Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Games for Windows Boss Axed

VentureBeat notes that one of last week's layoff's at Microsoft was Chris Early, who had headed up the Games for Windows program. Early has not been reached yet for comment, but his email now returns a bounce message saying his time at Microsoft "has come to a close." Games for Windows launched almost two years ago, but it hasn't quite taken the gaming world by storm, and with belts tightening at Microsoft, author of the VentureBeat article Dean Takahashi questions how long they will be willing to continue investing heavily in this program. Thanks Spong.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

21. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 14:55 VoodooV

The program - as I predicted here on Blues - was doomed to fail from day one. Why? Because MS wanted to monetize it while giving nothing worth having in return.

Sorry, but you earn zero cred for that "prediction" as a ton of people were skeptical about GfW from the start. It's not exactly an earth shattering revelation that it was nothing but lip service.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 14:52 Creston

From Penny Arcade :

I was checking out this functionality while Netflix showed my son the episode of Mighty Machines where trees are transformed into lumber. I was surprised to learn that signing in to Games For Windows Live signed out my Xbox, which meant that a Gold Account was no longer signed in, negating my access to video streaming. Now perhaps it's more clear why they don't allow you access to Xbox Live directly from the Windows shell: because they have no idea how to manage this incredibly rudimentary scenario.

That sounds pretty fucking awesome. Microsoft FTW!

Unbelievable...

Creston

19. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 14:45 Bluesfanboi

Games for Windows...too bad they wanted to use that a marketing slogan rather than a real framework for improved compatibility and functionality.

I'm so glad the greedy micro-transaction proponents and gamers-as-cash-cow thieves and the soulless unfun suits are being squeezed out of Microsoft like unwanted seeds from over ripe fruit.

Nothing about GFW worked: DX10 split code paths, Live! didn't help as nearly every single Windows game has its own multiplayer browser, marketing sucked (as usual), Widescreen support wasn't and the kicker was: Vista. No one wants it and GFW had a 64-bit Vista compatibility clause. No wonder it failed!

Microsoft is done, they just don't know it yet. The holy grail will be a user customizable OS, compiled for your specific hardware. Soon, soon. Keep at it guys.

18. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 14:35 RP

How is that bollocks? You think there are secretly millions of WINE users?

These days, an OS is about as good as its applications. If Windows hypothetically lost its gaming edge, then it's one less reason to use the OS.

17. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 14:34 Kxmode

Is this Games for Windows or Games for Windows Live? Are they the same? I'm a little confused.  

16. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 14:29  dsmart 

PC gaming might not put money directly in their pockets like Xbox royalties, but it keeps people using Windows.

Bollocks.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

15. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 14:29 TheMilkman

Can someone tell me what Games For Windows is supposed to do? I buy a TON of games, and I play a TON of games, and I'm still not sure what Games For Windows is. Is it a distribution system like Steam? Is it a multiplayer thing like Battle.net? Because as far as I can tell, it's just a logo on a box.  

14. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 14:24 RP

Meh, without good PC games, millions of people eventually switch to Linux and OS X. Gaming is the only thing keeping me interested in MS's sorry-ass operating systems.

PC gaming might not put money directly in their pockets like Xbox royalties, but it keeps people using Windows.

13. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 14:24 Krovven

I’ll hold off on celebrating until the news reads “Game for Windows Live” axed!

Ditto. Just because someone was fired, doesn't equal the program being shut down.

12. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 14:19 DangerDog

I’ll hold off on celebrating until the news reads “Game for Windows Live” axed!  

11. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 14:19  dsmart 

You assholes need to stop insulting people YOU DON'T KNOW!!!

Chris is a very nice guy and contrary to popular belief, is NOT soley responsible for the farce that became of the Games For Windows program.

Someone has to be blamed for the program's failure; but that blame squarely lands at the feet of Microsoft and those ABOVE Chris's pay grade.

The program - as I predicted here on Blues - was doomed to fail from day one. Why? Because MS wanted to monetize it while giving nothing worth having in return.

I have also said time and time again that MS doesn't give a damn about PC gaming as they do about console gaming. They can't monetize PC gaming apart from actually...oh I dunno....RELEASING PC games?

Once they entered the console arena, it was game over for PC gaming. Even so, they STILL tried to monetize it by making DX10 a Vista exclusive. We know how that went.

GfW is a sound concept, but the execution - and their desire to monetize it while adding NOTHING worthy of the cost - has been disastrous.

I'm sure Chris will find a job eventually.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

10. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 14:00 Prez

Good riddance. Games For Windows was an insult to PC Gamers. At least they could have tried to make it look like more than lip service and empty rhetoric.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 13:51 g_mann

waazzzup Crestion  

8. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 13:49 Parallax Abstraction

Ed Fries is doing a bunch of stuff now. He runs that FigurePrints company that does the action figures of people WoW characters and he's on the board of Airtight Games, the company that's making Dark Void for Capcom. He does 2 or 3 other things too I remember him saying on a podcast a while back. He's definitely keeping busy.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

7. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 13:47 nin

Had Ed Fries still been around I've no doubt the GFW initiative would've worked. He was the last guy left at MS who truly gave a shit about Windows as a gaming platform.

Where'd he end up? I remember reading those xbox books that Takahashi wrote, and they said he left, but I can't remember for where...

And yeah, Ed really understood gaming, from everything I read...

edit: from wikipedia:
Fries is currently working on bringing his favorite game, World of Warcraft, to three-dimensional life with his startup company, Figure Prints. The company makes 3D models of a player's characters using a fleet of Z Corporation printers. Within the first 12 hours of his company going live, over 4,000 people had requested an order for a model. Fries explains in an interview that each model can take about 1 week to complete.

Hmmm...

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2009, 13:48.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 13:43 Hump

Had Ed Fries still been around I've no doubt the GFW initiative would've worked. He was the last guy left at MS who truly gave a shit about Windows as a gaming platform. As a matter of fact, I beleive he was the last guy in MS management who actually knew gamers and didn't treat the community like a bunch of naive adolescent money-bags.

MS used to be a fantastic dev studio in and of itself. Too bad there isn't any passion left in Redmond for the hobby.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

5. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 13:42 Grounded

Guess that is part of the MS layoffs!  

4. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 13:41 nin

Bye dipshit!

Exactly.

See ya, fucker!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re:Good Call Jan 26, 2009, 13:37 Techie714 ©

Mr. Early really screwed up that whole GFW initiative. Maybe he didn't have the full support of the upper management but either way that whole program needs to be seriously re-tooled. It has potential to be a great platform, just needs to be executed RIGHT. They need to focus more on better benchmarking, easier labeling, a big PR campaign that encourages PC gaming, etc.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

2. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 13:33 Flo

Then Relic needs to think about cutting GfW out of DoW II  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >