standards in the slightest but it was enjoyable and fresh for the time. However, Hitman 2 is the best game in the series - it holds up well for a 6yr old game and plays better than Blood Money does now (I've just played all three of them). I really hope the new Hitman game can revitalise the series but based upon Blood Money I have low expectations.  

71. Re: PC RE5 Confirmed? Jan 27, 2009, 20:20 Jerykk

The animations were appalling - very stiff; the movement was slow, rather than merely deliberate / inconspicuous; the combat / shooting was simply terrible (apart from the piano wire); the game was buggy (completing certain mission objectives wouldn't register); interaction was poor and inconsistent.

All of these issues have been in the Hitman games since the first one. The first one had the worst cases of them all. Blood Money was easily the most polished. It also had the most open-ended levels, best AI, best controls, etc. It simply baffles me that you can hate Blood Money yet praise the others. I think you need to go back and play Hitman 1 again.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2009, 20:20.

70. Re: PC RE5 Confirmed? Jan 27, 2009, 18:24 theyarecomingforyou

You like the Hitman series but you think Blood Money was shockingly bad..? Wow. I'm speechless. Care to elaborate on why you dislike the game?
The animations were appalling - very stiff; the movement was slow, rather than merely deliberate / inconspicuous; the combat / shooting was simply terrible (apart from the piano wire); the game was buggy (completing certain mission objectives wouldn't register); interaction was poor and inconsistent. It was nice to be able to complete missions in a very freeform way but not enough to make playing the game worthwhile. I simply didn't find it at all enjoyable, unlike the original game.

Of course, if the basis of your argument consists of "It's wrong," don't bother explaining why you disagree.
And your position is that stealing is fine because you may pay for it at some point in the future when the price is low enough for you to tolerate. Your position is that capitalism, the system on which our society is based, doesn't apply to you because you aren't sure whether a game is worth your money. Your position is that laws are irrelevant and you can pick and choose which ones apply to you.

69. Re: PC RE5 Confirmed? Jan 27, 2009, 17:29 Jerykk

I got that games as part of the Eidos pack and found it to be shockingly bad. I'm stunned that the demo could actually be any worse than the full game.

You like the Hitman series but you think Blood Money was shockingly bad..? Wow. I'm speechless. Care to elaborate on why you dislike the game?

@Jerykk - What a weak way to justify piracy.

It's one of many ways. Doesn't seem particularly weak to me. Of course, if the basis of your argument consists of "It's wrong," don't bother explaining why you disagree.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2009, 17:46.

68. Re: PC Resident Evil 5 Confirmed? Jan 27, 2009, 16:40 Free Mumra

"Even Resident Evile 4, which was horrible ported, received enough mods and tweaks to make it clearly the best version of the game."

Fully modded, the PC version looks like the PS2 version with higher resolution textures and much, much worse lighting (none of the mods get it right and it completely ruins the atmosphere). Since the PC version is a port of the PS2 version, the models and environments use less polygons than the Gamecube version and the cutscenes are FMV rather than real-time. Mods and all, the PC version is the worst version of the game.

"The mouse mod for RE4 is horrible."

Yep, it's utterly unplayable with a mouse unfortunately. All of Capcom's Xbox 360 ports have pitiful mouse implementation.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2009, 16:47.

67. Re: PC Resident Evil 5 Confirmed? Jan 27, 2009, 12:51 Krovven

Those earlier videos are why I likened it to more of an Action-Adventure game (same with RE4) than a shooter. I have avoided info on RE5 since I knew I wanted to play it from the first videos they released.

Doesn't sound like they have changed it that much, but we'll see.

66. Re: PC Resident Evil 5 Confirmed? Jan 27, 2009, 12:31 PHJF

And to counter his stupid point, nobody said you should be able to run and shoot. You SHOULD be able to WALK and shoot, or at least dodge.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

65. Re: PC Resident Evil 5 Confirmed? Jan 27, 2009, 12:28 PHJF

Well there is a demo out, so why doesn't somebody with a 360 find out exactly how the game controls?

This somebody's response from the demo:

Character control remains largely the same, a proposition that worried me slightly until I finally got my hands on the demo.

I was one of many voices to question whether the inability to run and shoot at the same time would feel antiquated and clunky after seamless and fluid shooters like Call of Duty. It doesn't. It's that very feature that allows such rewarding precision and ruthless efficiency.

64. Re: PC RE5 Confirmed? Jan 27, 2009, 12:26 theyarecomingforyou

@Jerykk - What a weak way to justify piracy.

Conversely, a demo might make a game seem really crappy. The demo for Hitman: Blood Money was a terrible representation of the full game.
I got that games as part of the Eidos pack and found it to be shockingly bad. I'm stunned that the demo could actually be any worse than the full game. It's a real shame because I really like the Hitman series. I wish I could enjoy Kane & Lynch as well but there's a chronic bug that affects any USB keyboard with volume controls, causing the game to hang briefly every 3 seconds (rumoured to be related to the GfWL implementation to support the X360 controller) - the recommended workaround is a) unplugging your keyboard, or b) disabling the volume control under Device Manager. Shocking. Eidos really needs to sort its act out.

Perhaps we should redefine the RE series as 3rd-person-survival-action games from now on, to spare us all the confusion (or further exacerbate it).
But it's not about survival more than any other action game - it's lost the survival factor that defined the earlier games.

63. Re: PC Resident Evil 5 Confirmed? Jan 27, 2009, 03:41 Jerykk

wooohhh boy, no you cannot. Fire is "Right Trigger + X". Unless you have two thumbs on your right hand, you ain't movin and shootin.

That video is a bit old. A month after the video was posted, Capcom announced that the control scheme was being revised to be more like Gears of War.

http://kotaku.com/5044077/capcom-confirms-resident-evil-5-controls-change

And as for the definition of "zombies", they are not automatons anymore. They respond to direct orders from leaders, as is evident in the above trailer.

Responding to orders doesn't mean you aren't an automaton. In a strict sense, an automaton is defined only by its ability to literally move itself. While the zombies in RE4/5 can physically move themselves, they don't really have free will and their actions are determined by the things inside them.

Semantics aside, I can't say I'm really anticipating RE5. I felt that RE4 tried to create suspense by giving you clunky controls, slow movement and a character that blocks a third of your screen. RE5 seems even more action-oriented and that's not a good thing, as RE4 was a pretty lousy action game.

62. Re: PC Resident Evil 5 Confirmed? Jan 27, 2009, 03:24 PHJF

There is jumping, but it's locational. There are ledges/rooftops you can jump between. It's more like the later Zelda games: you jump when you have a reason to. There's really no reason to jump for the sake of jumping as this isn't Mario.  

61. Re: PC Resident Evil 5 Confirmed? Jan 27, 2009, 03:21 PHJF

wooohhh boy, no you cannot. Fire is "Right Trigger + X". Unless you have two thumbs on your right hand, you ain't movin and shootin.

Developer Walkthrough:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38910.html?type=

Quote from the developer himself:

So with this 360, um, controls are the same as you might remember with Resident Evil 4. Um, there's an actual button to actually bring up the shooting view, and there's an actual button to actually pull the trigger.

And as for the definition of "zombies", they are not automatons anymore. They respond to direct orders from leaders, as is evident in the above trailer.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2009, 03:24.

60. Re: PC Resident Evil 5 Confirmed? Jan 27, 2009, 03:15 Tanto Edge

The old argument with this dumb ass game series is the ridiculous control scheme (or complete lack).
I'm glad it's coming to the PC, this means someone can mod the game and put in some wicked features like... a jump button.
Imagine! Just imagine. A hero that... jumps! Doesn't just interact, but can like, just... Jump. What a concept, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

59. Re: PC Resident Evil 5 Confirmed? Jan 27, 2009, 03:03 Jerykk

As of RE4 they aren't actually zombies.

Well, that depends on what definition of zombie you use. If you use it in the traditional undead sense then yeah, they aren't zombies. However, they are indeed zombies if you use this definition:

a person whose behavior or responses are wooden, listless, or seemingly rote; automaton.

How are 360 players going to feel when they realize that, contrary to virtually every action game out there, they'll only be using the left thumbstick?

I believe I read somewhere that Capcom is updating the control scheme to more modern standards for RE5. In other words, you can now move and shoot at the same time.

78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo