Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Left 4 Dead Patched

Steam News has word a Left 4 Dead update is available, closing off a couple of exploits in Valve's teamplay zombie shooter, including the melee weapon switch scam.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Jan 24, 2009, 23:14 xXBatmanXx

Game is still broken. Shit doesn't work like they said it does.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Jan 24, 2009, 23:06 Ant

Prez: Let them finish their Black Mesa mod and releasing it for free first!!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

24. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Jan 24, 2009, 20:49 Ruffiana

I completely disagree with this. I play just about every night and the experience is completely different every time you play. I've already gotten many more hours of enjoyment out of this game than others that I paid $50 or even $60 for.

More campaigns would be welcome, but the game is already worth the price I paid for it.

23. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Jan 24, 2009, 14:48 Prez

Does anyone else think it would be a good idea for Valve to snap up the Black Mesa Source team for bundling with Ep3?

Yes.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Jan 24, 2009, 14:08 StingingVelvet

L4D needs at least another 4 campaigns to be able to justify it's 50$ price tag.

I don't know if I agree with that in terms of official campaigns, but I agree the game needs more content. Personally I went into the game with the idea that "this game + mods = $50." I'm mostly a single-player guy, so for me the game was 5 hours or so long. I bought it for the awesome mods that will come, like the already revealed Dawn of the Dead mod.

I'm just saying be patient... it's only been 8-9 weeks since the game launched, and they probably made patches a priority (and rightly so).

21. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Jan 24, 2009, 13:34 StreetPreacher

Does anyone else think it would be a good idea for Valve to snap up the Black Mesa Source team for bundling with Ep3?
Absolutely. Not only would it reward them for the quality work done to date (at least judging from the screens), it'd also ensure that the mod actually gets released.

20. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Jan 24, 2009, 11:11 theyarecomingforyou

Not to sound like an irrational fanboy but there is a lot of precedent about Valve.
Firstly, it's not irrational when they have been so consistent. Secondly, it is usually me that is seen as an irrational Valve fanboy despite my criticism of Valve where appropriate.

I know that Left 4 Dead will be supported - it's Valve's first full priced retail game based on new IP. It's just how quickly that support comes and how substantial it will be. With TF2 they added new game modes and have been retooling classes, with talk of a possible tenth class and confirmation of another new game mode. Adding more campaigns to L4D should only be part of the equation - new weapons, new infected, new gameplay is what's needed. I'm still disappointed with matchmaking in general, particularly after problem-free TF2 was.

Valve has a proven track record but my fear is they're spreading themselves too thin. Supporting TF2 and L4D and working on Ep3 (a title taking as long as a full game and still no confirmation of a 2009 release - it better have a full graphical overhaul or more content), with the likelihood of other titles such as Portal 2 and the inevitable Half-Life 3. Actually, I'm surprised more content hasn't been released for Portal. Also, by releasing class unlocks for TF2 they have locked themselves into releasing updates for the remaining 6 classes, something that is likely to take some substantial resources - with Counter-Strike Source and Left 4 Dead there was never any confirmed quantity of content, so they could be supported or dropped whenever.

PS - Does anyone else think it would be a good idea for Valve to snap up the Black Mesa Source team for bundling with Ep3? It looks incredibly impressive and would allow them to use the original voice actors. It would also please fans and give Valve control over the content, making it canon. They already snapped up the guy that did MINERVA: Metastasis and Turtle Rock (L4D and CSS content).

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

19. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Jan 24, 2009, 11:04 TorTorden

So, just how many months is "soon" in Valve time?

aproximately 2.3 years

----------------------------
Yes, I abuse grammar by opening my mouth.

18. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Jan 24, 2009, 10:29 Overon

Not to sound like an irrational fanboy but there is a lot of precedent about Valve. Yes the game cost 50 and compared to stuff like TF2, there is a lot more content for 30 bucks when TF2 came out. But his is Valve and you know how they operate. Right now I agree, 50 bucks and not a lot of content but there is no doubt that's going to change.  

17. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Jan 24, 2009, 10:27 theyarecomingforyou

When TF2 was released it had a lot bugs, correct but it offered lots of content (9 characters with different abilities, lot of tactics to try and test out) and above all you could get that all for 20 bucks.
Personally I thought the opposite. It was very polished (I didn't come across any bugs) but lacked content (only six maps at launch, only one CTF) - the updates were mainly to address balance, something that will always need addressing after launch.

L4D is available for 50$ on Steam and it offers only four small campaigns with limited replay value. People are just expected way more content for 50$
Indeed. My biggest criticism was that the price tag was very high for something with less replayability than TF2. Fortunately I picked it up for considerably cheaper than the Steam price. That's why it seems strange that things have been so quiet when it was a more expensive game, thereby one would assume more worth of support.

L4D needs at least another 4 campaigns to be able to justify it's 50$ price tag.
Not to justify it but to make it stand up to previous Valve offerings. It's also disappointing that versus mode is chronically unbalanced and nowhere near as much fun as I was hoping - picking your own spawn point for infected is pretty lame.

I love Left 4 Dead but it's lacking somewhat in replayability.

16. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Jan 24, 2009, 09:33 vacs

It just comes off rather whiney and spoiled when people complain about getting new content only 2 months after release. I don't think anyone would turn it down now, that's for sure, but to already be saying things like "come on Valve WHEN?" is rather silly.

I think you are forgetting something. When TF2 was released it had a lot bugs, correct but it offered lots of content (9 characters with different abilities, lot of tactics to try and test out) and above all you could get that all for 20 bucks.

L4D is available for 50$ on Steam and it offers only four small campaigns with limited replay value. People are just expected way more content for 50$, especially because you can get games like Fallout 3, FarCry 2 or STALKER for the same price and offering at least 10 times the amount of content and production value.

15. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Jan 24, 2009, 08:42 StingingVelvet

Why not? Valve was more proactive with TF2, which received constant balance adjustments and new maps long before the DLC was announced. Heck, Valve has been talking about the new TF2 update that's due out soon. The updates to Left 4 Dead have been much slower and much less substantial, though obviously a co-op game is less likely to need changes that a team-based multiplayer game.

It just comes off rather whiney and spoiled when people complain about getting new content only 2 months after release. I don't think anyone would turn it down now, that's for sure, but to already be saying things like "come on Valve WHEN?" is rather silly.

Maybe if I was playing it every night like so many people on my Steam friends list are, I would agree with you. I actually play other games, however.

14. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Jan 24, 2009, 08:19 rist3903

great fun on expert. that's what the game is meant for

agreed vacs.

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 2009, 08:23.

13. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Jan 24, 2009, 08:17 theyarecomingforyou

Games been out for just over 2 months and you're expecting new content and the SDK?
Why not? Valve was more proactive with TF2, which received constant balance adjustments and new maps long before the DLC was announced. Heck, Valve has been talking about the new TF2 update that's due out soon. The updates to Left 4 Dead have been much slower and much less substantial, though obviously a co-op game is less likely to need changes that a team-based multiplayer game.

12. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Jan 24, 2009, 06:08 vacs

They fixed the melee exploit - makes it tougher.

I am still trying to finish all of the campaigns on Advanced. I shudder to think how I'm ever going to finish them on expert.

Didn't notice much change and I finish yesterday my last campaign on expert.

It all actually depends on the team, if you are playing in a great team, even expert is not really that difficult. We only had play the 4th chapter two times and completed the finale on the first run (with actually only one surviving but without teamplay, no one would have survived).

great fun on expert. that's what the game is meant for

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 2009, 06:11.

11. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Jan 24, 2009, 05:17 Ventura

Not to mention there actually has been word on both

Great, I don't know about anyone else but I'm sure going to be able to sleep better at night now.

I love my coop, but the single player experience in L4D is the same shit over and over. Once the whole "it's cool how they rush" novelty thing wears off, you'll find yourself putting the game down pretty quickly.

They could patch crash bugs and exploits until the cows come home for the difference it makes to me. I won't be touching it again until the SDK is released and we start seeing some custom content.

Hype is hugest for a game at it's release. That's when they'd want to have the sdk ready to go. But no, they gotta pop it out a quarter of a year later. What are they doing, waiting until the point at which nobody cares?

10. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Jan 24, 2009, 03:05 Ruffiana

Games been out for just over 2 months and you're expecting new content and the SDK?

Not to mention there actually has been word on both.

9. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Jan 24, 2009, 02:00 Wowbagger_TIP

Smoker seems to grab fine for me. Haven't really had any trouble with it since the last patch.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

8. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Jan 24, 2009, 01:41 Prez

They fixed the melee exploit - makes it tougher.

I am still trying to finish all of the campaigns on Advanced. I shudder to think how I'm ever going to finish them on expert. Shocked

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Jan 24, 2009, 01:16 Veinman

Played tonight, and it sure seems like the difficulty has been increased.  

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo