Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Assassin's Creed 2 This Year & New Ghost Recon

Edge Online reports on Ubisoft's post-earnings conference call, in which Ubi CEO Yves Guillemot confirms development of an Assassin's Creed sequel and a new Ghost Recon game. Both games are on Ubi's schedule for release during fiscal 2010, which ends March 2010, but Guillemot expresses the goal of getting Assassin's Creed 2 out before the end of this year, praising the first game in the stealth action series for outstripping their sales expectations. He also apparently unofficially revealed plans for Red Steel II, a sequel to their Wii shooter. No title was revealed for the new Ghost Recon game. Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Assassin's Creed 2 This Year & New Ghost Recon Jan 23, 2009, 11:32 Donkey_Punch

I wouldn't be surprised if UBI makes the new Ghost Recon game a port. It certainly is the direction they have been headed (ie look at Rainbow Six series now all horrible arcade ports)  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Assassin's Creed 2 This Year & New Ghost Recon Jan 23, 2009, 04:07 Jerykk

As a port, AC was fine. It ran well and worked well with mouse and keyboard. The problem is that the gameplay was fundamentally shallow. I think AC might be the dumbest game I've played in a long, long time. Platforming required only that you hold down one button. Combat required that you hold down a button, then press another each time an enemy attacked. Stealth revolved around finding arbitrarily placed "hiding" spots like a bench in plain sight and then "hiding" until a timer ran out. Even if you were able to overlook all the mechanical failings of the game, the sheer repetition of the missions was ridiculous.

I loved the open-world and setting of AC but everything else was crap.

18. Re: Assassin's Creed 2 This Year & New Ghost Recon Jan 22, 2009, 22:27 theyarecomingforyou

Assassin's Creed didn't play like a port, it was just a shallow game. I enjoyed it initially but it got old quickly. The engine was incredible though, not just for appearance but how well it ran. I really hope they can make the gameplay compelling because there is definitely potential in the concept.

As for other Ubisoft games, I picked up Vegas 2 when it was on sale and, after getting over the odd movement / feel due to the console roots, it's actually a surprisingly fun game. I really like the way you equip your character and you get unlocks - it connects you to the game in a way other games don't. The biggest problem is that the friendly AI is absolutely dire, while the cover system is just pointless when you can aim with precision. Still, it's a shame they stripped out all the tactical side that made the original Rainbow Six such a great game.

I just hope Ubisoft can get the balance between action and depth right going into the future, as Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 2 failed.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

17. Re: Assassin's Creed 2 This Year & New Ghost Recon Jan 22, 2009, 20:39 Cutter

Ass Creed sucked. Talk about repetitive dreck!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

16. Re: Assassin's Creed 2 This Year & New Ghost Recon Jan 22, 2009, 20:36 The Half Elf

The only 'dumbfucks' here are yourself and Crimson.

Educate yourself before you make comments that make youself look like an idiot. But hey I guess it's ok considering your 'style' is shitty console ports.

As for the engines performing badly? What were you playing it on anyway?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. Re: Assassin's Creed 2 This Year & New Ghost Recon Jan 22, 2009, 19:56 Muscular Beaver

I dont know if GRAW was made specifically for the PC or not, but they surely felt like console games. Couldnt keep me playing.

Same to Assassin's Creed. Sure, the graphics, animations, cities were done awesome, but the game lacked a soul and good PC controls. I also didnt like the weird story. They should have simply put the whole game in the medieval age and not some memory recall bullshit. I stopped playing it after the third mission because the gameplay got extremely boring.

Yeah I really hope they learn from their failures, but honestly I doubt they will change much since those games got enough fanboys who love them without question.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2009, 19:58.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

14. Re: Assassin's Creed 2 This Year & New Ghost Recon Jan 22, 2009, 19:52 Prez

Really liked GRAW myself, though it wasn't the Ghost Recon I remember. (I DID hate that you couldn't see the weapons; something GRAW fixed nicely).

Assassin's Creed is a fantastic premise waiting to be made into a stellar gaming experience. I enjoyed the first on PC, but I kind of doubt the sequel will be released on PC judging by the stink Ubisoft made about piracy about the first one.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2009, 19:58.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Assassin's Creed 2 This Year & New Ghost Recon Jan 22, 2009, 19:35 StingingVelvet

Actually the games were very much my style. Especially the 2nd part of GRAW (not as good as Ghost Recon but close and I really liked it despite some severe shortcomings). Yet they were pretty bad ports. The engine performed fairly horribly on PCs. The (unpatched) games were pretty shaky and producing random crashes to desktop with cryptic error messages. The interface certainly had some console leftovers (the oversized diamonds on teammates for one), especially if you were playing at higher resolutions on the PC. What was up with the lack of quick save? Really just a gameplay feature or did the checkpoint save system from the consoles just have to do? And so on...

Were the GRAWs better off than most other shitty console ports from Ubi? Hell yeah. They were. And I commend them for putting at least some effort into hiding the console heritage. But to repeat their marketing crap that the games were "made specifically for the PC" is a bit too much... honestly.

But... they were COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAMES. They shared some assets, yes, but they were... again... COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAMES.

How can a game be a pad port when it was built just for the PC, a PC exclusive, a.k.a. only on PC. Yes, maybe the large UI markers were because they uses the same assets as the console games (oh God how horrible) but everything else you mention was a decision made by Grin, not a limitation based on porting from console, since the games were not ported from the console, because they were COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAMES.

You mention "a bit much"... you know what's a bit much, really? What I think is completely and utterly a bit much? Ubisoft takes over the GR license and decides to make some action-tactical games that appeal to a broader audience and put them on consoles. Someone says "what about the PC ports? They're more used to a full-on tactical game." So they put a lot of money and a lot of time in to please you and make the PC versions COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAMES that are roughly a billion times more tactical and PC-like.

And what do you do? You complain they're "crappy console ports" anyway because the UI diamonds are too big.

THAT, my friend, is "a bit much."

And PC gamer negativity train rolls on...

12. Re: Assassin's Creed 2 This Year & New Ghost Recon Jan 22, 2009, 19:00 CJ_Parker

...and GRAW was made specifically for PCs...

As long as dumbfucks like you keep believing in these fairytales Ubi will continue to release shitty console ports. Thanks a lot.

If the games weren't your style then fine, but don't call them bad ports, because they weren't.

Actually the games were very much my style. Especially the 2nd part of GRAW (not as good as Ghost Recon but close and I really liked it despite some severe shortcomings). Yet they were pretty bad ports. The engine performed fairly horribly on PCs. The (unpatched) games were pretty shaky and producing random crashes to desktop with cryptic error messages. The interface certainly had some console leftovers (the oversized diamonds on teammates for one), especially if you were playing at higher resolutions on the PC. What was up with the lack of quick save? Really just a gameplay feature or did the checkpoint save system from the consoles just have to do? And so on...

Were the GRAWs better off than most other shitty console ports from Ubi? Hell yeah. They were. And I commend them for putting at least some effort into hiding the console heritage. But to repeat their marketing crap that the games were "made specifically for the PC" is a bit too much... honestly.

11. Re: Assassin's Creed 2 This Year & New Ghost Recon Jan 22, 2009, 18:25 The Half Elf

I will say the cover system in Vegas 1 (not played 2) was nice, but I agree I wish they had included all the goodies from the previous games.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

10. Re: Assassin's Creed 2 This Year & New Ghost Recon Jan 22, 2009, 18:19 Vomulus

I never finished AC, the beautiful gfx/environments and new style of gameplay kept me entertained for a little while but the gameplay became to much wash, rinse, repeat. Here's to a better AC2 Thumbsup

Never cared for the GR series, fun factor/game difficulty not to my taste.

9. Re: Assassin's Creed 2 This Year & New Ghost Recon Jan 22, 2009, 17:57 Marvin T. Martian

Ghost Recon != GRAW

Ghost Recon >>>> GRAW

No matter which you prefer, neither was a console port.

So what--Ghost Recon--GOOD

UBI gets it and the result-

GRAW 1 and 2---POS!!!!!!

Raven Shield===GOOD

UBI gives Lockdown and Vegas--UBER POS!

Both destroyed the franchise (except for the UBI console generation who don't know any better who really don't have a clue)

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2009, 17:59.

8. Re: Assassin's Creed 2 This Year & New Ghost Recon Jan 22, 2009, 17:47 Wowbagger_TIP

That's true. AC was not the typical half-assed port. It was done pretty well. I never had any problems with it. It was unfortunate that the game was so endlessly repetitive. I, too, hope that the sequel actually makes things interesting.

The game has a lot of unrealized potential beyond the simplistic missions, one-trick combat, and silly gathering of every goddamn flag in the world. If that's the best incentive they can give you to keep playing, they do need to go back to the drawing board.

While the GRAW games definitely aren't GR games, they were still pretty fun. I don't see us getting another GR game anytime soon, so GRAW3 is better than nothing. Maybe some smaller dev will create a new GR-like franchise.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2009, 17:50.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

7. Re: Assassin's Creed 2 This Year & New Ghost Recon Jan 22, 2009, 17:46 StingingVelvet

Ghost Recon != GRAW

Ghost Recon >>>> GRAW

No matter which you prefer, neither was a console port.

6. Re: Assassin's Creed 2 This Year & New Ghost Recon Jan 22, 2009, 17:42 PHJF

Ghost Recon != GRAW

Ghost Recon >>>> GRAW

Steam + PSN: PHJF

5. Re: Assassin's Creed 2 This Year & New Ghost Recon Jan 22, 2009, 17:31 StingingVelvet

Great. More shitty console ports from Ubi is just what the world really needs this year.

What are you going on about Mr. Negative? Ghost Recon was never a console port and GRAW was made specifically for PCs. Assassin's Creed was a port, but a DAMN good one.

If the games weren't your style then fine, but don't call them bad ports, because they weren't.

4. Re: Assassin's Creed 2 This Year & New Ghost Recon Jan 22, 2009, 17:28 The Half Elf

If I remember correctly the Ghost Recon games have NOT been console ports. And personally I would love to spend more time in the Assassin Creed Universe (minus the horrible between assassination missions).  

3. Re: Assassin's Creed 2 This Year & New Ghost Recon Jan 22, 2009, 17:28 CrimsonPaw

Hopefully they REALLY learn from the shortcomings of the original AC for AC2. If they could fix the flow of the missions, I would be willing to keep an eye on it.  
~~Crim~~

2. No subject Jan 22, 2009, 17:07 CJ_Parker

Great. More shitty console ports from Ubi is just what the world really needs this year.

1. Re: Assassin's Creed 2 This Year & New Ghost Recon Jan 22, 2009, 17:02 Overon

Is Jade Raymond involved in any of these games?  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo